Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ugly and boring towns...

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
Really? If you are into history, it is anything but dull!

Pompey has a bit of history, navy dockyards etc...What has Southampton got? Bargates is it? Even with family there, I can't warm to Southampton.

The walk to the bus in Luton was better than usual last night - one speeding police car, classic drunks, lots of ace lager drinking, and a decent near fight/stand off between two groups of Eastern Europeans in the town centre..one had a suit on and was weilding what looked like a croquet stick. Brilliant.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
Yes same old, same old with you again, slagging off Sussex towns.

Yes indeed, me and MANY others in this post, who aren't holding back with their views. But thank you very much for singling me out, again! I feel so honoured! :thumbsup:

Since the original post asked for it....i cant pretend otherwise......Newhaven is ugly, and dull....there I said it!! Oh yeah, and I wasn't the first :bigwave::facepalm:

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Redditch - horrible town in the West Midlands. Got involved in a very heated exchange in the KFC there. The whole town felt hostile with thick Brummies and immigrants.

Stevenage - no character with it being a new town. The underpasses make finding things more difficult. Chav capital of Britain.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
How very fecking dare YOU squire! Sure you are not muddling my adopted home town with somewhere else? Might be considered a tad dull by some, but certainly not rough :D (I wouldn't be raising a family here if it was that bad!) ALTHOUGH it is the only town to have been put in Room 101, by Mel and Sue!

I'll be training in Luton again tonight...and the walk to the town centre is truly something to behold. Know a few people there and a few Luton fans, so find it hard to be too cruel..

My votes - Stevenage anyone? hideous. Port Talbot (Jesus wept), Gillingham (their high street is like the roughest part of many towns), Dover is grim too.

Southampton up there for pure dullness.

I'll see your Port Talbot, and raise you Ebbw Vale.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Pompey has a bit of history, navy dockyards etc...What has Southampton got? Bargates is it? Even with family there, I can't warm to Southampton.

The walk to the bus in Luton was better than usual last night - one speeding police car, classic drunks, lots of ace lager drinking, and a decent near fight/stand off between two groups of Eastern Europeans in the town centre..one had a suit on and was weilding what looked like a croquet stick. Brilliant.

Southampton has got more of the original medieval walls to the town standing than York has. It was a Saxon settlement (hamwic). It was the centre of the Wine-trade - imports from Bordeaux - in the middle ages and there are parts of the old wine cellars exposed down at the bottom end of below bar. It has a pub - The red Lion below bar - which is reputed to have been used as the court-room for the trial of the traitors Scroop, Masham and Grey, as depicted in Shakespeare's Henry the fifth. It was where Henry V set sail from to invade France. It was where loads of Huguenots came to when they were kicked out of France. It was where the mayflower set sail from before it stopped off at Plymouth (I believe it might have started off even further round. It has old buildings like Tudor Merchant's House, and more recently it was where the Titanic set sail from on its maiden voyage, so if you ever see a list of the crew lost when the Titanic was lost, the vast majority of them have Southampton addresses. There are seven different monuments in Southampton to groups who perished on the Titanic - the Musicians, the Engineers and so on.

It is also quite good for shopping, and is getting better all the time as bits of the City centre developed.

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
Do people actually live in Wivelsfield, I know the train stops there but I've never seen anybody get on or off. It looks utterly souless.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I'm a bit surprised they've suggested Leamington Spa as an ugly town. I think it's rather pleasant, myself.

You're right. I was there last week, lovely elegant architecture as just about any spa town boasts. It's a joke.

I lived in leamington for a few years and still still would if the houses were cheaper. I moved to Warwick instead. Leam is a great place, lots of nice bars and restaurants and loads of parks in town too. The buildings are fantastic. It was queen Victoria's favourite holiday destination which suggests it is not too shabby. I lived in Coventry during Uni and still work there. Now that is a bad place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here