Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Two bids in for Grant and Francis..

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008
I've heard this rumour as well. I'm lead to believe we will definitely sign Grant for 300k, and will be completed as soon as he, and Russell comes back from holiday

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
aww don't be that way! notice i said sideways not backward. teams like us are very similar nowadays so i don't really see either player benefiting from this potential move.

Well seeing as soon we will have a brand new stadium and have more potential than Southend I don't see it as a move sideways. Southend have done very well given over the last few seasons their modest circumstances but then so have we. The fact that we want to sign better players and can afford to do so more than Southend speaks for itself.

That said of course it remains to be seen if we can do better. Leeds have shown over the last two seasons that size is not the be all and end all. Having MK Dons, Charlton, Southampton and especially Norwich will make this next season tougher than last. That's without yourselves, Huddersfield to name but two as well. The big problem here is attracting players as it's far cheaper to live in places like Leeds (mind you, who would want to live in a dump like Leeds is another matter).

Aug 30, 2007
Well seeing as soon we will have a brand new stadium and have more potential than Southend I don't see it as a move sideways. Southend have done very well given over the last few seasons their modest circumstances but then so have we. The fact that we want to sign better players and can afford to do so more than Southend speaks for itself.).

Coming from a club that gets 5000 to 6000 home support.lol:lolol:

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
Coming from a club that gets 5000 to 6000 home support.lol:lolol:

I am sick of this kind of comment. We play at a shitty athletics stadium and there has been a lot of nonsense at the club recently (now resolved). Bottom line is that Brighton and Hove Albion are in a better position than Southend financially and will in the next few seasons far overtake you lot in both league status and size.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
I think that a very high percentage of players at this level move purely for financial reasons whether it be the signing on fee, long term contract security or cost of living. Most players at this level will only ever dream of playing in the premiership/ championship so a move to a club like Brighton or Southend is rarely motivated by ambition more by necessity. Hopefully we as a club are laying the foundations not only for Falmer but the next 20 years and if we can sell the club to our targets it will be the first steps towards the championship. I don't know a lot about Southend as a club but I think we will pull away from them over the next 5 years if the current circumstances remain the same

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
please check the list of average attendances for league 1 last season, although we have a small (ahem) stadium, we had one of the higher average attendances for the season

Spot on, playing at an athletics track with such poor performances and high ticket prices i think our home attendances were very good. Personally i struggle to imagine Southend getting as many home fans as we did in those circumstances and that stadium. The average away support figures show that we certainly have the fans, many of whom we know do not go simply because of being fed up of paying such stupid prices at a shocking ground. I think its clear that the club has far more potential than southend, so would see it as a good move.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
To be honest, I know little about either of these two and reading the Shrimpers board (they don't type how they speak do they..... ?) there is a mix review on both these players.

I am slowly wishing away this summer. I now want it to be early July so we start to see some transfer activity.

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005
im the same July would be great, partly becausse there are pre season friendlies but also because of new signings and my holiday is booked then. All work and no juicy transfer gossip makes June a dull month.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here