Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Turkish referee punched to the ground by club president

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Crikey.

I am not a supporter of Arsenal or Liverpool, but I am quite relaxed by Clippety and Captain Black. What they blither on about in post match interviews is simply panto at worst, and 'sorry I wasn't listening' at best. 'Bile'? Gosh.
But that's the problem isn't it? It's not panto; it's real people with real lives outside of football.

When Arteta is foaming at the mouth and ranting about decisions being "embarrassing" and "a disgrace" etc, the ref(s) involved probably have kids who have to go to school on Monday and put up with the same from classmates etc. For me, it's far from panto.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
But that's the problem isn't it? It's not panto; it's real people with real lives outside of football.

When Arteta is foaming at the mouth and ranting about decisions being "embarrassing" and "a disgrace" etc, the ref(s) involved probably have kids who have to go to school on Monday and put up with the same from classmates etc. For me, it's far from panto.
Ah, well, if they step over the line and say things that are not true, then they should be made to apologise (and pay a fine and enjoy a touchline ban, etc.)

Not be subjected to being punched in the face by an outraged referee.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Ah, well, if they step over the line and say things that are not true, then they should be made to apologise (and pay a fine and enjoy a touchline ban, etc.)
None of that changes anything, if we genuinely want to change behaviour, rather than simply react to it. I lost count how many managers were serving touchline bans this weekend just gone.

If we want to have a re-set, then after his Newcastle outburst Arteta should have been informed that referees and referees assistants are no longer available to officiate Arsenal matches. Why should they?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
None of that changes anything, if we genuinely want to change behaviour, rather than simply react to it. I lost count how many managers were serving touchline bans this weekend just gone.

If we want to have a re-set, then after his Newcastle outburst Arteta should have been informed that referees and referees assistants are no longer available to officiate Arsenal matches. Why should they?
Apologies. This sounds like an outburst beyond my ken, and unfortunately I missed it, so I will accept you assessment. I'll take a look at what he said later on. Perhaps he can be sued for defamation if it is as bad as you imply.

Good to see you back, by the way :thumbsup:

el punal

So, Greek and now Turkish football 'on hold'?

I blame Helen of Troy.
Beware of Greeks bearing biffs is what I say.

Would you describe what that naughty club president did to the ref as a ‘Turkish Delight’.

As for Helen she very busy launching a thousand ships so you can’t really blame her. :drink:

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East

Agreed.

But what drives the managers to take this aggressive stance and use language that stirs up negative attitudes toward officials?

It's the environment within which they work for their whole football careers that leads to the hyperbolic language. Or at least, the culmination of their work: every match in front of fans where we (on the whole) demand fight, passion and aggression.

How often do people bemoan the lack of Amex atmosphere compared to a more febrile, seething cauldron of a stadium? We're too nice as fans... The Amex is welcoming to the opposition... Too many happy-clappers... People don't seem to 'care' enough. Where's the passion?

Often it's a sense of injustice that gets the crowd going - a (perceived) poor reffing decision, a nasty challenge, or some pantomime crowd interaction from someone like Zaha or Ramsdale. Something to elicit an angry reaction from the crowd = swearing, jeering, personal attacks on the ref or player and a cranking up of the volume, mostly due to anger. I would say that there's 80-90% of the crowd that understand where the line is - it's part of the fan 'interaction' and the pantomime rather than anything sinister (and I enjoy this as much as the next man).
That still leaves plenty of room for a minority of berks whose anger is real (assisted by low intelligence or drugs or alcohol, or maybe all 3) and results in actual violence whether it's against opposition fans or their own, or towards players/refs. Apparently, some club presidents get carried away too.

It's not even just the stadium atmosphere these days - social media has become a competition to vent the most extreme opinion possible, which ratchets up the rhetoric yet further.

How many of our fans got on Potter's back because his press conferences were so dull? His language was always moderate and calm, generally putting the onus on the team/squad to keep on doing their thing, improving every game and to forget about the things outside of their control (refereeing decisions etc). That clip of him at Chelsea where he dropped the F-bomb to try and show some passion/fit in was just CRINGE because it was so far out of character, yet I suspect Potter would have been more popular with those that never took to him if he'd been a bit more like Arteta now and then.

I'm not really sure if this meandering post really makes sense and can probably just be summed up with:

The language used by and attitude towards refs shown by the likes of Arteta does fan the flames and risks the crossing of the line from 'part of football' to 'real life; police matter'.
Equally, us fans are responsible for driving that escalation with hostile, aggressive language and behaviour in stadia. Where do we draw the line, as none of us want a sterile atmosphere? As part of the 80-90% who can successfully detach the panto anger from reality, it's easy to dismiss it as all fine and part of the experience, but we should probably also consider the small minority who can't.

Maybe we should have a drum so we don't rely on injustice to get us going? :lolol:

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
Inevitable consequence of the lack of respect given to referees by the football establishment from Fifa to the FA to individual clubs and their management and the media.
As has been said many times on nsc, football must learn from rugby and and have a zero tolerance of abuse to match officials and this should start at school level (parents and players).
The fact that the football authorities refuse to take such obvious action suggests to me that they condone such actions behind the scenes or think it’s an acceptable ‘part of the game’
I agree with all of this but I also think as fans we need to think about our part in a this Of course we all dislike decisions we think are wrong that go against us but there is far too much immediate hatred generated against the officials then claims of corruption and or conspiracy theories. We've given up accepting mistakes can happen and that refs are people.

Time for all of us and authorities
managers etc. to reflect.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Crikey.

I am not a supporter of Arsenal or Liverpool, but I am quite relaxed by Clippety and Captain Black. What they blither on about in post match interviews is simply panto at worst, and 'sorry I wasn't listening' at best. 'Bile'? Gosh.

If you are contemplating the assault of another team's manager then it may be time to give your head a wobble, and make yourself a nice hot cup of tea and a lovely buttered scone* :shrug:

*pronounced to rhyme with 'gone'.
I was in agreement with your post until you completely over stepped the mark and devalued your whole argument by insisting on pronouncing Scone as rhyming with gone. Jeez, there really are some right ones around.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
100% this. I posted on the thread announcing the officials for the Brentford game (where the pile-on had started even before the match, ffs) that ref-baiting has become utterly toxic. Just in the past few weeks there have been pages and pages of posts about Dunk's red card, the Wissa thing, the Brentford penalty, the ball being kicked away / not kicked away prior to a free kick and countless other incidents. The inability to accept a ref's decision, the inability to accept that the ref may miss something or make an error, the constant referencing back to similar but different events in other matches that resulted in a different decision - it's all just completely corrosive.

99% of 'game-changing' mistakes are made by players and most supporters piling into the officials wouldn't last five minutes as a ref, even at non-league level. Refs are there simply to ensure a game of football can take place and they need our support. I wouldn't blame them if they just walked away and said, "f*** it - just get on with yourselves, then." I would.
But they don't walk away. After a two week suspension, or even a 'demotion' to the Championship, they're straight back on the pitch.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
[Koca] is quoted by news agencies in Turkey as saying he does not accept responsibility, adding: "This incident developed due to the wrong decisions and provocative behaviour of the referee. My aim was to react verbally to the referee and spit in his face."

What an absolute cowardly c*** this guy is. "The decisions on the pitch made my fist make contact with his face. I didn't mean to assualt him that way, I meant to assualt him by spitting in his face"

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Crikey.

If you are contemplating the assault of another team's manager then it may be time to give your head a wobble, and make yourself a nice hot cup of tea and a lovely buttered scone* :shrug:

*pronounced to rhyme with 'gone'.

7AE06BFE-9A41-44C2-BDCC-5BF0E331EB04.jpeg

Nothing about this screams panto villain, it's someone unhinged screaming into the refs face.

He didn't get a ban for this either.

I agree, most wouldn't dream of attacking a ref, but there is mentalists out there who believe it's all an agenda to get to their club as some great conspiracy, we've seen weirdos claim that on here.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
[Koca] is quoted by news agencies in Turkey as saying he does not accept responsibility, adding: "This incident developed due to the wrong decisions and provocative behaviour of the referee. My aim was to react verbally to the referee and spit in his face."

What an absolute cowardly c*** this guy is. "The decisions on the pitch made my fist make contact with his face. I didn't mean to assualt him that way, I meant to assualt him by spitting in his face"
1702398785542.png

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I full expect Mr Koca to be in charge of an English club quite soon, having passed all of the 'fit and proper' assessments.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Picture this. A minute after the final whistle in our draw against Boro leading to another season in the Championship…

If Bloom scampered on to the pitch, took a run and leap at Mike Dean and punched his arrogant lights out, it’s probable that I’d find it in my heart to forgive him.
Not quite the same. They're 15 games into a 38 game season. If we're using the 15/16 season as the marker, it's more like Bloom running on the pitch after Matej Vydra scored a late equaliser for Reading at the Madejski and lumping Neil Swarbrick. Inconceivably mad.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

He's now resigned, apologised and been arrested for injuring a public official.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here