Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trump

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
CNN are suggesting that as many of 20 republicans will vote for impeachment!

Anyone got a less biased view on this?

Apparently corporations are deserting him (or more precisely those that sided with him)

CDA2F414-F5A9-4DFF-AE0B-C8AF505BDD72.jpeg

That could be the game changer. Representatives will turn on Trump if their donors tell them to.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Really interesting.

Reminds me of when Thatcher lost her beans, that gorilla of masculinity Heseltine put the knife in but it cost him his chance of PM.

Plenty of Republican Senators could go for the 2024 ticket on the back of taking Trump down through impeachment but it’s a huge gamble.

Same with Brutus and Caesar - those who bring the tyrant down rarely get a share of the spoils.

Et tu, Brute?

CNN are going with a narrative that Mitch McConnell is orchestrating the whole thing. They are suggesting that he is blaming Trump for losing his majority in the senate.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Lauren Boebert, a Republican representative of Colorado who subscribes to the QAnon conspiracy, has reportedly held up the line after serving of newly installed metal detectors at Congress.

Boebert, who has expressed enthusiasm about carrying weapons to Capitol Hill, is reportedly refusing to comply with a bag search.

Representatives are currently partaking in a procedural vote on the resolution calling on Mike Pence to invoke the 25th Amendment.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...itol-joe-biden-coronavirus-covid-live-updates

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Looks like Trump Channel taken off Youtube for at least 7 days.

All this isn't ideal but we're at a dangerous moment. We need proper regulation of Big Tech by government.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Apparently corporations are deserting him (or more precisely those that sided with him)

View attachment 132412

That could be the game changer. Representatives will turn on Trump if their donors tell them to.
I think it's a temporary case of Trump, rather than the Republican Party being deserted, I don't think the big corporations are going to jump ship on a permenant basis.

They will see how Biden does but will keep a very close eye on who evolves as the focal point for the Republicans to coalesce around. Currently the Republican " Brand" is toxic but it won't last for ever, they will return to them when the time is right. Leopards/spots

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Really interesting.

Reminds me of when Thatcher lost her beans, that gorilla of masculinity Heseltine put the knife in but it cost him his chance of PM.

Plenty of Republican Senators could go for the 2024 ticket on the back of taking Trump down through impeachment but it’s a huge gamble.

Same with Brutus and Caesar - those who bring the tyrant down rarely get a share of the spoils.

Et tu, Brute?

One factor that may be prompting GOP senators to think of impeachment is that an impeached Trump can't stand for any political office. That would mean that he couldn't form a third party and stand against Republican politicians and splitting the vote.

A Trump party could mean Republicans out in the cold for the next decade

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Was on the phone to an aussie mate last night who is heavily into Betfair. They were telling me their new favourite thing is betting against stone crazy Trump fans. Specifically: 'When will Donald Trump officially cease to be the President of the United States of America?' Bizarrely, there's betting markets all the way up to 2025! :ohmy:

Screenshot_20210113-091515.png

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Which house is this? How come there are so many more republicans than democrats - and what are 'NVs'?

House of Representatives.
Republicans are Red and Dems blue. 434 total. All blue voted for amendment plus one red. 223. That errant red was joined with 5 Non Voters. 205 No’s. I’ve lost 1.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
One factor that may be prompting GOP senators to think of impeachment is that an impeached Trump can't stand for any political office. That would mean that he couldn't form a third party and stand against Republican politicians and splitting the vote.

A Trump party could mean Republicans out in the cold for the next decade
Even if it's not Trump himself then the prospect of another party for the lunatics is definitely likely.

They're not going to vote for "the establishment" so it'll either be an ultra right hatstand candidate (Cruz with David Icke and Alex Jones as special advisors?) or they just won't vote again.

Either way, the GOP is in serious bother without the mad vote. They rely on redneck halfwits who don't understand anything. It must be panic stations for many Republican politicians right now.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Even if it's not Trump himself then the prospect of another party for the lunatics is definitely likely.

Oh, that's true enough but Trump has a personal following that no-one else can match.

But you're right that the GOP has serious problems. The head-banging right wing are a clear minority but they have a lot of clout in the party; however, that's not going to win them Democrat, independent and traditional Republican votes so by embracing them, they're in for a long period in the wildnerness.

And that's before we take into account demographic changes - GOP voters are older and the non-white population is growing faster. If a Biden government enacts changes that makes it easier for non-whites to vote, they can seal power for a long, long time

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Oh, that's true enough but Trump has a personal following that no-one else can match.

But you're right that the GOP has serious problems. The head-banging right wing are a clear minority but they have a lot of clout in the party; however, that's not going to win them Democrat, independent and traditional Republican votes so by embracing them, they're in for a long period in the wildnerness.

And that's before we take into account demographic changes - GOP voters are older and the non-white population is growing faster. If a Biden government enacts changes that makes it easier for non-whites to vote, they can seal power for a long, long time
Yep, that's the way I see it. Nice to be able to be positive about something for a change.

The Dems are FAR from perfect but at least they'll stop trying to drag the country back to the Middle Ages (yes I know it didn't exist as the USA then) in the way that the GOP were/would.

You're probably right that without Trump, the crazies won't be interested in politics and will go back to plotting against the New World Order and stockpiling beans and ammo, while living in a shed.

Which is fine by me.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

They're not going to vote for "the establishment" so it'll either be an ultra right hatstand candidate (Cruz with David Icke and Alex Jones as special advisors?) or they just won't vote again.

Either way, the GOP is in serious bother without the mad vote. They rely on redneck halfwits who don't understand anything. It must be panic stations for many Republican politicians right now.

Yup - exactly as many of us thought 5 years ago. Getting into bed with Trump could genuinely spell many years in the wilderness for the Republicans.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Was on the phone to an aussie mate last night who is heavily into Betfair. They were telling me their new favourite thing is betting against stone crazy Trump fans. Specifically: 'When will Donald Trump officially cease to be the President of the United States of America?' Bizarrely, there's betting markets all the way up to 2025! :ohmy:

View attachment 132415

I don't really do betting, but if my understanding is correct to get circa 90-1 on 2025 (basically USA dictatorship) means a not insignificant sum has already been bet?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here