Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] TRIC AWARDS (Television and Radio Industries Club).

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
It's an opinion.

Do you always ask all people to back up each of their opinions?
I don't always, but if someone has an opinion, I often ask why they came to a specific conclusion. An informed opinion should always have a good two or three justifications behind it.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Often?

I don't see any such requests on the 'Best Song I've Heard Today' or the film/TV threads.
Personally, I don't go near those threads, so you wouldn't from me. But I'm typically talking about in real life.

One of the biggest lessons I've learned in 23 years as a journalist is that the most difficult question to answer is "Why?" Ask someone that about pretty much anything and lots will struggle to answer. And then, when they actually consider about why they think that, they'll backtrack on what they said. When it comes to opinions, they must be formed from something/someone, so naturally there will be a reason/reasons behind them.

Taking the OP's opinion: 'GB News has won the 2023 TRIC awards which is very well deserved. For those who want to watch well balanced delivery with content and discussion representing the wider population, this is the news channel to watch.'

Why is it 'well deserved'? Because it has increased viewing figures? Because the OP likes the presenters? Because it (apparently) offers people something different to the 'MSM'? I don't know – that's for the OP to answer. However, as I highlighted, I'm REALLY struggling with how the opinion can be formed that GB News is for people who 'want to watch well balanced delivery with content and discussion representing the wider population'. I've seen it and balanced it is not. Which is fine – I've said all along that it caters to a certain section of society, which is fine. But don't try and claim it's the best thing for everyone...

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I don't always, but if someone has an opinion, I often ask why they came to a specific conclusion. An informed opinion should always have a good two or three justifications behind it.
It's no good trying to explain to her/him. S/he is immune
It caters for three types; idiots, racists and racist idiots.
I am sorry to say that I think this is generally, if nor always the case......

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Opinion
noun
1. a view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Valid
adjective
1. (of an argument or point) having a sound basis in logic or fact; reasonable or cogent.
"a valid criticism"

It appears it is an opinion, but as there seems to be no fact or knowledge to justify it, it's certainly not a valid opinion as that would need some logical basis :dunce:

Maybe they're just trying to support @happypig's hypothesis :wink:

Awaits the ironic thumbsup

*edit* and Bingo :lolol:

Last edited:

Flagship

Jan 15, 2018
Brighton
It caters for three types; idiots, racists and racist idiots.
There are at least two black female presenters, Stephanie and Nana. There was another called Merci Meroki until recently, so hardly racist.

You use the racist card, presumably because the name of the channel includes GB. If it was UK or England I suspect you would call it racist too.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
There are at least two black female presenters, Stephanie and Nana. There was another called Merci Meroki until recently, so hardly racist.

You use the racist card, presumably because the name of the channel includes GB. If it was UK or England I suspect you would call it racist too.
You presume wrongly. i use the "racist card" because it has people like Farage, Rees-Mogg, Lee Anderson, Arlene foster, Esthey McVey, Laurence Fox, Neil Oliver and Andrew Pierce.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
GBNews isn’t a news channel, so we’ve been reassured by Of(whatever) because politicians aren’t allowed to work on news programmes, or else it’s propaganda.

They need to make their minds up, what they actually are.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Black people can be racist too.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
GBNews isn’t a news channel, so we’ve been reassured by Of(whatever) because politicians aren’t allowed to work on news programmes, or else it’s propaganda.

They need to make their minds up, what they actually are.
as soon as they do, the jig is up!

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Who said it wasn't an opinion? Can you keep up? Opinions tend to have some basis in evidence.... and I am keen to learn what evidence is available to back it up. Do you have any? Weak ironic Thumbs up please......
Opinion: noun
  1. 1.
    a view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.
    "that, in my opinion, is right"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here