Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tribute Bands

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I went to a Bros tribute band called Dross a few years back, and they were excellently precise in their fitting name. It was two lookalikes who couldn't sing with coke bottle tops blutacced to their slip-ons and an irrelevant geezer in the background i imagine was meant to be Craig Logan and in fact could have been.

I wonder why there are no hip-hop tribute acts that i know of. Is it a genre in which only the original person talking over the top of beats can say it coolly and an impersonator lacks that key ingredient of coolness to believe they might make it worth their while? Or is it that Mr Whitey's 70s rock troops need emulation to allow the truly middleaged to reminisce and hip-hop is always something largely for the young?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The Austalian Doors Show, I have a version of Stairway To Heaven by them on 7". It does sound exactly like it would have sounded if it was a Doors track.

That intrigued me so I went looking for it, as you say, it could be a Doors original

[yt]RHCKtPafA0A[/yt]

scooter1

How soon is now?
The Aussie Pink Floyd Show and the Brit Floyd Show are only linked in as much as when the Aussie guys left thier Management, the guy whos runs the company, seeing his golden goose flee the nest cobbled together another show and sent it out on the road. I know this because in my business I have dealings with both outfits

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I've never been a massive tribute band fan, but mainly because I hadn't seen a good one. THe BEatles lot that played at te Goodwood revival drivers ball in 2007 where excellent, I actually walked up to stage side to check they where really playing. I have seen some pretty shocking ones though, of all genres.

I fail to see the point if its a current band, but for many they original artistes are dead, or should have long since retired as they can't cut it, worse still they've turned into a COmedy Butlins Parody of their former self . . . too much of that about. THe Stones may be ancient, but at least they still rock.

YOur never going to see the original Motown revue, most of the singers are gone or lost it and the Funk brothers are half dust, so I don't feel too bad trying to emulate them and people seem to enjoy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=houjNuNL784&feature=related

316657_10150476047158066_747513065_11184203_2139264212_n.jpg

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Interpol are leaps and bounds better than Editors, in that, they have two very good albums to their name and Editors have one. Coldplay do not deserved to be mentioned in the same breath as Radiohead.

You understand my point though. They're the more accessible, mainstream, pop version.

Editors have one solid album. Interpol have a few good albums, but their first album is one of the best albums of the last 30 years. And they've got an amazing presence live.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
THats the key isn't it, just go along and enjoy it for what it is . . . to be honest, when I saw most of the early 90's bands when they where youngsters as well, they wheren't all that, some of the tribute acts have far better musicians in them!

I don't recall going to see Blur at the pink coconut or supergrass at the Zap with a note pad and musical reference book, it was more have a laugh and a few refreshers with likeminded mates/band members

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Just back from Martlets Hall, Burgess Hill where I saw the excellent LOS ENDOS - A Genesis Tribute Band

Now I know the single greatest band in the world ever are not everybody's cup of tea and some of you cool youngsters will think a tribute band playing that sublime music is about as bad as it gets (but you're wrong) You won't be watching a **insert modern combo band name here** tribute band in forty years time I know.

The music was 95% brilliant. One or two slips here and there, but as you're not listening to a record or the real thing and you've only paid fifteen quid so that makes this a total bloomin bargain.

What a shame the condemned Hall was less than half full. I find it impossible to believe there was anything better going on up The Hill tonight.

Glad I went and will look out for them returning.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here