Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tribute Bands

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
Love to go again but at £33 a ticket, it's a bit steep for a (admitidly shit hot) tribute band

Ar'nt Brit Floyd also playing the Centre soon. Apparently connected to The Australian Pink Floyd either by the founder or a musician or two.Supposed to be another amazing show.
I do love the fact when you go and see tribute bands of this stature , there are people wearing tour Tshirts of the tribute band's previous tour.
Hardly a t shirt for the original band in sight.

life on mars 73

Oct 19, 2010
I saw The Small Fakers last year in Worthing - great show, thoroughly enjoyed it. Can also recommend T Rextasy and Ultimate Bowie - for anyone that remembers the excitement and spectacle of the Ziggy era, this show is just great !

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
But Interpol are an Editors tribute band, surely?
Nooooo.... Interpol were around before Editors!

Interpol are a Joy Division tribute band. Editors are an Interpol tribute band. And White Lies are an Editors tribute band.

Got it?!

Most people watching Doors, Beatles, and even Pink Floyd tribute bands have never seen the originals and can only imagine what they *might* have been like.

The op couldn't go to an orchestral performance EVER, because Chopin won't be conducting or playing.

Some bands are accused of being parodies of themselves! Dylan is a tribute artist for Dylan now, apparently.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
saw a sex pistols tribute band for free in portsmouth about 10 years ago, they were from sussex, called themselves the sus sex pistols. they were quite good.

the only tribute band ive paid to see were greenish day at the concorde...fuckin brilliant they were, although they didnt play for FOUR hours non stop like the proper green day punk:

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
I'd like to see a tribute band with a tribute Keith Moon on drums , a tribute Jimi Hendrix on guitar , a tribute Cliff Burton on bass and a tribute Bon Scott on vocals ....... Could start a whole new tribute ultimate band craze.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I saw The Buttles in Brum once & they were absolutely shithouse. Thoroughly enjoyed 'em tbh.

ps Anybody seen Banjovi? Apparently they do/did Bon Jovi songs but on - yes you've guessed it - Banjos. Marvelous.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Keep It Cash are at the Komedia tomorrow, a Johnny Cash tribute and very good. The singer may not look the part but he has the voice.

Always a good gig with a wide age range of audience. Shout out your fav Cash song and they'll sing it.

Bit gutted I can't go.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I've seen ReOrder, the New Order tribute band, a few times. They are actually better than the real New Order.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I've been to see three tribute bands:

Australian Pink Floyd - these guys were absolutely incredible.
British Pink Floyd - good, but don't think they're still around?
Think Floyd - Brilliant show, the woman (I think called Helena May?) who did Great Gig in the Sky was breathtaking.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Favourite tribute band names = Not Chocolate. Stairs (Steps tribute) & Earth Wind For Hire...... Genius!

All mighty chuckle-some & dandy, Woody - but I'll raise you with a bunch of Merseyside clones who go by the name of CROWDED SCOUSE. :lol:

Feb 12, 2012
You are right, although as always there are exceptions. I saw the Snakemen play the Ruts a couple of times, which was clearly a labour of love, as much as a tribute, plus cover bands and pubs can also be a winning combo. The Duke Of Wellington in Shoreham has a Sex Pistols tribute band this Saturday and I will probably pop along for a pogo.

I know the Snakemen. It is not a labour of love but it is labour. £! I personally would like to see originality even if it is crap. In the same manner I am not keen on 'poets' reading or copying other poets work, nor am I able to get excited about artists who can 'forge' other artists work. (The chinese are pretty good at this and you can buy very cheaply...) But hey.. if you like it... you like it.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
Why I oughtta...Editors are to Interpol what Coldplay are to Radiohead. The watered-down, Diet Coke version.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Interpol are leaps and bounds better than Editors, in that, they have two very good albums to their name and Editors have one. Coldplay do not deserved to be mentioned in the same breath as Radiohead.

I hate tribute bands. They're creatively bankrupt parasites, leeching off the talent and success of others.
People who pay good money to see one of the plethora of Abba / Pink Floyd / Mettalica acts peddle their wares are the most musically conservative dullards around. They deserve to have their ears confiscated.

I'm right, aren't I?

No you are not right, you're very wrong.

Music snobbery of the highest order, thus making you the dullard!

Live music should just be enjoyed, does it matter who plays it, as long as it is enjoyed! The example being classical music, now the composers are dead should that mean that the song/composition is resigned to history forever never to be performed live again? So 100 years from now the current popular compositions will NEVER be performed???

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
I hate tribute bands. They're creatively bankrupt parasites, leeching off the talent and success of others.
People who pay good money to see one of the plethora of Abba / Pink Floyd / Mettalica acts peddle their wares are the most musically conservative dullards around. They deserve to have their ears confiscated.

I'm right, aren't I?

No, you're very wrong. A good tribute band can be very entertaining, and entertainment's what I pay for when I go to a gig. I've seen some great ones.

Bjorn Again - Abba tribute, played at Reading on the main stage the year Nirvana headlined (them being on the bill was one of Cobain's conditions for Nirvana playing). They went down a storm. Even the mud throwing stopped when they were on stage.

The Sussex Pistols - Saw these a few years ago, I know some on here know them. They do a very good impression of the Pistols in the early years of their career, even to the extent of their Rotten winding up people in the crowd. Awesome.

SRV - A Stevie Ray Vaughan tribute who were active in Brighton in the 90s. They were awesome.

No Way Sis - The only Oasis cover band that the Gallagher's approved of, their Noel impersonator's guitar was given to him by the real Noel. They even had their own hit, NME and a number of other mags accused "Shakermaker" of sounding like "I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing" so No Way Sis released a cover of that in the style of Oasis. It sounded like Shakermaker...

The Austalian Doors Show, I have a version of Stairway To Heaven by them on 7". It does sound exactly like it would have sounded if it was a Doors track.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here