Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tribute Bands

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The Official Tribute to the Blues Brothers is always a great show, which is often creative (line dancing delivery man!)

Flex Your Head

It does cost money to be a touring band. They have to charge a fee to recoup their expenses; things like venue hire, PA, travel, equipment etc etc.

I'm liking that mix-tape in your signature, perfect for the last few hours at work!
Oh I know that; I've helped put on plenty of gigs in the past, and even with 4 band line-ups including bands from the States and Scandinavia, we've never needed to charge anything like £20.

Glad you like the mix-tape - I'll be sticking another one up soon. (And I wish I could listen to music at work, lucky bugger!)

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I hate tribute bands. They're creatively bankrupt parasites, leeching off the talent and success of others.
People who pay good money to see one of the plethora of Abba / Pink Floyd / Mettalica acts peddle their wares are the most musically conservative dullards around. They deserve to have their ears confiscated.

I'm right, aren't I?

You are right, although as always there are exceptions. I saw the Snakemen play the Ruts a couple of times, which was clearly a labour of love, as much as a tribute, plus cover bands and pubs can also be a winning combo. The Duke Of Wellington in Shoreham has a Sex Pistols tribute band this Saturday and I will probably pop along for a pogo.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Oh I know that; I've helped put on plenty of gigs in the past, and even with 4 band line-ups including bands from the States and Scandinavia, we've never needed to charge anything like £20.

Glad you like the mix-tape - I'll be sticking another one up soon. (And I wish I could listen to music at work, lucky bugger!)

There probably is a bit of profit thrown in there so after expenses are paid off the musicians get a bit of cash in their pocket too.

Some bands though do charge exorbitant amounts of money though. I went to see Oasis during their last tour and it cost me £40. Well, £80 actually as I paid for my dad to go. They're my favourite band but paying that sort of money for a band with as healthy a bank balance as they have was a bit of a kick in the wallet.

Our company is quite good with stuff like that. I think the MD recognised a long time ago that staff need a bit of freedom. We're allowed to listen to music (within reason of course, if we're taking the piss he'll put a stop to it) and we have things like Wimbledon on. We had the cricket on the other day.

No, not at all. But I'm pretty certain I wouldn't buy anything from an 'artist' who decided to try and replicate, say, Dali's paintings.

Aha.

Dali original = £17,000,000
Dali copy that is a better replica but painted by another artist = £160

Or never get anywhere near a Dali painting, ever in your life on this earth.

You will choose the latter - but there are many who would like to enjoy their favourite art made reality rather than never ever.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
I am off to see The Musical Box (gabriel era genesis tribute) at the Hammersmith Odean next march and it is virtually SOLD OUT.

BTW, Peter Gabriel last played with genesis, as a band member, in 1975 . I was 11. I am now 47

Genesis has supported The Musical Box in many ways. In 2002 their former guitarist Steve Hackett joined the band in London, England at the Royal Albert Hall, playing on a special encore of "Firth of Fifth".

Drummer Phil Collins watched the Lamb show in Geneva in 2005, and joined the band onstage to play drums during the encore of "The Musical Box". He watched the entire show and told reporters afterwards that "they played it better than we did."

Peter Gabriel, meanwhile, has taken his children to a show so "they could see what their father used to do."

Last edited:

Flex Your Head

Aha.

Dali original = £17,000,000
Dali copy that is a better replica but painted by another artist = £160

Or never get anywhere near a Dali painting, ever in your life on this earth.

You will choose the latter - but there are many who would like to enjoy their favourite art made reality rather than never ever.

I think you've misunderstood. I would buy a silkscreen or lithograph of the Dali original. In the same way that, as I'm not in the studio when The Sock Puppets record their songs, I have to buy the CD reproduction of the recording.

I would never pay to buy someone's attempt at a Dali painting, and if that's all they did THROUGHOUT their career - replicate Dali's paintings - I'd find it rather tawdry and sad.

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
Went to see Back for good a Take That tribute band early last year with a load of mates - it was ok - we were all very drunk and it was a laugh. Two weeks later I saw the real deal though at Wembley - I wouldn't go to see a tribute band again I don't think - although I have a mate who is an Elvis impersonator - he is brilliant and goes under the name Suspiciously Elvis - he is really good.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Can I just throw into the mix The Jamm? Had a cracking night at The Half Moon, Putney a few years ago, the lead singer even looks like Weller.

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
We have been to Strummerville for the last 4 years or so at the Komedia and loved the Pistols and Clash tribute bands although the best were a Ramones band called Havanna a Go Go, sadly defunct now!

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
The Duke Of Wellington in Shoreham has a Sex Pistols tribute band this Saturday and I will probably pop along for a pogo.

You are going to be very disappointed, its a band called the Sex Pirates They are not a Sex pistols tribute band but a fiddle-sawing, banjo-bashing, squeeze-boxing, bass-slapping, tub-thumping band.
More barn dance than punk.

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
Livewire AC/DC are superb, they have a Bon Scott and a Brian Johnson, they play for over two hours, a terrific night out.

Totally agree , saw them at the Komedia a couple of years ago . They even have the cannons at the end , and they fire !!!

Also really rate Iron On Maiden . Saw them a couple of days after I saw the real version at Sonisphere. Could'nt tell 'em apart except for the size of the venue. They even have Dennis Stratton playing for them . He was in Iron Maiden in the seventies and is on the first album.punk:

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
This. Saw them in Brighton a few years ago and they were superb. Didn't Gilmour like them so much he had them play at his wedding ?

Australian Pink Floyd show at the Brighton Centre on March 20.

See you there:D

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
The Australian Doors were one of the best gigs I ever went to. Sadly they gave up about 20 years ago. They were not really lookalikeees but the sound was perfect (given that I had never seen the real Doors).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here