Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trains tonite

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I heard there were train shortages hence the delays East bound. I partly blame the ref for starting the first half three minutes late and then second half even later. I bet those on the West bound platform enjoyed the empty 8 car speeding through the platform and ten past ten, I think that was the Eastbourne which should have been going the other way at that time and had to go into Brighton to turn round.

I was waiting eastbound, but that was disgraceful! As is often the case, decisions on the railway are made for operational and supply side reasons rather than for passengers. If there was proper communication with those in charge at the station, a dangerous situation could have been avoided and hundreds of people got home more quickly and safely.

Eastbound, there was no passenger information about the delays, including no on-board visual or tannoy announcements about needing to be in the front 6 coaches to get off at Lewes, which meant some not in-the-know were panicking and creating a further unsafe situation.

Shame on Southern

PG

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I was waiting eastbound, but that was disgraceful! As is often the case, decisions on the railway are made for operational and supply side reasons rather than for passengers. If there was proper communication with those in charge at the station, a dangerous situation could have been avoided and hundreds of people got home more quickly and safely.

Eastbound, there was no passenger information about the delays, including no on-board visual or tannoy announcements about needing to be in the front 6 coaches to get off at Lewes, which meant some not in-the-know were panicking and creating a further unsafe situation.

Shame on Southern

PG

The 'safety officers' were clueless on Eastbound about what was going on, the electronic boards were off and the announcements over the tannoy thing were barely audible even if you were stood under the speaker (they were announcing the delays, front 6 for Lewes etc etc but I doubt hardly anyone could hear it properly)

Grapes of Wrath

Nov 1, 2009
Worthing
Left just after the final whistle, suffered the queue for the train and eventually walked through the door in Worthing at 11.45pm. Usually for an evening game I either leave 5 minutes early or frankly don't bother going as I find the travel side of things tends to ruin a good night.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I partly blame the ref for starting the first half three minutes late and then second half even later.

In the first half everyone had to stand around for a couple of minutes to allow the piped 'ring of fire' to drone on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I've email them again today after last night fiasco, the more people let them know whats going on then perhaps more pressure will be put on the train companies.

What pressure can be put on Southern? The company doesn't care whether their trains are packed or empty - they get a wedge from the club every season. They know they have a captive audience and know they can treat the fans as badly as they like. Pressure implies you can threaten loss of business or some other consequence, in this case, there's no threat whatsoever

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Wembley has 4 lines out & just one of them has back to back 8 carriage trains waiting on the Stadium platform and directly behind to go non stop to Marylebone when full.
This continuing trying to pander to existing 3 carriage trains & standard timetables is a disgrace

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
What pressure can be put on Southern? The company doesn't care whether their trains are packed or empty - they get a wedge from the club every season. They know they have a captive audience and know they can treat the fans as badly as they like. Pressure implies you can threaten loss of business or some other consequence, in this case, there's no threat whatsoever

Exactly, Southern has their captive audience to cater for Mon-Fri hence football specials not being the top priority

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

Shame on Southern

PG

I heard about the reason for the delay only because one of the transport police and a member of rail staff were talking as I walked past them when I walked through the gate onto the platform.

The BHAFC App was very useful last night as it gave up to date train info so we could see that the Eastbourne train was getting later and later and was then "overtaken" by the Seaford

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
In the first half everyone had to stand around for a couple of minutes to allow the piped 'ring of fire' to drone on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on.

And it did so because the ref couldn't decide when to start the game, I could see him signalling to the linesmen and then looking at his watch for ages before he blew the whistle and it was the same in the second half, it was as if he was an American ref waiting to be told the adverts had finished in his ear piece

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Let's put it this way, Bristol City was not enough of a draw for me even though we were top etc etc. Evening games are a major headache and the club is losing out on revenue all the while this continues (personally I didn't spend about £50 last night on ticket and stuff). Yeah bad fan, so what? I will be back at The Amex on Saturday looking for another 3 points and then at Reading for what will hopefully be a great day out. Night game at Falmer, struggle to race to game from work, eat our 'prize winning' pie (cough), get dicked about for the train home, get home late and up early next day for work. Now I will only do this once or twice a season, and Bristol City was not one of those.

Shame, you missed the game of the season so far, not been so exciting since Buckley's second.

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
I heard there were train shortages hence the delays East bound. I partly blame the ref for starting the first half three minutes late and then second half even later. I bet those on the West bound platform enjoyed the empty 8 car speeding through the platform and ten past ten, I think that was the Eastbourne which should have been going the other way at that time and had to go into Brighton to turn round.

Why was the kick off 3 mins late?. I noticed on the full 90 minute video, the ref appeared to be waiting for the ring of fire to stop playing!.
Maybe it would be best to start that sooner, instead of sussex by the sea!. Which i'm sorry to say sounds horrible, like a gramophone from the war!.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

True being southern and UTTER **** BAGS you are quite right.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
True being southern and UTTER **** BAGS you are quite right.

I commuted for about eight years. What I found was that Southern had contempt for their paying customers so they're scarcely likely to be bothered by a bunch of non-paying ones.

The only thing that would change attitudes is if the club stopped the transport levy so that Southern would be forced to maximise revenue. But even that might not change attitudes so I guess the situation will continue

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I commuted for about eight years. What I found was that Southern had contempt for their paying customers so they're scarcely likely to be bothered by a bunch of non-paying ones.

The only thing that would change attitudes is if the club stopped the transport levy so that Southern would be forced to maximise revenue. But even that might not change attitudes so I guess the situation will continue

I wonder if and its a big if (and I hope it NEVER happens) but if there was a fatality due to their incompetence I do think the judge would view Southern as 100% liable. They may actually want to review things under their duty of care - which they DO have,

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I wonder if and its a big if (and I hope it NEVER happens) but if there was a fatality due to their incompetence I do think the judge would view Southern as 100% liable. They may actually want to review things under their duty of care - which they DO have,

More likely they will stop running trains all together if things got that bad to match days , same as when they don't bother for other events locally

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Well FWIW Paul Barber thanked me for my complaint to Southern. Seems he isn't impressed either.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Does he think they're ****tards too? If so he's gone WAY up in my estimation

Being in the position he is in, he didnt say it even if he probably thinks it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here