Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Train farce

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
i usually really really like your posts but f*** me you are a moron.

You can't run emu's (electric trains) between ore and hastings - because its not electrified. How can an emu get power without the third rail or overhead cantary?

And you can't just add another six carriages because they have different coupling systems (afaik).

It's not possible to do either of the things bpbill said unless the trains are right and network rail electirfy the ore-ashford stint of the marshlink line.

well f***ing electrify it then!

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I think there are thousands of worse situations you can be in than a bundle for a train myself - of course im not saying its a good thing and its clearly caused by a load of impatient fcuks. Hopefully it wont happen again next week.

You keep missing the point.

If you are getting bundled about with young kids near a railway line with a train trundling in, it is a very scary situation and is a shitehouse example of human nature where everyone is out for themselves. If I was on my own (at 6ft 3 and 16 stone) I personally don't have an issue but thats not to say I would be getting on that train and fcuk everyone else so I could catch the end of the news.

People just need to think a bit more and be less impatient. Its 10 minutes or so at the end of the day.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
well f***ing electrify it then!

Want to fund the millions of pounds it will cost to pay for it and on top of that the cost of the extra electric trains to run on the line ? And then theres all the replacement transport you would need to pay for whilst the work is happening. Its very expensive to do - will happen eventually though.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Hi guys, i'm a local Watford fan. I was going to get the train to the AMEX but reading this has cast some doubt in my mind. Do the 25/28/29 buses run as normal from Brighton on a tuesday and are they rammed?

Would like to get a few pints of ale in around the station, so would be a shame to have to bus it.

Any help appreciated, cheers!

Trains should be fine, just give some time at both ends Brighton - Falmer to wait for the train, after the game you can drink in the North Stand home end, if you can afford the time to wait and have another pint q is normally smaller, although have not hung around on a night game myself. Shame you did not get us on a Saturday.

Should be an open game.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I walked down to the station at 10.30pm last night and both platforms were practically clear. That's just 50 mins after the game had finished. Maybe if some of the more local fans waited for 20 mins or so it would ease getting away at night?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Want to fund the millions of pounds it will cost to pay for it and on top of that the cost of the extra electric trains to run on the line ? And then theres all the replacement transport you would need to pay for whilst the work is happening. Its very expensive to do - will happen eventually though.

As has been pointed out other nations seem to get on with running and maintaining a modern rail service. We finally got high speed track 15 years after the French. Cross Rail took over 20 years to get started. We seem to be the only western country without double decker trains. We seem to be the only EU country to ban bicycles. Prices are high, ticketing confusing and staff ill trained and with little pride or care in their work. Whatever it is that other nations do why can't we do it? And shoulder shrugging resigned attitudes like yours don't help. Demand more, or equality with our foreign friends at least.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
I walked down to the station at 10.30pm last night and both platforms were practically clear. That's just 50 mins after the game had finished. Maybe if some of the more local fans waited for 20 mins or so it would ease getting away at night?

Me too, it might of even been a bit earlier. Very small queue not even enough to fill the train

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Hi guys, i'm a local Watford fan. I was going to get the train to the AMEX but reading this has cast some doubt in my mind. Do the 25/28/29 buses run as normal from Brighton on a tuesday and are they rammed?

Would like to get a few pints of ale in around the station, so would be a shame to have to bus it.

Any help appreciated, cheers!

never rammed a bus b4..hmm

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm sure Southern could do quite a bit more to help but with no financial incentive I very much doubt they will.

Ten pages of ranting but this is the most sensible and accurate post of all. If Southern wanted to, they could run three-carriage trains all night and cut the number of services running. We pay them in advance so Southern make money regardless - they'll want to run a service as cheaply as possible and if that means cutting back on trains, carriages and staff, that's what they'll do.

And next season if we have more seats, they'll be in an even stronger position. More people will want to use it and with the options of parking in Coldean and Moulsecoomb gone, there'll be even more of a captive audience. Southern know that people will have to lump it so what incentive is there to improve the service?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Ten pages of ranting but this is the most sensible and accurate post of all. If Southern wanted to, they could run three-carriage trains all night and cut the number of services running. We pay them in advance so Southern make money regardless - they'll want to run a service as cheaply as possible and if that means cutting back on trains, carriages and staff, that's what they'll do.

And next season if we have more seats, they'll be in an even stronger position. More people will want to use it and with the options of parking in Coldean and Moulsecoomb gone, there'll be even more of a captive audience. Southern know that people will have to lump it so what incentive is there to improve the service?

Maybe Tony Bloom could charter the line between Brighton and Lewes for a few hours on matchdays and run eight carriage trains up and down the line. Not himself personally, mind. Well, not unless he happens to have a valid train driver's licence. :dunce:

It could be YEARS before the Ashford - Ore line is electrified, if ever, given that Southern have invested in new diesel rolling stock quite recently.

Southern put on a special service direct to London after the Millwall game (from the Lewes bound platform, so must have gone into to Lewes, and then back up the line straight to London) - i realise this was a police measure to help deal with Millwall's lovely friendly fans - but could they not do this on other midweek matches, to help people heading north? I think it left at about 10.15. The police organised a seperate queue for this train, behind the station building at Falmer. This would help wouldn't it, so if you're heading back up to London you could wait and queue for this train, rather than have to struggle into Brighton or Lewes and change?
There weren't many Millwall fans on that train - and it delayed lots of fans who wanted to go home to Lewes / Eastbourne / Seaford.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
As has been pointed out other nations seem to get on with running and maintaining a modern rail service. We finally got high speed track 15 years after the French. Cross Rail took over 20 years to get started. We seem to be the only western country without double decker trains. We seem to be the only EU country to ban bicycles. Prices are high, ticketing confusing and staff ill trained and with little pride or care in their work. Whatever it is that other nations do why can't we do it? And shoulder shrugging resigned attitudes like yours don't help. Demand more, or equality with our foreign friends at least.

And we never will have double decker trains as the current railway will have to be totally upgraded including every single bridge, tunnel and a lot of stations. Of course this is the governments problem. HS2 might even be under construction already if there wasnt so many people against it. With banning bikes, its only if the train is full or at peak times, as as many people need to get on them as possible.

And its all well and good demanding things - id love a massively improved and more frequent and reliable railway, but it requires money to do.

It could be YEARS before the Ashford - Ore line is electrified, if ever, given that Southern have invested in new diesel rolling stock quite recently.

Would be the Department for Transport that pull the strings with the "new" trains and considering there are trains from the 80s still running around up north as the lines arent electrified, it could be a while. Though an easy way to sort that problem is electrify Ore - Ashford, have electric trains running on the line (some could may be found to cover the line until new trains are built) and send the Southern diesel trains up north to replace the old ones. But of course, thats too sensible.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Isn't the main issue with our lines is there so out dated, I think I might be wrong we are one of the best connected country's in the world but the cost of updating every line would probably bankrupt the country, my only issue with the ashford line is I think they should add an extra service sometimes that train is so packed it's a joke.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And we never will have double decker trains as the current railway will have to be totally upgraded including every single bridge, tunnel and a lot of stations.

I know, but how come every other European nation has found the money and the will to enable this seemingly impossible task?

It's a wonder that railways got built in the first place given some of the reasons people give for not upgrading them in a timely manner. You mention upgrading tunnels? Do you not think that the original engineers who laid the track had a slightly more tricky conundrum when they were confronted with a solid lump of earth in their way? They didnt shrug their shoulders and give up, they dug.

And now is a great time for some capital investment.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Double decker trains could, perversely, lead to less capacity not more. They require a longer dwell time at stations to allow more people on and off. On a high frequency route that could lead to fewer trains being able to run.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here