Train farce

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I thought the reason London got rid of the bendy bus was fire risk

Only about a dozen have caught fire since their introduction. Some buses are in service for 16-18 hours a day clocking up the miles. Buses undergo stringent safety checks every 3 weeks to keep them roadworthy. Boris took an instant dislike to the bendys as it was a wise political move to keep Londoners happy. The replacement vehicle for the bendys is a "Borismaster" but only 8 have been built so far and initially cost £1.5M a pop.

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
seagullsovergrimsby;4849 498 said:
Only about a dozen have caught fire since their introduction. Some buses are in service for 16-18 hours a day clocking up the miles. Buses undergo stringent safety checks every 3 weeks to keep them roadworthy. Boris took an instant dislike to the bendys as it was a wise political move to keep Londoners happy. The replacement vehicle for the bendys is a "Borismaster" but only 8 have been built so far and initially cost £1.5M a pop.

Piece of classic TV regarding The Boris Buses where Paxman wipes the floor with him.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
14 actually. :)

Network Rail is to centralise all its signalling into just 14 regionalsignalling centres by 2030, with work beginning in Control Period 5 (2014-19). There are currently 800
signal boxes and centres. The cost of consolidation will be £1.1bn, but £250m will be saved each year once it has been completed.

The plan will form the backbone of Network Rail’s proposals for CP5, with more than 80 per cent of the network moved to the new centres by 2029. The majority of the work would be done in CP5 and CP6 under the proposals, which would need to be approved by the Office of Rail Regulation. A spokesman for Network Rail said: ‘Much of our existing equipment is old and inconsistent, it needs to be replaced. With better signalling and control technology we can reduce costs, reduce delays, deliver extra capacity and improve passenger information, helping to creating the 21st century railway Britain deserves.’

Countering anticipated protests from traditionalists, he added: ‘This kind of activity has been going on for generations – it’s part of the ongoing evolution of the railway.’
In 1900 there were around 10,000 signal boxes, which dropped to just over 5,000 following the Beeching cuts. British Rail closed around 100 boxes a year. Network Rail would be closing around 50 a year under the new plans. The new signalling centres will see performance improve, Network Rail says, with far fewer reactionary delays, which account for 50 per cent of all disruption. Punctuality should improve by two per cent. But signalling centralisation will mean large numbers of redundancies for signallers, according to figures from the RMT union, which is in talks with Network Rail about the plans. Today’s 6,000 signallers will be reduced to just 2,000 over the next 30 years, the union has warned.

RMT general secretary Bob Crow said that discussions were at an early stage, adding: ‘RMT wants to make it absolutely clear that we will not agree to anything that compromises the job security, safety or standards of living of our members. We are not opposed to new technology but we are clear that any changes that may arise should be accommodated through a shorter working week, additional annual leave and the right to retire at 55 on full pension entitlement.’

Existing signalling centres that will form part of the final 14 are: Derby, Gillingham, Cardiff, Saltley, Edinburgh and Ashford. Didcot and Glasgow will be retained, but
upgraded. New centres will be built in Romford, Three Bridges, York, Manchester Rugby and Basingstoke.

If they're quoting £1.1bn you can expect that figure to at least double, if not treble by the end of it. I've never known a re-signalling project to end anywhere near within budget so I can't see a nationwide project like this bucking the trend.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Yeah, not sure he'll get much public sympathy if he starts agitating for industrial action.

Knowing what Network Rail are like this is one time the RMT are going to need to be strong, Not just in securing the best deal they can for the signalmen that will be losing they're jobs but also making sure the conditions are right for those that remain. I appreciate Bob Crow, the RMT and unions in general are not that popular these days but it will be an important time, with some important issues to be sorted out to make sure train travel remains safe.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
I was stood on the opposite platform for the 1st time from 9.40 & the 9.45 was listed & then
An electronic message at around 9.45 was displayed stating 'the next train does not stop' & the 8 carriage one sailed thru empty. The driver cannot activate this message can he ?? So unless he can putting it down to solely a driver oversight cannot be right as others were involved
Separately on getting to Lewes and seeing the next 8 (eight) trains to depart ALL heading to Brighton & the 9th in 45 mins @ 10.40 the next north to HH & London beggared belief as I'm sure that those who found out this previously

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Knowing what Network Rail are like this is one time the RMT are going to need to be strong, Not just in securing the best deal they can for the signalmen that will be losing they're jobs but also making sure the conditions are right for those that remain. I appreciate Bob Crow, the RMT and unions in general are not that popular these days but it will be an important time, with some important issues to be sorted out to make sure train travel remains safe.

I'm with you.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004

Even though they may be right to "stay strong" on this issue, unfortunately their utterly pathetic and disgraceful behaviour thus far will mean littl to no sympathy from the general public. They've made a rod for their own backs.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate

Regarding the cost, there was no mention of it on the Network Rail site, so I am not sure where they got the figure from. To a layman it does seem a little on the low side for what is clearly a huge project.

The Network Rail site also mentions that it is a 30 year project, not one due to be completed in 2030 so I think this may be an error in the article I found. I'd imagine in that period most signallers will reach retirement age anyway so I think that most job cuts will be able to be achieved through natural wastage and voluntary redundancy. So to me it's more an issue of working conditions for those that remain and/or those required to move to the new centres.

I appreciate Bob Crow's job is to protect his members' interests and achieve the best possible outcome for them, and that projects such as this are bound to make people feel threatened, but I think he'd be ill advised to carry on making comments that might be perceived by the public at large to be out of touch and unreasonable.

Hopefully agreement can be reached behind the scenes with a satisfactory outcome for everyone.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I hope to raise this whole issue "with the Minister" in the next few days.

It's obvious (and I have pointed this out already) that the starting signal at Lewes platform 3 must be moved back to the head of the platform to allow longer trains to draw up and release passengers in that platform. It might be eventually that the bay platform which was filled in there years ago could be partly brought back into service. That would also give more operational flexibility.

The problem was that for the AMEX as built, although operational changes were brought in to transport supporters in and out by rail, very little was spent if anything on signalling and other infrastructure. If AMEX is to go up to 30k capacity, that would IMHO be required and obviously Network Rail would ask the stadium owners to fund it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
no, but got to hold onto lots of gold

So what you're saying is the Swiss build lots of new shiney railways with their Nazi gold?

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
B&H Buses have 18 bendibuses in their fleet. They are used on the 25's and for P&R work. Could come in handy on matchdays if they use some of them on a shuttle service between the Old Steine and Falmer. If the trains are shorter than usual for midweek evening games why don't they supplement the service with buses to get fans back to Brighton station for their connections to London etc ?

Good thinking. Since suporters have presumably got a travel "Package" there would be no ned for fares collection, something that proved a problem in London I think.

If Albion funded some more "bendies" they could even paint them in "house" colours...

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I hope to raise this whole issue "with the Minister" in the next few days.

It's obvious (and I have pointed this out already) that the starting signal at Lewes platform 3 must be moved back to the head of the platform to allow longer trains to draw up and release passengers in that platform. It might be eventually that the bay platform which was filled in there years ago could be partly brought back into service. That would also give more operational flexibility.

The problem was that for the AMEX as built, although operational changes were brought in to transport supporters in and out by rail, very little was spent if anything on signalling and other infrastructure. If AMEX is to go up to 30k capacity, that would IMHO be required and obviously Network Rail would ask the stadium owners to fund it.

Do you not think Tony Bloom has already got enough financial commitment funding the stadium and training academy without being asked to fork out more to re-model the railway as well? The signal in platform 3 at Lewes is where it is for a reason and apart from the amount of time, work and money there would be involved in moving it there would never be a business case for it anyway. Maybe a cheaper option would be to put some signs out at Falmer telling people for Lewes to get in the front 4 carriages?

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Do you not think Tony Bloom has already got enough financial commitment funding the stadium and training academy without being asked to fork out more to re-model the railway as well? The signal in platform 3 at Lewes is where it is for a reason and apart from the amount of time, work and money there would be involved in moving it there would never be a business case for it anyway. Maybe a cheaper option would be to put some signs out at Falmer telling people for Lewes to get in the front 4 carriages?

Ooh I really feel sorry for Mr Bloom. No I really feel sorry for the poor station staff at Polegate who had to deal on Tuesday with a load of abusive fans late at night, as well as for the fans. If the signal was where it SHOULD be located at Lewes, at the top of the platform, not halfway down it. then probably an 8-coach train - certainly 6 coaches anyway - could pull up at Lewes and disgorge its passengers. That's not much to ask is it?

I suspect that the signal is where it is now was because the TOCs want OMO operation and the driver can't see around the curve from the front end of the train if it's pulled up near the junction. But then there are guards on the trains still so that shouldn't be the problem.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Ooh I really feel sorry for Mr Bloom. No I really feel sorry for the poor station staff at Polegate who had to deal on Tuesday with a load of abusive fans late at night, as well as for the fans. If the signal was where it SHOULD be located at Lewes, at the top of the platform, not halfway down it. then probably an 8-coach train - certainly 6 coaches anyway - could pull up at Lewes and disgorge its passengers. That's not much to ask is it?

I suspect that the signal is where it is now was because the TOCs want OMO operation and the driver can't see around the curve from the front end of the train if it's pulled up near the junction. But then there are guards on the trains still so that shouldn't be the problem.

Its been said about 3 times now that it is where it is so it doesnt affect the junction ahead of that line, so it cant be moved. Extending the Lewes platform cant happen either.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006

It looks to me like your trying to re-write the rules of signalling, Just accept the facts it's a lot easier.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports