Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

train carnage again to london

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
I appreciate all that. But there were still too many London types on the Student Line.

Talking of which - if I have to hear another vacuous conversation of "OMG, like, you know, like..." from the supposed intellectual cream of Britain's future, I shall, you know, like... (affects Australian inquisitive intonatation) do something.

The children are our future, big fella.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Making back a fortune this year with delay repay. That said they have not responded to any claims yet

The wife gets back Travel vouchers, which I find a bit of an insult after you have paid hard earned cash for a service that includes in that season ticket covers weekend trips to London anyway if she wanted to go. However who would want to go on a bloody train at the weekend after suffering a bad service during the week with a high chance of train delays due to engineering works anyway ! Can you claim cash back instead ?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I can tell you that I would have been off that train and walking along the track after an hour. There is no way that I would allow a railway company to hold me prisoner on a train for anything longer than that.

Would you?

-5ºC outside; howling wind; driving snow; no light; no idea whether the live rail is on or off; no idea where the edge of the embankment and the 20' fall away into the flood plain is; 2 mile walk; authorities out looking for you meaning your selfishness would cause further delays to everyone else.

What a man.

Where would I be off to? Down the line to the nearest station. If it was between Lewes and Falmer it couldn't have been far. If the police came looking for me that would have been good ... they would have assisted my escape to freedom.

There is absolutely no way I would have sat meekly on that train.

No, they would have arrested you.

You've no idea of the conditions, so you've no idea what you're on about.

Still, we could have done with someone being hysterical and suicidal to offset the calm inside the carriage.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
The wife gets back Travel vouchers, which I find a bit of an insult after you have paid hard earned cash for a service that includes in that season ticket covers weekend trips to London anyway if she wanted to go. However who would want to go on a bloody train at the weekend after suffering a bad service during the week with a high chance of train delays due to engineering works anyway ! Can you claim cash back instead ?
http://www.moneyweek.com/personal-finance/money-saving-tips/what-to-do-if-you-get-stuck-on-a-train-54028

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Would you?

-5ºC outside; howling wind; driving snow; no light; no idea whether the live rail is on or off; no idea where the edge of the embankment and the 20' fall away into the flood plain is; 2 mile walk; authorities out looking for you meaning your selfishness would cause further delays to everyone else.

What a man.

Still, we could have done with someone being hysterical and suicidal to offset the calm inside the carriage.

Might I suggest that such action would at least have highlighted the plight of the passengers on the train. There is no excuse whatever for anyone being stuck on a train for six hours as a result of a few inches of snow. As long as everyone is sitting calmly then the authorities figure there's not a big problem and give other matters priority. By kicking up a fuss (which includes abandoning the train) you would at least have ensured someone did something. This "sitting calmly" thing is so British and achieves zip.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Might I suggest that such action would at least have highlighted the plight of the passengers on the train. There is no excuse whatever for anyone being stuck on a train for six hours as a result of a few inches of snow. As long as everyone is sitting calmly then the authorities figure there's not a big problem and give other matters priority. By kicking up a fuss (which includes abandoning the train) you would at least have ensured someone did something. This "sitting calmly" thing is so British and achieves zip.

There was an incident a couple of years back, when a whole bunch of people got off a stuck train and walked. This was South London and the net result was a one hour delay for them turned into a three hour delay for everyone else. You can't run trains if there is a possibility that people are wandering about on the track in the dark, so whilst I agree with your sentiment, in practice this is not to be recommended.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
By kicking up a fuss (which includes abandoning the train) you would at least have ensured someone did something.

Yes - the thing someone would have done presumably would have been to slide down a wet embankment on one's arse, freeze to death unnoticed, get arrested, or trudge down the hard shoulder of the A27, or all of the above, none of which is particularly...Rambo, is it now?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Might I suggest that such action would at least have highlighted the plight of the passengers on the train. There is no excuse whatever for anyone being stuck on a train for six hours as a result of a few inches of snow. As long as everyone is sitting calmly then the authorities figure there's not a big problem and give other matters priority. By kicking up a fuss (which includes abandoning the train) you would at least have ensured someone did something.

The true tragedy is really believe that too, don't you?

Fact is, as you've highlighted, you don't know what you're on about.

This "sitting calmly" thing is so British and achieves zip.

Whereas your solution would actually make matters worse. Well done.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Whereas your solution would actually make matters worse

Indeed. The first thing they do if anyone is on the line is shut down the power to the whole region. Not sure how you get out of the new trains anyway with the doors locked, I think you'd have to force the door somehow. And don't forget they'll prosecute for trespass as well.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
The true tragedy is really believe that too, don't you?

Fact is, as you've highlighted, you don't know what you're on about.

Whereas your solution would actually make matters worse. Well done.

You and I seem to disagree about most things, so we'd best leave it at that. But the below story illustrates that it is best to create a fuss in order to get things done.

The Man Who Cried Wolf

Tony Gladstone was going to bed the other night when he realized that some people had broken into his shed and began stealing things. Gladstone phoned the police and was told that there was no one in the area to help, and they would send someone over as soon as possible.
Gladstone hung up. A minute later he called again. “Hello,” he says “I called you a minute ago because there were people in my shed. You don’t have to hurry now, because I’ve shot them.”
Within moments there were 6 police cars in the area, accompanied by helicopters and an armed response unit. The police response time was so immediate that they were able to catch the burglars in the act.
An officer on the scene says to Gladstone “I thought you said you’d shot them.”
To which Gladstone replied: “I thought you said there was no one available.”

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Would you?

What a man.

So you decide to clamber down the embankment till you get to a 12 ft iron fence with spikes on top (last time I saw someone attempt to climb one they did but landed the other side minus a finger) or you decide to walk to Falmer in the pitch dark alongside a live rail till you reach Falmer tunnel and a nice several hundred yards walk to the other side or you walk a couple of miles towards Lewes and again you meet another tunnel.

I think TLO did the right thing although Southern have been a bit stingy with the compo

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If that is the case then we're f***ed. Well and truly f***ed.

We are f***ed, what do you mean? And it isnt the children's fault. Far from it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Indeed. The first thing they do if anyone is on the line is shut down the power to the whole region. Not sure how you get out of the new trains anyway with the doors locked, I think you'd have to force the door somehow. And don't forget they'll prosecute for trespass as well.

Can you prosecute them for kidnap?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here