Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

train carnage again to london

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
I would say if you got a discount on the ticket due to getting specific trains, then they wouldn't normally let you go on others without penalty. You might get away with it though, depending on the guard

Surely there's some flexibility when *they* cancel the train...?

Cab to Lewes I fear.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Other than the time lost sat on the train, I'll probably work more hours today at home than I would have done, because I won't have a rush later to get home. Not really the point though

This. I get more done at home generally. However my colleagues and clients do like to see my face every now and again.

Southern fail just tweeted 100 minute delays! :facepalm:

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
This. I get more done at home generally. However my colleagues and clients do like to see my face every now and again.

Southern fail just tweeted 100 minute delays! :facepalm:

Anyone who gets the London Bridge train that leaves Shoreham at 6:22 knows that if the train is 10 minutes late getting to East Croydon, it terminates there, which is quite frankly pathetic

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
HovaBoy has just come home. Train from West Hove sat at Hove for ages. Then he was told to go to Lewes, so he turned round and came home. About 20 minutes ago.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Gave up on the 7:17 from Portslade -got as far as Hove and taxi back home. Says it all with Southern that they have Delay Repay so prominent on their website. Have written a snotty note to them and expect their standard letter reply, but at least I feel a bit better for it.

By the way - did you know that the Delay Repay assumes you travel 273 days per year when calculating the refund on ana annual ticket -thats 5.25 days/week, no public hols, no holidays taken into accountetc etc.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
f***ing joke. How many days in the past two months has a proper service run?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I don't understand why a broken down train has to create such a problem.

Surely the following train can just hitch onto the back of it and push it to the next siding which I believe in the case of Hassocks going NB would be Haywards Heath. Fairly simple and straightforward I would have thought.

Maybe a rail expert can comment?

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
I don't understand why a broken down train has to create such a problem.

Surely the following train can just hitch onto the back of it and push it to the next siding which I believe in the case of Hassocks going NB would be Haywards Heath. Fairly simple and straightforward I would have thought.

Maybe a rail expert can comment?

Brakes are stuck on the old and useless FCC train and apparently they can't fix it. Heard about 15 minutes ago that they are attempting to send a rescue train from Wivelsfield.

Lucky the route via Lewes is unblocked !!

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Downside: door to door it's taken me three hours to get to work today
Upside: the route via Lewes is quite scenic: our Amex of course, a rather brim-full river Ouse, Plumpton Racecourse
Even more upside: I'm moving back to the States next week so tomorrow's the last time (for a while) I'll be paying rip-off money for this terrible train service. FCC are the scum of the earth.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Making back a fortune this year with delay repay. That said they have not responded to any claims yet

I got a response from Southern from when I was stuck on the train between Falmer and Lewes a couple of weeks ago.

Fifty quid plus fifty quid travel vouchers, cos that evidently is all we're worth.

I wonder if freezing your bollocks off for six hours is something they consider as being worth fifty quid.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Brakes are stuck on the old and useless FCC train and apparently they can't fix it. Heard about 15 minutes ago that they are attempting to send a rescue train from Wivelsfield.

Lucky the route via Lewes is unblocked !!

'Unblocked' is pushing it.

There was a Gatwick Express train waiting for 10 minutes at London Road Station, going nowhere, doing nothing except delaying everything else behind it.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
'Unblocked' is pushing it.

There was a Gatwick Express train waiting for 10 minutes at London Road Station, going nowhere, doing nothing except delaying everything else behind it.

That's due to the poor signalling between Lewes and Brighton - the next signal is at Falmer after London Road.

Due to be upgraded shortly with smaller gaps, should also result in a better matchday service to the Amex.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
That's due to the poor signalling between Lewes and Brighton - the next signal is at Falmer after London Road.

Due to be upgraded shortly with smaller gaps, should also result in a better matchday service to the Amex.

I appreciate all that. But there were still too many London types on the Student Line.

Talking of which - if I have to hear another vacuous conversation of "OMG, like, you know, like..." from the supposed intellectual cream of Britain's future, I shall, you know, like... (affects Australian inquisitive intonatation) do something.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I got a response from Southern from when I was stuck on the train between Falmer and Lewes a couple of weeks ago.

Fifty quid plus fifty quid travel vouchers, cos that evidently is all we're worth.

I wonder if freezing your bollocks off for six hours is something they consider as being worth fifty quid.

I can tell you that I would have been off that train and walking along the track after an hour. There is no way that I would allow a railway company to hold me prisoner on a train for anything longer than that.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
I can tell you that I would have been off that train and walking along the track after an hour. There is no way that I would allow a railway company to hold me prisoner on a train for anything longer than that.

Where would you be off to ? It broke down on the steep embankment between Lewes and Falmer in the snowy and icy weather a few weeks ago. Not to mention in the dark

Not to mention police would have to come out looking for you - would probably delay everything further too.

But anyway, that's another topic.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Where would you be off to ? It broke down on the steep embankment between Lewes and Falmer in the snowy and icy weather a few weeks ago. Not to mention in the dark

Not to mention police would have to come out looking for you - would probably delay everything further too.

But anyway, that's another topic.

Where would I be off to? Down the line to the nearest station. If it was between Lewes and Falmer it couldn't have been far. If the police came looking for me that would have been good ... they would have assisted my escape to freedom.

There is absolutely no way I would have sat meekly on that train.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here