Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Train Alert - Tomorrow morning (Monday)

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
A wind turbine has been blown down by the wind in Devon, if that can be taken down then some trees would be no match.

The late start will allow Network Rail to check the tracks at first light and remove objects without delays, it also removes the risk of a train smashing into a fallen tree on the line that it only saw a few seconds before - which could cause massive damage and even more days of disruption - even injury or loss of life.

Also, if thousands wont be leaving early to get a train, then it means that they cant get injured by debris being blown around or have a tree fall on their car etc.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
FCC have announced that they will be running NO service before 9AM tomorrow, then a revised service after that. Does seem a bit over the top.

ALL Southern/Gatwick Express services tomorrow will be suspended until "declared safe to run".

Travel tomorrow should be avoided at all costs - take a day off with the kids or work from home !!

Where possible, we should all make our way safely to work/school/other as normal. I know its' half term for most kids.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
****ing brilliant. I've got to be in Potters Bar by 08:30. My own stupid fault for selling my car and believing that I could always make journeys like that on public transport.

Don't believe the green communists!

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Corrected for you/Southwestern.

There isnt just "some" risk - it is a real risk and trees WILL come down on the rail network.

Had the trains down here been running on overhead power lines, then they would have probably came down causing days of disruption.

Only a slight risk to safety ? Its a BIG risk.

FCC are now suspending services after Midnight tonight - until the all clear is given by Network Rail.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Didn't see it here, so I'm posting it!

http://www.southernrailway.com/southern/news/monday-28-october/

[h=1]Urgent travel information for Monday 28 October - no early morning train service due to storm risk[/h] Date: 27 Oct 2013
We have closely monitored the storm that is approaching which we now expect to reach and affect our region between 0100-0900 tomorrow (Monday 28 October). We are advised that there is a strong likelihood that this will mean that trees and other debris may fall on and obstruct railway lines.

We have worked closely with Network Rail, which has declared that while there is an immediate safety risk of fallen trees obstructing lines, no passenger services should run.
As a result of this, we will not be running any services tomorrow until the storm has passed our region, and Network Rail has been able to assess any damage from the storm and confirm that lines are clear of debris.
It is therefore highly unlikely that we will run any services before at least 0900 tomorrow morning and even when we are cleared to run, the first services will be very disjointed given the difficulties in getting trains and their crew to the right locations.
Along with Network Rail, we have worked hard to make contingency plans, but in the interests of safety, this difficult decision has been made.
We will therefore focus our efforts on providing a service as soon as we can tomorrow morning, but we anticipate that this will be a difficult and disruptive start to the week for our passengers.
Our website, www.southernrailway.com, will be kept updated with news as it is available, but passengers are advised to check with National Rail Enquiries on 08457 48 49 50 before traveling.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
What a ****ing joke. This country is pathetic.

I wonder if the game might be postponed tomorrow?

Yes that went through my mind too, probably be better for everyone if it was, with the risk of fallen trees, power cables down, and other collateral damage, continuing public transport problems making it difficult to get to and from the Amex.

A more pressing problem is that my wife is due home from a business trip to Italy tomorrow afternoon. Although whether her flight will actually land at Gatwick at 14.00 is another matter entirely. I guess l'll see her when l see her!

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
There isnt just "some" risk - it is a real risk and trees WILL come down on the rail network.

Had the trains down here been running on overhead power lines, then they would have probably came down causing days of disruption.

Only a slight risk to safety ? Its a BIG risk.

FCC are now suspending services after Midnight tonight - until the all clear is given by Network Rail.

Damned if they do - and damned if they don't. It's a no win situation for transport providers. If nothing happens and everyone stays safe they will still get all sorts of flak. OK it is disruptive but the winds predicted are exceptional.

The public's perception of risk is invariably different to those who have to run the services and foresee there is a reasonable chance that somewhere a tree will be blown across a rail track and is laying there waiting to derail a train or worse. Bad enough for commuters but imagine the moaning on here if the mainline or coastway line is trashed because they failed to check the tracks are safe and a more serious incident stops punters from getting to the match.

The same punters who drive their cars into floodwaters assuming its just a puddle or let their kids play in floodwater when normally its contaminated with sewage and chemicals. The same punters who when icy conditions arrive will still drive too fast and tailgate those who bother to use a bit of common sense, allow for the road conditions, drive a bit slower and give themselves a few extra minutes to do their journey.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What a ****ing joke. This country is pathetic.

I wonder if the game might be postponed tomorrow?

This, it's is astonishing. The country caves in at the first opportunity.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
All sounds pretty sensible. Why risk running trains that could endanger people further?

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
Was that just now? Probably based on the current reports from the South West that the winds are stronger than expected.

Well I'm in the south west and it's no worse than any other average blustery autumn day out there at the moment.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Will obviously affect our gate tomorrow as I am sure many who travel by train will give it a miss and watch on Sky.

If supporters have the same lilly livered white flag waving bottle job attitude as the train operating companies then I am sure the gate will be affected.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Damned if they do - and damned if they don't. It's a no win situation for transport providers. If nothing happens and everyone stays safe they will still get all sorts of flak. OK it is disruptive but the winds predicted are exceptional.

The public's perception of risk is invariably different to those who have to run the services and foresee there is a reasonable chance that somewhere a tree will be blown across a rail track and is laying there waiting to derail a train or worse. Bad enough for commuters but imagine the moaning on here if the mainline or coastway line is trashed because they failed to check the tracks are safe and a more serious incident stops punters from getting to the match.

The same punters who drive their cars into floodwaters assuming its just a puddle or let their kids play in floodwater when normally its contaminated with sewage and chemicals. The same punters who when icy conditions arrive will still drive too fast and tailgate those who bother to use a bit of common sense, allow for the road conditions, drive a bit slower and give themselves a few extra minutes to do their journey.

Not here. I would be standing outside Brighton station shouting and rattling the padlocked gates.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
This, it's is astonishing. The country caves in at the first opportunity.

Care to explain why when the last time Germany had the same such conditions as this, they suspended trains at the first chance ?

If supporters have the same lilly livered white flag waving bottle job attitude as the train operating companies then I am sure the gate will be affected.

I guess the people who dont turn up tomorrow never went to the Withdean in the freezing cold wind with pouring rain - THAT was worse than what we are going to get.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here