Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tourettes thing on BBC1 at 9pm

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I remember years ago I worked in Sainsburys, and was serving some woman at the till one day. She had a teenage lad with her, presumably her son, and without warning he started to blurt out "f***" repeatedly.

Initially you can't help but turn and stare, thinking how rude this person is, then you realise it's an inadvertent tic and you feel terrible for giving them the evil eye. It must be a horrendous condition to live with, both for the sufferers and their families. You'd feel like you had to continuously explain yourself, surely?

It looks funny on TV, but I recall a similar programme a few years back where a group of sufferers were taken to America, and when they went somewhere where there was a large black community one lad couldn't help shouting "******" and such as he walked around the place.

It's not so funny when it puts you in a position where (1) you'll genuinely upset people who don't know about your condition and (2) are likely to get your ass kicked as a result.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I think the people involved had such high levels of self-awareness of their condition that I suspect they very much know how funny it can seem to others and therefore use that funniness to raise awareness of it via programmes that end up funny, poignant as well as dignified, like last night's.

I shudder to think what Channel 5 might have called it..."Chickenf*cker: The 38 Year Old Virgin Who Calls His Mum A C*nt"...

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I remember years ago I worked in Sainsburys, and was serving some woman at the till one day. She had a teenage lad with her, presumably her son, and without warning he started to blurt out "f***" repeatedly.

Initially you can't help but turn and stare, thinking how rude this person is, then you realise it's an inadvertent tic and you feel terrible for giving them the evil eye. It must be a horrendous condition to live with, both for the sufferers and their families. You'd feel like you had to continuously explain yourself, surely?

It looks funny on TV, but I recall a similar programme a few years back where a group of sufferers were taken to America, and when they went somewhere where there was a large black community one lad couldn't help shouting "******" and such as he walked around the place.

It's not so funny when it puts you in a position where (1) you'll genuinely upset people who don't know about your condition and (2) are likely to get your ass kicked as a result.

lighten up , it was hilarious especially the ****** comment

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
R M Taylor has partial Tourettes Syndrome , no body ticks only the incessant swearing. As many of you know when you have stood near him at away games. :)

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
lighten up , it was hilarious especially the ****** comment

Oi, I'm not saying you can't help but smile, I've just watched it on I-Player and I laughed.

But as a human being I can't help but consider what a nightmare it must be for sufferers, that's all. Especially the young lad, surely you must feel some kind of empathy for him?

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
Arses! I've been watching the trailers for this all week and now I go and miss the fecking programme!

Of Tourettes, the brother of a young friend of ours convinced his science teacher that he was a sufferer. At half hourly intervals the boy would twitch, shout "f***!" very loudly and then carry on as normal. This state of affairs lasted a whole year until, at a Parents Evening, the teacher congratulated his mother on how well the lad coped with Tourettes and the game was finally up.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Oi, I'm not saying you can't help but smile, I've just watched it on I-Player and I laughed.

But as a human being I can't help but consider what a nightmare it must be for sufferers, that's all. Especially the young lad, surely you must feel some kind of empathy for him?

He seemed a real nice fella so yeah i get ya point

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
Did anyone see the one where they took the kids to France....and when they went through the ferry terminal and passport control they kept shouting "BOMB"

I know it is not good to mock the afflicted, but I had to leave the room I was crying so much

THINK THERE WAS ALSO ONE WHERE THEY WENT TOO AMERICA AT A THEME PARK AND THE KIDS WERE SHOUTING ****** & TWIN TOWERS:lol:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
what was the programme called?

im going to virgin on-demand it later when i am a bit DRUNK to amuse myself

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Tourette's- I Swear I Can't Help It

It's still on BBC iPlayer if you want to see it.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003

getreal1

Aug 13, 2008
Fabulous - "even shopping trips with his friend Tommy Trotter" can bring on an attack ... The subject of the programme is absolutely right - it is the funniest condition - however much anyone tries to bring sympathy into this.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Ahhhhh, Narcolepsy. At least we now have a name for the condition that struck most of our squad this season.

I used to work in a building where one of the IT support team suffered from this. It was great. We used to wait until we had had enough of work, then generate a computer fault which meant we had to call him out. As soon as he sat down, he used to nod off! We were told that it was too dangerous to wake him (or that may have been a rumour we started ourselves!), so we couldn't carry on working.

He had a nervous breakdown eventually - someone photoshopped his head onto Pamela Anderson's body and the naughy IT trainees printed it out full size and stuck it onto a door. Apparently he walked into the office, saw the poster, and had a full on breakdown. Very sad. But also very funny, especially when I was questioned by a Senior Officer who couldn't keep a straight face about the souce of the picture.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here