Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Tottenham Hotspur vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
For the var to overrule a goal given on the pitch it should not be open to debate. That is the point. If it is a clear handball then disallow. If it is debatable whether it hits his hand then this means there is not proof it did so therefore the goal has to stand. Unless they show us angles that we have not seen yet then no proof exists. They have guessed it hits hand and are overturning based on that. It should not be debatable. That is the point.

Agreed, but we haven't seen all angles. I was just responding to the "referees union" responses on here.

The disallowed goals I can somewhat live with, albeit without getting into a "non proven" debate.

The penalty shouts ? Blimey. What the f@@@ is VAR there for ?

I think we can agree that you might as well get rid of it if it can't step in and give them. It's a confused nonsense bullshit, commentators calling out things live at the game with the same replays VAR has.

No grey area, why should anyone give a @@@@ if the referee made a clear and obvious error ? They have extra eyes on the game, use them.

PL needs to take a grip and challenge the self protection that appears to be influencing VAR decisions.

SlickHenry

Apr 10, 2020
Just got back home after the game and still trying to process it all as a lot happened for my first away game!

VAR is there to prevent the clear and obvious errors both in decisions made and incidents missed. My understanding is that if the referee’s decision takes precedence unless there is clear evidence that VAR can see to overturn it, a bit like umpire’s call in DRS.

So Mitoma’s chalked off goal was given on the field so it should stand unless VAR can conclusively see that an error is made by the ref for letting it stand. I’ve seen the replay several times and I am not sure if it hits below the T-shirt line. It is further complicated by the shove by Romero. Therefore it is inconclusive and the goal should stand as the referee didn’t disallow it.

Mac Allister handball again was not given by the referee so there needs to be clear evidence that it hit his hand. Again it is a tough to see but I think it does, so by the laws that should be ruled out.

Finally the penalty call, VAR can check even though the referee didn’t give it as it is in the area. It looks a clear foul to me so the VAR should look at it and at the very least refer it back to the referee to see on the monitor with the chance to reverse his decision. No idea why this doesn’t happen.

Overall really frustrating and it does feel that it cost us the game. However, I don’t buy the conspiracy theories or corruption angles. Refereeing is not easy and VAR is meant to help. It just seems that it is not being correctly used and is leading to a poor experience for everyone- fans, players and on field officials .
Okay now I have seen MOTD and not just highlights on my phone on way back. I am shocked how the assistant signalled handball from that position but okay that is chalked off. Mac Allister shouldn’t be chalked off as not clear. Why ref not asked to look at two fouls in the box is ridiculous. There was a late one on March that wasn’t on any highlights I have seen either

South Oz Seagull

Jan 2, 2022
Norwood SA
I just woke up, bollouex, not looking forward to watching this after reading a few comments here.
It's sickening mate. Just imagine if West Coast played Collingwood and the whole game was 100% umpired in favour of Collingwood, decision after decision after decision after decision after decision after decision.......to the point of insanity. Do yourself a favour and don't watch it.

Blues Guitarist

Oct 19, 2020
St Johann in Tirol
For balance, a few comments from the Spurs forum The Fighting Cock:
  • Ref gave us 3 points today
  • VAR has been our best player today
  • Brighton have been robbed
  • Just watched MOTD someone at VAR bet everything they had on spurs to win I'm sure of it
  • I will say, this match was definitely crooked
  • I don't like it that my team benefits from what is clearly a corrupt process

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
I didn't comment at the end yesterday despite having watched the full match because I had to go out with friends, then went to dinner at theirs and together we watched Juve lose 1-2 to Lazio because of a dubious goal. Not a good day for watching football all in all.

allegri.gif

I said before the match that despite their poor form Tottenham are a very dangerous kind of team for you; I didn't think VAR decisions would play such a big part in it but despite that and how well you played, you can still learn from this match.

If you concede two goals against Tottenham you'll have to put a minimum of 3 past them to win - and yeah, with them being how they are the moment you are capable of doing that but against a slightly better defense it would be extremely difficult.

Maybe it's my Juve DNA but I think against top teams (i.e. teams of top players) - especially more defensive ones - you should be more focused than ever on restricting their chances in attack, even though I know that's not really De Zerbi's style. That's because you'll usually have way fewer chances against their defenses to balance the score. You let Atletico or Juve score twice, chances are you aren't going to win the match; it happened only once in the whole season (europe + league) - Benfica away for us and Cadiz away for Atletico. And maybe you'll manage to consistently be that one team that does it, but being a skeptic I struggle to be a firm believer in this very courageous idea.

This was a bad match in terms of league points being robbed and effort going unrewarded, but it was still a good experience to have under your belt for what you'll have to face.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If you concede two goals against Tottenham you'll have to put a minimum of 3 past them to win - and yeah, with them being how they are the moment you are capable of doing that but against a slightly better defense it would be extremely difficult.

Maybe it's my Juve DNA but I think against top teams (i.e. teams of top players) - especially more defensive ones - you should be more focused than ever on restricting their chances in attack

Being more defensive is often quite Italian. And whilst Spurs were able to score twice (one a Son wonder goal, and the other a deflection), a more defensive team than them might not.

And yes we might lose to Atleti or Juve, but is that so bad for Brighton?

Yesterday we played an attacking game and we scored 3 and should have had 3 penalties. Letting in 2 when you play like that ain't bad going.

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
That lad clearly needs more practice taking a jacket off.
That lad is our beloathed and beloved coach 😇

Being more defensive is often quite Italian. And whilst Spurs were able to score twice (one a Son wonder goal, and the other a deflection), a more defensive team than them might not.

And yes we might lose to Atleti or Juve, but is that so bad for Brighton?

Yesterday we played an attacking game and we scored 3 and should have had 3 penalties. Letting in 2 when you play like that ain't bad going.
Yep, if you play like that against a team that leaves you with so many chances, and do it regularly, you won't have a problem. Not easy though. I'm not saying you showed big flaws, but there are always small things to improve no matter how good you are (otherwise it would mean that this is the maximum level you can reach, and I don't think it is.) And sure, it currently isn't unexpected for you to lose to that kind of teams, but it should be bad for you to lose to anyone. That's what you're building. Not coming back from the Etihad thinking "Oh well, as expected, nothing we can do", but rather "f***, we could and should have won that!" I can tell you I wouldn't bet on our current Juve team to beat you in a match.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
That is the single most worst display of so called refereeing in premier league history. That it seemingly borders on the corrupt is undeniable. Whether it be subconscious or not these truly pathetic, weak officials feel that every goal against one of the so called bigger, more famous sides has to be scrutinised extra hard to make absolutely sure that a mistake is not being made against them. When it comes to the traditionally less successful, smaller teams. Oh it doesn't really matter does it. This happened a few weeks back with Bournemouth against Arsenal. 4/5 mins of extra time fulfilled, oh let's just add another couple of minutes to see if Arsenal can get the winner. They did, the narrative is fulfilled. Never mind about plucky Bournemouth. The premier league is a cesspit, filled with corporate trash. Every title won by Chelsea and Man City is null and void in my opinion. If we beat Man Utd in the semi final of the FA cup, oh we have to face Man city in the final, a club that has broken every financial rule imaginable. How can that shitshow of an outfit even claim that it is a genuine title. It isn't, it's only gained through corruption

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here