Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Tottenham Hotspur vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Okay, so why is there SO much incompetence that it appears to be corrupt? We can all accept wrong decisions, but now there is far less margins for error - supposedly.
It happens far too frequently to be chance, so what is the explanation?
Today was one of the worst I have ever seen...throughout the entire match.
It's not sour grapes, as I can easily accept a loss, but it's the manner of it that makes me sick. Utterly sick.
Easy to answer that. The referees are wankers :shrug:

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
That wanker is just paid to make plainly stupid comments, he doesn't disappoint. To think that idiot was once in charge of games.
surely they can't just change what is and isn't a pen on a whim. that's what the pre season meetings to discuss rules are for. once that's done it should be a level playing field with no changes. Walton was talking nonsense

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Think the club needs to do something about this. Won’t change the result of course but they need to hold Salisbury, Attwell, the Assistants and Webb to account. It may look like sour grapes but we’ve been cheated. Not 1 decision but 3 or 4 massive ones. They need to explain the process for arriving at 4 of these decisions and highlight the other massive injustices we’ve had (March V Villa and Palace). It’s too much now and we need to stand up not fall. Anything legal we can do? Probably not. Hope TB and PB are cooling off before doing anything but hope they do something even if it is just highlighting the monumental injustices we’ve had in just one game. It brings the whole score line into disrepute.

Quebec Seagull

Vive le football... LIBRE!
Oct 19, 2022
Gatineau, Québec, CANADA
surely they can't just change what is and isn't a pen on a whim. that's what the pre season meetings to discuss rules are for. once that's done it should be a level playing field with no changes. Walton was talking nonsense

This actually happens in the NHL, where rules are applied more strictly by the refs when the more serious business of playoffs begin. What qualifies as boarding, interference or slashing, for example, is much different in October-March than in April-June.

And in MLB, the strike zone tends to shrink quite a bit once the regular season ends.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Think the club needs to do something about this. Won’t change the result of course but they need to hold Salisbury, Attwell, the Assistants and Webb to account. It may look like sour grapes but we’ve been cheated. Not 1 decision but 3 or 4 massive ones. They need to explain the process for arriving at 4 of these decisions and highlight the other massive injustices we’ve had (March V Villa and Palace). It’s too much now and we need to stand up not fall. Anything legal we can do? Probably not. Hope TB and PB are cooling off before doing anything but hope they do something even if it is just highlighting the monumental injustices we’ve had in just one game. It brings the whole score line into disrepute.
I think the club should make an official complaint, if only so that next Saturday, VAR check all of our decisions really carefully. Who knows we might get so é of the 50/50s in our favour

SlickHenry

Apr 10, 2020
Just got back home after the game and still trying to process it all as a lot happened for my first away game!

VAR is there to prevent the clear and obvious errors both in decisions made and incidents missed. My understanding is that if the referee’s decision takes precedence unless there is clear evidence that VAR can see to overturn it, a bit like umpire’s call in DRS.

So Mitoma’s chalked off goal was given on the field so it should stand unless VAR can conclusively see that an error is made by the ref for letting it stand. I’ve seen the replay several times and I am not sure if it hits below the T-shirt line. It is further complicated by the shove by Romero. Therefore it is inconclusive and the goal should stand as the referee didn’t disallow it.

Mac Allister handball again was not given by the referee so there needs to be clear evidence that it hit his hand. Again it is a tough to see but I think it does, so by the laws that should be ruled out.

Finally the penalty call, VAR can check even though the referee didn’t give it as it is in the area. It looks a clear foul to me so the VAR should look at it and at the very least refer it back to the referee to see on the monitor with the chance to reverse his decision. No idea why this doesn’t happen.

Overall really frustrating and it does feel that it cost us the game. However, I don’t buy the conspiracy theories or corruption angles. Refereeing is not easy and VAR is meant to help. It just seems that it is not being correctly used and is leading to a poor experience for everyone- fans, players and on field officials .

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Finally the penalty call, VAR can check even though the referee didn’t give it as it is in the area. It looks a clear foul to me so the VAR should look at it and at the very least refer it back to the referee to see on the monitor with the chance to reverse his decision. No idea why this doesn’t happen.
Because if the ref had been asked to go and look it on the monitor - how would he have not given it. He would have had to hand back the brown envelope surely? So - better not refer him to the monitor.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Just got back home after the game and still trying to process it all as a lot happened for my first away game!

VAR is there to prevent the clear and obvious errors both in decisions made and incidents missed. My understanding is that if the referee’s decision takes precedence unless there is clear evidence that VAR can see to overturn it, a bit like umpire’s call in DRS.

So Mitoma’s chalked off goal was given on the field so it should stand unless VAR can conclusively see that an error is made by the ref for letting it stand. I’ve seen the replay several times and I am not sure if it hits below the T-shirt line. It is further complicated by the shove by Romero. Therefore it is inconclusive and the goal should stand as the referee didn’t disallow it.

Mac Allister handball again was not given by the referee so there needs to be clear evidence that it hit his hand. Again it is a tough to see but I think it does, so by the laws that should be ruled out.

Overall really frustrating and it does feel that it cost us the game. However, I don’t buy the conspiracy theories or corruption angles. Refereeing is not easy and VAR is meant to help. It just seems that it is not being correctly used and is leading to a poor experience for everyone- fans, players and on field officials .
Putting aside three penalties appeals all which were penalties the first goal was ruled out by the linesman pointing to his sleeve, the second completely inconclusive as it hit his hip and then the March through on goal taken out from behind. All against one team away to Spurs. em..... let me think

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Unfortunately VAR is clearly (and obviously) currently being run to protect the reputation of the officials rather than simply being a technology that corrects their mistakes or spot things they have missed. The "clear and obvious" get out is nonsense in terms of penalties and goals. Something that only gets accepted through bargaining and self protection. It's there to protect the integrity of referees, not the rules of the game.

I accept that both our disallowed goals today are open to debate, but the two penalties clearly (and obviously) weren't. Referee missed them, VAR should step in to correct it.

The issue isn't technology, it's the "referees union", clearly (and obviously) uncomfortable in correcting the mistakes of their own. Unfortunately they hold that in greater regard than the rules.

It's an institutional issue that fears transparency, technological advances and change.

Last edited:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Unfortunately VAR is clearly (and obviously) currently being run to protect the reputation of the officials rather than simply being a technology that corrects their mistakes or spot things they have missed. The "clear and obvious" get out is nonsense in terms of penalties and goals. I accept that both our disallowed goals today are open to debate, but the two penalties clearly (and obviously) weren't. Referee missed then, VAR should step in to correct it.

The issue isn't technology, it's the "referees union", clearly (and obviously) uncomfortable in correcting the mistakes of their own. Unfortunately they hold that in greater regard than the rules.
Yes - but the ref awarded Welbeck's goal. VAR overturned the ref's decision.

SlickHenry

Apr 10, 2020
Putting aside three penalties appeals all which were penalties the first goal was ruled out by the linesman pointing to his sleeve, the second completely inconclusive as it hit his hip and then the March through on goal taken out from behind. All against one team away to Spurs. em..... let me think
Oh I didnt know the linesman ruled Mitoma’s out. I actually thought he was signalling it was okay, indicating it hit his shoulder!?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Following MOTD:

Should have been a penalty for the first handball. His arm was in a very unnatural position and he made contact with the ball = pen.
Mitoma's goal: It looks like it wasn't handball. An argument could be that although it looked like it wasn't, the footage wasn't clear enough to overall the on-field decision - but then....
MacAllister's goal - the ball hits his hip. It looks like it doesn't touch his arm, but it's not clear - so as with the Mitoma decision, you don't overrule the on-field decision unless it's a clear error, and it's not.
Mitoma pen: clear as they get.
Dunk pen: 2 hands pulling shirt = pen.

So we should have had 3 penalties and one of the goals allowed.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think the club should make an official complaint, if only so that next Saturday, VAR check all of our decisions really carefully. Who knows we might get so é of the 50/50s in our favour
We did that for the goal against Palace. The FA apologised. And then the decisions keep going against us.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Why don’t we hear the discussion with var like we do in rugby and cricket? Then we could know how they get to the ridiculous decisions. The Alexis goal was a guess to overrule. Is there an angle showing it definitely hit hand? The one I saw looks like hip and that changes ball flight.

The two penalties are two of the worst decisions you could see. Stick them on the pile with March Var villa when he was lucky his leg wasn’t broken and Welbeck against leicester. Lest we forget the lines being from wrong sodding defender against palace. From those games we picked up 2 points. If we get those decisions we should then we get at least 10. That is top 4 time. It is beyond a joke now.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Yes - but the ref awarded Welbeck's goal. VAR overturned the ref's decision.

If you re-read my post (you probably require a VAR) I said that goals were both open to debate.

My issue is with the penalties and VAR. If it can't see the referee made a mistake, that it's everything do with the politics of a referee not wanting to be seen to overrule the judgement of another.

There is nothing subjective about either. Ref missed them, VAR should step in.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
If you re-read my post (you probably require a VAR) I said that goals were both open to debate.

My issue is with the penalties and VAR. If it can't see the referee made a mistake, that it's everything do with the politics of a referee not wanting to be seen to overrule the judgement of another.
For the var to overrule a goal given on the pitch it should not be open to debate. That is the point. If it is a clear handball then disallow. If it is debatable whether it hits his hand then this means there is not proof it did so therefore the goal has to stand. Unless they show us angles that we have not seen yet then no proof exists. They have guessed it hits hand and are overturning based on that. It should not be debatable. That is the point.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here