Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
How does someone square the circle of being 'more in the Corbyn camp than the Starmer' but is a a multiple homeowner/landlord ?
Hmm, I realise that there may instinctively be a hypocrisy but I entirely support safeguards for renters, controls on rent rises etc etc. Or is there something more specific?

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
depends on the bill. we need to see the cost of buy back and the onward investment. a while back McDonnell wrapped it up in a £250bn fund, we never got details.

this is the pragmatic assessment: do we want to have private funding, pay maybe 3-4% out in profits to shareholders, or have public funding, pay 3-4% interest to bond holders. i dont think either side will present it in those terms.
the second option, as it has a fixed term.

as thatch said, imagine that the economy is like your household budget...................

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Underinvestment in the NHS? In the past 10 years, the NHS England budget (and the rest of the UK has seen similar) has increased in real terms by 32%, from £115 billion to £152 billion. The extra money hasn't improved the service one jot - it hasn't gone on nurses, it hasn't gone on extra medical staff, it hasn't gone on carrying out more procedures. It has been wasted.

A policy of "we will stand by a drain and pour another £30 billion down it" is not going to make people better. The Tories' problem isn't that they haven't spent the money, it's that they haven't made any sort of effort (at least, not successfully) to see it's been looked after.
have the tories got too many middle management types in the nhs?

their kids need jobs with a tidy pension!

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
It seems there is a general consensus that huge amounts of money for the NHS has been wasted. I think the main questions are where is the wasted money going and who is responsible for directing the funds..... Any thoughts?

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
It seems there is a general consensus that huge amounts of money for the NHS has been wasted. I think the main questions are where is the wasted money going and who is responsible for directing the funds..... Any thoughts?

A few years ago a private company that sends medication to me (as an NHS provider) called to check that my delivery was complete. It wasnt. I told them it wasn't urgent and to put the item in the post, 2nd class. Instead they despatched it by courier the next day and there was an copy invoice for over £300 attached to the item ... The courier company was part of the same group as the privatised part of NHS fulfilment. ...it was a 24" piece of tube for enteral feeding. I checked the courier cost for the package on the open market and it was £ 25.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It's quite simple.

Usually when a Government gets into power it's picking up the mistakes of the last, which in itself got them into power in the first place.

Because Labour has been in an electable mess post Blair, the Conservative party has been picking up the mess up of itself ever since.

That's why Labour will win the next election. The sensible know that for the sake of democracy, the Conservatives need at least a couple of terms out of power to sort themselves out.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

All public sector entities are responsible for waste, I've seen it first hand but then are private sector companies.

Private sector companies have the option to simply remove a service or product if it isn't profitable (or wasteful) but that's often very difficult for the public sector.

My personal experience of waste is packaged drugs. Once they get administered they are effectively issued to an individual. If they are not needed, not working, not taken or delivered by mistake they get thrown in the bin.

I've also witnessed the same with other medical supplies that aren't drugs that could happily (and safely) be donated to someone who needs them. You can't send them back...

It runs into hundreds of millions.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Underinvestment in the NHS? In the past 10 years, the NHS England budget (and the rest of the UK has seen similar) has increased in real terms by 32%, from £115 billion to £152 billion. The extra money hasn't improved the service one jot - it hasn't gone on nurses, it hasn't gone on extra medical staff, it hasn't gone on carrying out more procedures. It has been wasted.

A policy of "we will stand by a drain and pour another £30 billion down it" is not going to make people better. The Tories' problem isn't that they haven't spent the money, it's that they haven't made any sort of effort (at least, not successfully) to see it's been looked after.
Rubbish, that's just an easy sweeping statement. It might be possible to criticise if at the start of that cycle the NHS was adequately funded. It wasn't so it's already on the back foot. Also, you have to look at the service demand over that time and how that has changed. It's frequently commented on that we have an aging population so that will be more demanding on the service.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
All public sector entities are responsible for waste, I've seen it first hand but then are private sector companies.

Private sector companies have the option to simply remove a service or product if it isn't profitable (or wasteful) but that's often very difficult for the public sector.

My personal experience of waste is packaged drugs. Once they get administered they are effectively issued to an individual. If they are not needed, not working, not taken or delivered by mistake they get thrown in the bin.

I've also witnessed the same with other medical supplies that aren't drugs that could happily (and safely) be donated to someone who needs them. You can't send them back...

It runs into hundreds of millions.
Yes indeed. Very frustrating.

And what was behind the move to have everything in sealed plastic and foil units - taking up a load of space and resources. What was actually wrong with the small glass bottles that you returned and got reused?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Rubbish, that's just an easy sweeping statement. It might be possible to criticise if at the start of that cycle the NHS was adequately funded. It wasn't so it's already on the back foot. Also, you have to look at the service demand over that time and how that has changed. It's frequently commented on that we have an aging population so that will be more demanding on the service.
Wasn't there a report released a couple of days ago by the government that found failings in the NHS were mostly due to its underfunding ?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Stretford and Urmston parliamentary by-election, result:

LAB: 69.6% (+9.3)
CON: 15.9% (-11.7)
GRN: 4.3% (+1.6)
LDEM: 3.6% (-2.4)
REF: 3.5% (+3.5)
REU: 1.3% (+1.3)
IND: 1.0% (+1.0)
FA: 0.4% (+0.4)
SDP: 0.4% (+0.4)

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
More evidence the Tory meltdown has cost us even more.

Now our key workers pay the bill

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It really has. Bodian has helpfully posted the actual graph above that makes that clear.
I note that you haven't responded to the previous question I posed. Might that be because the answer is uncomfortable for what you're attempting to achieve?
Just in case you've been busy, here it is again:
Can you share with us the following information please:
1, what proportion of GDP does the US spend on healthcare?
2, what proportion of GDP does the UK spend on healthcare?

You're also exercised about the amount of money spent on the NHS over the past eight years, and using this to forward the agenda that a public service is 'inefficient'. Now, let's have a look at two bits of data on this. I'll add some analysis to it too -- I'm sure you'll disagree with this, but we'll leave it up to others to form their judgment. So, first:

Osborne's (dreadful) austerity policy starved the NHS for three years -- following on from an impressive upturn in funding from New Labour (although this isn't accounted for in this graph). You conveniently ignore these three years, and want to start your analysis at the point that spending did actually start to increase. The NHS (and all healthcare systems in the 'developed' world) need extra resources each year, because there's an increased demand -- estimated at 4%pa -- due to an ageing population. So, by your starting point, the NHS was well shy of resources, and the government had to start firefighting, which accounts for most of the increases over the following years (13/14 to 19/20). There was then a massive spike in 20/21, which was for Covid. Included in that extra amount was the creation of separation between CV and non-CV treatment in hospitals, Nightingales, PPE, mass testing, provision of free tests to the public, the cost of treating a 'once in a century pandemic', and so on.
Given that demand has increased 4% year on year for 12 years, and the cost of CV, the extra funding really isn't that much, and way, way behind what it should be if supply were to meet demand.
Now, let's also factor this chart in from the Nuffield Trust, which I don't think requires too much analysis (see: https://www.nuffieldtrust.org.uk/ne...-and-future-of-government-spending-on-the-nhs)

Changes in health spending per capita, adjusted for demographic changes​

Time period, political partyAverage annual change in per capita health spending (adjusted)
1979–1997, Conservatives+2.03%
1997–2010, Labour+5.67%
2010–2015, Con/Lib coalition-0.07%
2015–2021, Conservatives-0.03%
2021–2024, Conservatives – committed spend+2.05%

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here