Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I posted about this back in November 2019. Seems appropriate to highlight these figures again today.

Just 8% of the Conservative party's members "would be proud of Britain if we were to elect a Muslim as our Prime Minister", whilst 43% agreed that they "would prefer to not have the country led by a Muslim".

"Forty percent of Conservative party members surveyed said Britain should lower the number of Muslims entering the country, compared to just five percent who said the same for Christians or Jewish people."

How come this was allowed to slip under the radar at the time, yet there was endless coverage about anti-semitism in Labour? Hmmm...
These figures display huge levels of Islamaphobia in the Tory party, but have hardly ever been referred to by the media.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/a...would-reject-muslim-prime-minister-poll-finds

I had a related discussion with [MENTION=34242]Neville's Breakfast[/MENTION] a week or so ago. I think the answer is quite simple: the (traditional) media as a whole (ie including the 'left-wing' BBC) scrutinises and is hostile to the Labour Party, far more than it is to the Tory Party. Yet, plenty inform me that we have a balanced media.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I had a related discussion with [MENTION=34242]Neville's Breakfast[/MENTION] a week or so ago. I think the answer is quite simple: the (traditional) media as a whole (ie including the 'left-wing' BBC) scrutinises and is hostile to the Labour Party, far more than it is to the Tory Party. Yet, plenty inform me that we have a balanced media.

Most of the newspaper owners are billionaires so will print the agenda that suits their lifstyle.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Cummings to be interviewed tomorrow, but Gray has already interviewed the Police on duty in Downing Street regarding what they observed.

Tomorrow's Telegraph front page quotes their "source" (in relation the MET's evidence) when asked how significant their evidence was:

"Put it this way, if Boris Johnson is still Prime Minister by the end of the week, I'd be very surprised."

Daily-Telegraph-18.jpg

I've thought for a while it will be the visits to the flat that will see him finished. Let's see.

Last edited:

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
There's a level of misogyny against Carrie among a lot of Boris supporters who blame her for some perceived weakening of their hero. Over the weekend there were reports that it was visits to see her, not him, that were the latest focus of the investigation - looks like she might end up scapegoat perhaps.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Boris Johnson news – latest: PM ‘must be questioned’ in Ghani sacking probe, as No 10 party report looms

Lib Dems are calling on “Boris Johnson himself” to be questioned as part of the Cabinet Office investigation into why former junior transport minister Nusrat Ghani was sacked from her job in 2020. Ms Ghani, the Tory MP for Wealden, claims a government whip told her at the time that the decision was made due to her “Muslimness”. Mark Spencer, the government’s chief whip, denied the “completely false” allegations, branding them “defamatory”.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/boris-johnson-news-latest-pm-must-be-questioned-in-ghani-sacking-probe-as-no-10-party-report-looms/ar-AAT4OGK?ocid=mailsignout

I'm guessing that Sue Gray is starting to understand what it feels like painting the Forth Bridge :lolol:

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Rats and sinking ships, eh?

"A Conservative minister in the House of Lords has resigned attacking the government's handling of fraudulent Covid business loans."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-60117513

All-in-all it's just another, crumbling Red Wall :lol:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Rats and sinking ships, eh?

"A Conservative minister in the House of Lords has resigned attacking the government's handling of fraudulent Covid business loans."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-60117513

All-in-all it's just another, crumbling Red Wall :lol:

Its actually the blue wall in places like the Homes Counties that I think will take more of an issue with this.

As soon as these loans were made available it was obvious they were open to mass fraud, Sunak demonstrated he was wet behind the ears

Capture.PNG

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Worth giving credit to the Lord for resigning, as it shows integrity. It's not Estelle Morris levels of integrity, but at least it illustrates that it's not completely obsolete at present.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1241348429546217475[/tweet]

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If you believe Number 10 (who would) it is a case of people taking cake to his desk

There is a danger here of diluting the bigger parties with nothingness stories like this.

They are all nothingness stories. Nothing has been proven. If Sue White finds that there were breaches then these were simple honest mistakes. If they weren't simple honest mistakes, Johnson has already apologised. The electorate are not interested.

I supect there are tens of thousands of people who observed the rules, not visiting loved ones who, nevertheless died, alone, of Covid, who still feel that Johnson has a very difficult job and made decisions to share cakes and an occasional glass of wine with senior colleagues in good faith, while dealing brilliantly with the challenges of Brexit and the pandemic.

That Jeremy Corbyn, though.

Until labour can show they have something better to offer, it is understandable that people will stick with what they know.

(Actually, I haven't seen ANY posts on NSC from people like this, in the last couple of months. Perhaps there are people I have on ignore who are still bat shit mental. Perhaps not. Hopefully not. Perhaps I have misjudged the anger of the nation on this occasion :shrug:)

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Johnson has final say on what is published of the report. He is only required to publish what he wants people to see.

What a sham. Investigating your boss and then letting your boss decide what can be published, whether he has done wrong, and what punishment he’d like to receive.

I mean, it’s just ****ing ludicrous. No better than Russia or China.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Happy Birthday, Johnson !

Hope you enjoyed your illegal get together !

Give the country a present and just Go !

Lol.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Happy Birthday, Johnson !

Hope you enjoyed your illegal get together !

Give the country a present and just Go !

Lol.

If what’s being reported is true, I broke the law at Asda a number of times when people brought in cake for peoples birthdays

I imagine it was the same up and down the country in work places that were open.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
If you believe Number 10 (who would) it is a case of people taking cake to his desk

There is a danger here of diluting the bigger parties with nothingness stories like this.

The issue lies (unavoidable pun) in your first four words………does anybody?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here