Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Climate campaigners and politicians have reacted with fury to the news that the UK climate change minister, Graham Stuart, has returned to London from Cop28

Francesca Rhodes, of Care International UK, said: “If the reports are accurate, it is staggering that the UK government has no ministers attending the final critical days of Cop28. These negotiations will decide the fate of millions of people facing floods, fires and famine due to the climate crisis. The UK has played a productive role in the talks so far but leaving early is simply shameful. Time and again, wealthy countries have let down low-income countries. The latest text was deeply disappointing and does not keep 1.5C alive. When the UK should be standing up for marginalised communities, including women and girls

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
The fact Rishi feels he needs to call a minister back says to me is that he can't be certain he has the numbers to be able to pass the Rwanda bill today.

I'm sure it will pass - would take a rebellion on seismic proportions for it not to - but just the act of needing to call the minister back tells us everything we need to know about how weak his position as PM currently is.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Climate campaigners and politicians have reacted with fury to the news that the UK climate change minister, Graham Stuart, has returned to London from Cop28

Francesca Rhodes, of Care International UK, said: “If the reports are accurate, it is staggering that the UK government has no ministers attending the final critical days of Cop28. These negotiations will decide the fate of millions of people facing floods, fires and famine due to the climate crisis. The UK has played a productive role in the talks so far but leaving early is simply shameful. Time and again, wealthy countries have let down low-income countries. The latest text was deeply disappointing and does not keep 1.5C alive. When the UK should be standing up for marginalised communities, including women and girls
Well OBVIOUSLY, a minister who will vote with the PM on his flagship Rwanda policy needs to be back in Westminster today.

Saving face over a binfire of a policy is OBVIOUSLY more important than saving the World from actual fire isn't it? Isn't it?

Isn't it?

🤷‍♂️

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The fact Rishi feels he needs to call a minister back says to me is that he can't be certain he has the numbers to be able to pass the Rwanda bill today.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Whatever happens this lot are going to hang around as long as possible just like 1997
Don't reckon another leadership contest would do their prospects any good at all. There's only so many times they can rearrange the deckchairs. The country must be heartily sick of us acting like a banana republic shirley?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Given this is a free vote, with so many Tory MPs wavering on this Rwanda bill you wonder whether this terrible snub to our commitment to climate change might cause one MP - perhaps more - to change their mind and vote against Rishi.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I thought there was a mechanism to allow vote swapping or similar?

Certainly should be if not, or a way to vote without missing out on more important issues.
I thought Rishi said it would be a free vote and the MPs would not be whipped, therefore no pairing?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here