[Politics] Tory law breakers

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
If your hypothesis is correct, then surely the Tories wouldn't support a leader other than their own (whomever that would become) for the same reasons?

I was acting on the premise that Johnson may resign as PM, but not as leader of the Conservative Party. In this scenario he would become leader of the opposition until a GE.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
How many PM's are we going to go through this year? Boris will surely have to walk after this charade as his position is clearly untenable. Who will be next up to bat?

the problem is they've scraped through the bottom of the barrel and are knee deeep in the cess pit below. There is no opposition on a fathomable scale to with any more nous. . . . . the best we can hope for is a hung parliament with yellow green and load of deserters.

Labour and Conservative should be disbanded, theyre outdated, out of touch, unelectable we need a new way. Anarchy is starting to look appealing.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Maybe those pesky judges are Daily Mail readers, this from Richard Littlejohn last month...

Capture.JPG

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
An 'interesting' ruling by the supreme court after the lower courts ruled this was a political matter they unanimously decided to jump into the world of politics with both feet.

After the past month, I expect future governments that have a majority will make damn sure they get a speaker that's onside and bring in laws that more clearly set out what powers they can exercise and when. Hopefully, we won't end up like the US where supreme court judges are picked for their political bias ....

I haven't fully read up on this but didn't all 11 judges reason it was a justiciable (sp?) on the basis of precedent?

If so they didn't jump in at all, and the lower English and NI courts were incorrect (not the Scottish).

Also all 11 judges were unanimous, which seems unlikely if it was a decision based on political bias as you would not expect unanimous agreement on a political issue.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I was acting on the premise that Johnson may resign as PM, but not as leader of the Conservative Party. In this scenario he would become leader of the opposition until a GE.
Oh blimey, that's even worse.

there is absolutley no chance that the Labour Party would support any other candidate than their leader. If they did, they would be going into an election saying 'Vote for us. We have the leader who couldn't even be trusted as a caretaker.'
So the conservatives would be going into an election saying 'Vote for us. We have the leader who just resigned after ****ing it up.'

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Why? The highest court in the land has just declared the prorogation of parliament null and void, is that not an example of the system working?

You mean it doesn't work for you on this occasion. Its about curtaining the executive's abuse of power. How would you like it if JC got it and shut down parliament to disband the army?

I was referring to the charade of Johnson going to the queen as she had to agree with whatever he wanted. That's the bit that doesn't work. If we had a properly-elected Head of State with real constitutional powers he/she could have acted as a check to the obvious abuse of power by the PM and we wouldn't have even got to the stage of having to rely on unelected judges to make the right decision.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1176529750283755522[/tweet]

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I was referring to the charade of Johnson going to the queen as she had to agree with whatever he wanted. That's the bit that doesn't work. If we had a properly-elected Head of State with real constitutional powers he/she could have acted as a check to the obvious abuse of power by the PM and we wouldn't have even got to the stage of having to rely on unelected judges to make the right decision.

donald-trump-thumbsup-913x479.jpg

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
An 'interesting' ruling by the supreme court after the lower courts ruled this was a political matter they unanimously decided to jump into the world of politics with both feet.

After the past month, I expect future governments that have a majority will make damn sure they get a speaker that's onside and bring in laws that more clearly set out what powers they can exercise and when. Hopefully, we won't end up like the US where supreme court judges are picked for their political bias ....

Or maybe the electorate should just vote for people who aren't c*nts?

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Quite funny watching the mental gymnastics of the leave brigade trying to tell us that something which, according to them, didn’t have anything to do with brexit being ruled unlawful somehow means that it has everything to do with brexit.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

Not sure I follow your logic here. Future governments with a majority would be able to pass legislation through the House of Commons, the same way they have for hundreds of years. Where is the political bias here? Its as if you can't tell the difference between Boris Johnson and Brexit?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Or maybe the electorate should just vote for people who aren't c*nts?

If only it were that simple. Trouble is the system is broken too. I can vote for several nice people where I live who haven't got a cat in hells chance. There is a prominent **** of an mp who amazingly, hasn't been dislodged. Yet

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
“We don’t have a written constitution uNlike most modern democracies. Instead we rely on hundreds of years of law and convention which can be hard to interpret” ....:ffsparr: You said it! This country really does need to sort itself out. House of Lords, Monarchs and PMs that have no power, Parties that are fundamentally split, a broken first past post system...no wonder Brexit can’t be passed! It’s a complete and utter bloody shambles as one Lord would say.

Let’s just have a bloody civil war and be done with it. Loser keeps Scotland...

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
If only it were that simple. Trouble is the system is broken too. I can vote for several nice people where I live who haven't got a cat in hells chance. There is a prominent **** of an mp who amazingly, hasn't been dislodged. Yet

The system always seems to be broken, when the party of one's choice never gets elected, because you will always be in a minority. Are you consistent enough to recognise and appreciate that this can happen everywhere or just cross, because you can't have it your way?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The system always seems to be broken, when the party of one's choice never gets elected, because you will always be in a minority. Are you consistent enough to recognise and appreciate that this can happen everywhere or just cross, because you can't have it your way?

Proportional representation is a fairer system where every vote counts.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
So - you have a bunch old dinosaur Tories members voting an idiot like Johnson in as PM.

You have a bunch of dinosaur left wingers supporting a Marxist whose policies will bring the country to its knees.

Neither of these two are representative of the country at large. We may be a proud democracy, but it isn’t working at the moment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports