Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory law breakers

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
As I have said before, Boris, JRM et al are nowhere near as smart as they think they are. This is a joy to watch.

They are showing their true colours, which are not nice

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Moggy? Do you mean the patriotic, toffee-nosed Edwardian with a plum in his mouth who lied to the monarch?

Who is feeling guilty and aroused at the same time regarding his naughtiness.

I'm not sure you can put future bets on a tabloid splash regarding Brexit, a snooker ball and ladies stockings but if I could I would.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So - you have a bunch old dinosaur Tories members voting an idiot like Johnson in as PM.

You have a bunch of dinosaur left wingers supporting a Marxist whose policies will bring the country to its knees.

Neither of these two are representative of the country at large. We may be a proud democracy, but it isn’t working at the moment.
It's just shocking that neither party can see that they'd easily command a majority with any half decent leader.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Thanks for that. I presume you thus advocate PR, and this might be a solution. I say "might" but for all the supposed fairness, would we be necessarily any better off. Afterall they are committed politicos and would they be any more prepared to compromise than now?

I don't know if PR is the answer or a more devolved system of government with far more regional decision making down to county level so votes are more meaningful and we can tangibly make a difference to the direction of our lives and communities with our vote, or both. Take Lewes District, where more people didn't want a Tory council than wanted one but had to put up with awful Tory control until politicians of different persuasions got together and formed a coalition to seize control. That shouldn't take a coalition though, representation of views should be by default...and now those misguided people who voted Tory feel totally unrepresented and as if something unfair has happened. So as before, we don't have a representative democracy for as long as we have FPTP elections.

Either way Westminster politics feels utterly disengaged from reality for me and I'm politically interested, have met leading politicians regularly through various things I'm involved with and only live 60 miles from London, and literally walk past Parliament a few times a week. The "Westminster bubble" is real and as Boris Johnson found out from his hecklers recently there's a groundswell of people who think it ineffective at anything that matters. That can't be sustained and do the country any good.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
As I have said before, Boris, JRM et al are nowhere near as smart as they think they are. This is a joy to watch.

To be fair to them, they have been told since birth that are destined to rule, and their superiority has been reinforced by gaining high grades, entering the best educational institutions, and been given a free pass by most parts of our 'free' press.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
donald-trump-thumbsup-913x479.jpg

Quite. The US system has a series of checks and balances - and a written constitution. It's not some fudged and bodged feudal relic from the Middle Ages.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Really funny seeing the front pages of the papers this morning. Supreme Court Judges denying Brexit, etc. Wasn’t theGovernments stated reason for shutting Parliament , nothing to do with Brexit? They are really caught in a cleft stick, it’s either agree with their Government, that it was all about time to prepare the Queens Speech, absolutely nothing to do with Brexit,or elite Judges denying the will of the people by trying to stop Brexit.

Sorry, you can’t have it both ways, it’s unlawful.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
But would still easily win an election and Corbyn knows it.

Would he? He's managed to lose basically everything so far.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Quite. The US system has a series of checks and balances - and a written constitution. It's not some fudged and bodged feudal relic from the Middle Ages.
I prefer our system thanks.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Really funny seeing the front pages of the papers this morning. Supreme Court Judges denying Brexit, etc. Wasn’t theGovernments stated reason for shutting Parliament , nothing to do with Brexit? They are really caught in a cleft stick, it’s either agree with their Government, that it was all about time to prepare the Queens Speech, absolutely nothing to do with Brexit,or elite Judges denying the will of the people by trying to stop Brexit.

Sorry, you can’t have it both ways, it’s unlawful.

All largely irrelevant though. The posters on this thread - even the likes of PPF - are way more informed of what is going on that the Daily mail readership. If the Daily Mail front page screams "Boris rages: Who is running the country?" then to them, that is today's reality - look how angry Boris is - look at what that clever posh chap JRM has said about a 'coup' - they neither know nor care about Johnson's lies over the reasons for closing Parliament. They just know that these 'so called' judges and that uppity colonial woman are seeking to stop the WILL OF THE PEOPLE.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I prefer our system thanks.
Not sure where you get that smug certainty from to be frank.

They are both broken and honestly I don't think much of either of them. In the US, you can't campaign unless you are a billionaire, but at least they have a 2 term restriction. I think that's a good thing, unless we honestly believe there isn't a single other person out of 350,000,000 capable of running the country.

What's so great about our system? We have an upper chamber that is partially made up of people who inherit their position, and we have FPTP which is utterly broken serving just two (3 if you include the SNP) parties, as evidenced by the two biggest parties being taken over by extremists leaving a large rump of the population disenfranchised. In fact it's worse than that - your vote doesn't matter except in a handful of swing seats.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
There is one Tory who has told the truth. I suppose it suits his purpose at the moment.

[tweet]1176737523323871232[/tweet]

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
There is one Tory who has told the truth. I suppose it suits his purpose at the moment.

[tweet]1176737523323871232[/tweet]

He told the truth during the leadership contest, it got him no where.

Meanwhile the Tories are still chasing their Unicorns and trying to destroy everything or anything that stops the "no mandate" no deal Brexit occurring.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
He told the truth during the leadership contest, it got him no where.

Meanwhile the Tories are still chasing their Unicorns and trying to destroy everything or anything that stops the "no mandate" no deal Brexit occurring.
It isn't "The Tories". Rory Stewart is a Tory, Ken Clarke is a Tory, John Bercow is a Tory, and arguably the greatest unsung hero of all of them, Oliver Letwin, is a Tory.

It is the ERG and their front bench puppets who have all sold out their principles in exchange for career progression who are entirely to blame. Please don't blame an entire party.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
It isn't "The Tories". Rory Stewart is a Tory, Ken Clarke is a Tory, John Bercow is a Tory, and arguably the greatest unsung hero of all of them, Oliver Letwin, is a Tory.

It is the ERG and their front bench puppets who have all sold out their principles in exchange for career progression who are entirely to blame. Please don't blame an entire party.

You are right. But Stewart. Clark etc are all kicked out of the party.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here