Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Top Bands who never had a hit song

Peppermint Tea

Aug 31, 2007
Anything that makes the Guinness Book Of Hit Singles, I would suggest is more accurate and more widely accepted.
So, if you go off that as the metric, that is every single that’s ever charted, because that’s what that book covers. That rather renders this thread pointless.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
This has been a really fun thread so far - let's not turn it into an argument! Yes, maybe the OP should have specified what constitutes a 'hit' - earlier I suggested maybe top 20 - but it really doesn't matter. Top 40, or Guinness Book of Records - who cares? :shrug:

It's strange how many bands that concentrated on LPs had unrepresentative hits with something (almost) completely different to their usual. Steeleye Span with 'All Around my Hat', for example, Fairport Convention with 'Si Tu Dois Partir' - even fairly heavy Marillion with a soft ballad like 'Kayleigh'. Jeff Beck, a VERY serious musician, had a one hit wonder (which he hated) with Hi Ho Silver Lining.
If Bowie hadn't invented Ziggi Stardust, and gone on to world-wide singles success, his career might have been defined by The Laughing Gnome!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The Rezillos
The Cramps
Big Black
Ah The Rezillos - remember Eugene Reynolds (then called Alan IIRQ) drumming for our band before they got going. I say 'our' band - but really it was a VERY flexible line up, so maybe 'our' is pushing it a bit - I think only two of us (not including Alan) continued in the band for any length of time!
We thought we had a better plan for success at the time. Hey ho - got that wrong! Rezillos got it right - respect, good band.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
For me, that would be Terry Reid (had a few of his songs covered by The Raconteurs, Rumer, Chris Cornell) but most people have never heard of him. I've been lucky to have seen him play live numerous times, in his later years. Certainly a character. (Chris Robinson obviously influenced by him).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Whilst AC/DC had multi platinum albums including one of the biggest selling albums of all time in Back in Black, they never had a UK top 10 hit until a Christmas campaign in 2012 took Highway to Hell to number 4. This was many years after their commercial peak and remains their only top 10 hit.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Anything that makes the Guinness Book Of Hit Singles, I would suggest is more accurate and more widely accepted.
I disagree. A song's popularity is not defined by its chart sales.

2 examples: we will rock you by queen. An iconic global song where anyone could name within a few seconds of the intro. But it was a B side. Same reason: We are family by Sister Sledge

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sorry but way to vague a question. What defines a ' Top Band ' as purely subjective and what's a hit?

Led Zeppelin have sold in excess of 300 million records and Whole Lotta Love only made it to no. 21 in UK charts
Led Zep was my first shout. I would imagine that Yes never had a hit single either.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
OK, so,
The Chameleons
Wishbone Ash
The Legendary Pink Dots
Porcupine Tree

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm not sure I would count LED Z, stairway is a classic and considered one of, if not, the greatest rock track of all time. Whether it was released as a single is not the barometer of hit song imo
Not having that.

It allows me to claim that if I think it is brilliant then it is a hit. This is one of the finest tracks of all time. But it wasn't a hit.

You have to stick with conventions. A. Hit. Single.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I disagree. A song's popularity is not defined by its chart sales.

2 examples: we will rock you by queen. An iconic global song where anyone could name within a few seconds of the intro. But it was a B side. Same reason: We are family by Sister Sledge
Technically We Will Rock You was a b-side when it was originally released but to all intents and purposes it was a double-a. Radio stations would often play both sides back-2-back and it even had its own music video.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here