Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Top 4?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Top four possibly optimistic, but I've just had a go at a starting 11, assuming Caicedo goes, and I've ended up leaving out Enciso, Lallana, Gross, Adingra, Undav, Milner, Welbeck, Verbruggen, Buonanotte, and on and on. The squad strength this season is just staggering. We're well equipped to handle the Sunday/Thursday treadmill. Cannot wait.

In anywhere other than Defence, which is new for us. A few injuries and we'll be playing like we did last night and will concede a lot.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not a chance imo :shrug:

Gonna be fun though with a few depressing thumpings thrown in. The PL now know how we play and some will make us come unstuck. In Europe however we could be dynamite. Top 8 will do for me in the PL

It won’t happen but I think RDZ needs a plan B once it becomes clear that a team has us sussed on the day

HangletonGull

Apr 10, 2023
I’m saying it now been convinced since the season ended we will be top 4 this season feel free to bump this but I’ve linked in at 6/1

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
As @Easy 10 has said Spurs, Chelsea and Liverpool won't be as bad as they were. For Chelsea it would almost be impossible. Liverpool will be right up there- if they sign Lavia that new midfield is crazy and they have the best front line (in terms of depth) possibly in world football. Villa have made the best signings this summer for my money. Arsenal look MUCH stronger.
United will be much better with Onana and Mount.
The only ones you could possibly see struggle are a Kaneless Spurs.
As it stands we undoubtedly look chaotic at the back, and did at times at the end of last season, when that happens Steele looks much more vulnerable and it does look like teams could blow us away in those spells. Feels like a lot is resting on Igor who seems to define chaos in all the videos I've seen. I would feel a lot more confident if we had another cool head at the back, bit of pace.
I'd be delighted with top ten if there feels like progress overall and we show up well in all the cups. But the drain of the schedule shouldn't be underestimated. On a huge positive, the forward line looks like being one of, if not the most, exciting in the league. And we have RDZ who is a genius.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Something I have noticed in the two friendlies is we have spent way less time fannying about at the back, and the ball is hoofed much sooner to nippy attackers. That was especially the case last night.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I think we are in the top 8 mix for sure. The rest will come down to small margins. If we ever keep a clean sheet I expect us to win the game, I see us scoring pretty much every match now. The real question is can the defence step up to aid the attack.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
I think Spurs have every chance of being rubbish again. Chelsea will be better organised but I’m not sure a threat. Man City, Arsenal, Newcastle seem solid for a run at the top three, Liverpool, Man Utd for fourth.
Losing Caicedo would be a huge blow to us, however gaining Pedro and Adingra fills me with optimism.
Top six again.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
No chance of top 4 IMO. I think Newcastle gatecrashing the party last year will prove to be a one off and it will be the tradition big 6 who make up the champions league places.

I think the race for 5th and 6th will be hugely competitive and it will be too much for us, villa and newcastle to make it.

7th to 12th place for us and a final appearance in one of the cups and I will be over the moon

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Defence will always concede “excess” goals - it goes with the style of play.

I will be very happy to make top ten. Europe is a distraction from the league - an enjoyable one but I suspect at a cost

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
I think will be a tougher league this year than last. Chelsea don’t have Europe so will improve slightly. Villa will be around us both. Liverpool will shift ahead.

The biggest thing though will be although we’ll be a little better, we’ll have Euro distraction. I think 7th/8th and doing well in at least 2 of the 3 cups. Another good season and even stronger base to continue improving. If we get CL it’s more likely we won the Euro Cup than we got top 4

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I think we are about to get even better than we were last season.

While we were all in raptures over Ferguson and Mitoma last season, was the chance on anyone's radar, that another pair might replace them in the starting eleven in our first league game? Pedro and Adingra have made that a possibility.

'I think we are building a very strong team with many players in every position of the pitch.' - RDZ after last night's game.

Kanban - the Japanese art of continuous improvement.

el punal

I’m watching this squad, and with De Zerbi in charge, thinking we really should be challenging for the top 4 and a trophy this season shouldn’t we?!

I don’t think it’s hyperbole, we weren’t far away last season and with the additions of the really impressive JP, Adingra and Dahoud (plus hopefully Igor fits in well) as well as the massive progress of Gilmour, I honestly believe we’ve got every chance with or without Caicedo. JP alone looks like he could take us to another level and we now have real strength in depth.

I genuinely don’t think Arsenal, Liverpool, United or Newcastle are really any better than us and certainly not Chelsea or Spurs.

It’s so exciting.
Yes, it is exciting. I’m not sure about top four though. Last season was phenomenal helped by the fact that of the the so called top six teams Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool and Man Utd were well below their perceived best. All of them will have addressed that issue and strengthened accordingly. Then so have we. I suppose it’s a question of how quickly we can adapt to the rigours of European competition and the expectation of being a Premier League force to be reckoned with. A watershed moment for all concerned with our wonderful club.

Sod it, we’ll end up as champions! :drink:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We've got 3 weeks of saying:-

"Top 4?" and for it to be a genuine conversation piece (irrespective of its validity)

7 days saying:-

"Play like that and it's certain relegation".

Then a seriously long 8 months pontificating over every single result with:-

"If x beats y, we should still make Top 10".

It seems rude not to live the dream, when the dream is so short.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I can’t believe that the bigger clubs won’t rumble our play better this coming season and make it more difficult for us. I think we’ll get a good run in Europe but I’ll be happy to qualify for Europe again this season.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Aiming for it and achieving it are very different. I can see us finishing top half but maybe a little off last season due to Europe.
The extra squad depth can only be a good thing but losing Mac and Caicedo in the same window certainly wouldn't be ideal. Hoping Moises stays but I think we'll cope either way.
Very excited to see what the new additions can bring, Pedro, Adingra and Dahoud all look amazing.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
I think we have improved, but I also think Villa will be better than last season. The jury is out on Chelsea and Spurs or if West Ham can make the top 10. It's going to be competitive.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I can’t believe that the bigger clubs won’t rumble our play better this coming season and make it more difficult for us. I think we’ll get a good run in Europe but I’ll be happy to qualify for Europe again this season.
I can't believe you think RDZ is going to sit on the laurels of last season's style of play.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here