Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Top 4?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I thought we were terrible last night, and on balance really ought to have lost that game. How anyone can watch that, then jump on here to suggest top four is mind boggling.

8-10th would be a realistic target - and most sensible Albion fans will be more than satisfied if that is where we end up.

Last edited:

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I thought we were terrible last night, and on balance really ought to have lost that game. How anyone can watch that, the. Jump on here to suggest top four is mind boggling.

8-10th would be a realistic target - and most sensible Albion fans will be more than satisfied if that is where we end up.
I’m not basing it on that, I’m not stupid enough to make a prediction based on a pre season friendly. Our 2nd pre season friendly. You’re right, we weren’t great - I wouldn’t expect us to be in our second game and so many changes plus Steele was excellent and ultimately won us the game.

I’m basing it on the fact that we just missed out last year, have bolstered and improved the overall squad which ultimately cost us last season and we’ve added three first team starters of genuine top quality. I look at the teams who will be expected to be up there and I genuinely don’t think they’re far ahead of us at all. Plus we have De Zerbi.

Europe is the question mark but other teams in the past have managed to have successful seasons playing Thursday too so why not us.

I’m not at all saying I wouldn’t be satisfied if we did finish 8 - 10 but I do think top 4 should be a target for this talented team, especially if we keep Caicedo, and I’m sure RDZ thinks it is too.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I wouldn't say our defence worries me but we conceded four times against Chelsea and a better side than Brentford might have done the same last night.

And I'm not saying we definitely will miss our Argentinian who ran the world cup final for an hour and couldn't miss from the penalty spot, but I think it's fair to say there's a chance that might be the case.

Top four is nonsense. Put me down for top half and a deep run in Europe, I'd be happy with that. We don't win trophies ever, so let's put an end to that wish. We couldn't even win the Championship title with three games to do it.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
If you can't be wildly optimistic in pre-season when can you be? We have a huge amount to be positive about so I say embrace it and dream big.

My sensible head says that while top four is perhaps a step too far we absolutely should be aiming for a cup. The only side in England that I think we have no chance against if they are at their best is Man City. Everyone else we are the equal or better of in a one off game so lets go all out for a trophy.

Pre-season has been great so far. Joao Pedro looks a hell of a player, Gilmour looks like he's continuing his form from the end of last season, Adingra looks like he's going to be a genuine option, no one's gone backwards and all the U21s that have played have done a good job. Lots of positives.

My only concern based off of the two friendlies is how easily Chelsea and Brentford were able to play through us. I'm aware that the team will probably never play a match with the configuration of players we had on the pitch at any moment in either game but it does raise a small alarm for me.

But that is enough negative nancy-ing from me, I'm going back into pre-season excitment mode:

We're f***ing amazing and we're going to smash our way through the league and Europe.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I highly doubt it - Man City, Arsenal are there. Probably Newcastle, Chelsea have looked a lot better. Liverpool could be. Outsiders - Villa have made some good signings and have a good manager.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
If we lose Caicedo, not a chance of being consistent enough for top 4. If he stays, never say never. But top 4 AND a trophy? That's got to be pushing it. The turnover of games for the Europa League probably means that in reality we'll do well to finish in the top half. Win the Europa League or FA Cup and stay in the Premier League comfortably would do me fine.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Big hello to all the Palace fans who’ve bookmarked this thread to comeback to when we’re relegated in May

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Head says that a top ten finish and a deep run in Europe, along with one of the domestic Cup competitions is more realistic.

Although I share your optimism about the signings and what should be an incredibly exciting season.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Nowhere near with Europe as well. I'd bite your hand off for top 10 and a trophy.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I’m not basing it on that, I’m not stupid enough to make a prediction based on a pre season friendly. Our 2nd pre season friendly. You’re right, we weren’t great - I wouldn’t expect us to be in our second game and so many changes plus Steele was excellent and ultimately won us the game.

I’m basing it on the fact that we just missed out last year, have bolstered and improved the overall squad which ultimately cost us last season and we’ve added three first team starters of genuine top quality. I look at the teams who will be expected to be up there and I genuinely don’t think they’re far ahead of us at all. Plus we have De Zerbi.

Europe is the question mark but other teams in the past have managed to have successful seasons playing Thursday too so why not us.

I’m not at all saying I wouldn’t be satisfied if we did finish 8 - 10 but I do think top 4 should be a target for this talented team, especially if we keep Caicedo, and I’m sure RDZ thinks it is too.
That'll do.

City will probably stop us winning the whole thing by Easter, but other than that why the hell not?

All the other usual candidates have flaws, and that before any self induced implosions - looking at you now North London.

Our flaw may well be the defence, so sortoutable, and beating a stubborn low block, need some work done there.

Looking around the other 'big' sides I'd imagine they'd take our issues in a heartbeat.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Reasons for top 4:
Squad of mainly young players who should only get better (Ferguson, Enciso and many more)
First full season with RDZ. First preseason with RDZ
Returning loan players and new signings will bolster squad
Reasons against:
Lost Mac Allister
Might lose Caicedo (hopefully not)
Long Thursday night trips (let’s hope for a kind draw travel wise)

Verdict: I don’t know!

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
To add to my post:

Competition:
Man City will finish above us
Arsenal will probably finish above us but Champions League could take a toll
Man Utd strange team - not sure how’ll they’ll do
Newcastle - let’s hope Champions League takes its toll
Villa - dark horse for top 4? I don’t know enough about them
Chelsea- will do better than last season (won’t they?) and with no Europe could be a real threat.
Spurs - Let’s hope Kane leaves

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
I think we genuinely could be challenging for Top 4, but I'll also take a trophy.
However as Caicedo is such an important player for us, I think his inclusion will greatly help us reach that target.
Many on here saying Top 10 would be satisfactory, and I would've said the same before this preseason.
But after these two games, some amazing new players, a stronger squad, I cannot deny your optimism because I'm starting to feel the same.
And maybe Brighton can prove the majority wrong again? Exciting times...

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
Our defence last night was lucky not to let in a goal or two, if Toney was playing it might well have been different.

My prediction? Well I hope we come first and stop citeh for once.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
To add to my post:

Competition:
Man City will finish above us
Arsenal will probably finish above us but Champions League could take a toll
Man Utd strange team - not sure how’ll they’ll do
Newcastle - let’s hope Champions League takes its toll
Villa - dark horse for top 4? I don’t know enough about them
Chelsea- will do better than last season (won’t they?) and with no Europe could be a real threat.
Spurs - Let’s hope Kane leaves
Yep very hard to say the moment.

Btw you've missed off liverpool. Their first game of the season Vs Chelsea gonna be really interesting.

Man u seem about as strong as last season. Which is probably stronger than us.

Newcastle don't have enough strength in depth and they've bought 2 players that underperformed last season in Barnes and Gordon (more expensive version of our transfer strategy). They won't do as well as last season but they're probably better than us.

Villa have bought very well. I'm glad. They have Europe as well.

Spurs seem more settled but too early to say. Madison great signing.

I think top 8 is realistic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here