Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Top 4 fixtures today and tomorrow

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Mick McCarthy has now joined the growing list of managers and pundits who see Boro and Derby as nailed-on for the automatic places. Based on the past couple of months and the current squads, it's a compelling case. You only need look at the goal difference column to see how much they have now pulled ahead, even if their points advantage is negligible. I can see one or the other pulling away and possible emulating Leicester in the ease in which they secure promotion. But the odds are against BOTH doing this, simply because of the variables, stated below:

1) No team can guarantee against injuries to key players (see Albion)

2) We have an upcoming transfer market. There will be some big winners among the top half clubs - and a few flops.

3) At least two clubs will start a season second-half surge. This happens every year when clubs throw caution to the wind and the lure of promotion gives them added impetus.

4) Like the rest, Boro and Derby have to play all the top teams - and each other.

5) I'd still like to retain some hope/sentiment Albion can clinch an automatic spot

6) The Championship has proved to be the most unpredictable when it comes to promotion/relegation in past seasons.

#5 is the most compelling :thumbsup:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I see Charlie Austin just came back to turn us over and is now injured again for a few weeks :smile:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think we must be able to ctach Derby and Boro before the last two games?

I did not realise that teams were playing today until I clicked on the BBC Sport site.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I see Charlie Austin just came back to turn us over and is now injured again for a few weeks :smile:

I noticed that. FFS. Talk about a one man team.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Not quite top 4 (yet) but Brentford are winning at Reading, & have scored a couple of great goals.

I wonder if our goalless draw there will look a better & better result as the season goes on.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Not quite top 4 (yet) but Brentford are winning at Reading, & have scored a couple of great goals.

I wonder if our goalless draw there will look a better & better result as the season goes on.

I don't think it looked a bad result anyway, they'd won their last 4 or 5 at home so with our depleted.squad, to get anything out of the game was decent

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Need Reading to pull one back for the draw......

Down to ten men now, doesn't seem terribly likely (their home record is pretty poor I think).

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Why are we playing tomorrow night and not this afternoon ? We would get a bumper crowd playing this afternoon instead of a crappy Tuesday nite were will be lucky to get 23000

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Why are we playing tomorrow night and not this afternoon ? We would get a bumper crowd playing this afternoon instead of a crappy Tuesday nite were will be lucky to get 23000

I'm happy, couldn't have gone today, working, but can make it tomorrow, dragging the GF along, so 23002 perhaps !!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Hull denied an equaliser at the death & lose at PNE. Excellent.

Dec 29, 2011
I really can't see us beating Ipswich tomorrow to be honest as we're not creating and don't look like scoring...Its a case of waiting til Jan to improve the squad and any points from now on will be a bonus.
This. We haven't looked threatening going forward in weeks. We're REALLY missing our injured players.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Boro one up in the first minute.

Not massively disappointed: Wednesday are a threat this season so I'd be quite happy to keep daylight between us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here