Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

**** Top 100 albums of 2013 ****

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
You do realise this love for the John Grant album, where virtually every song is about gay sex, is only going to reinforce certain stereotypes? :lolol:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
And on that note, here's Rough Trade Records top 100 of the year. http://www.roughtrade.com/aoty2013

I've got 21 of their top 100 and a lot of the omissions mentioned in this thread from the Resident list appear on the Rough Trade list. The number one album is an absolute cracker too. It will definitely be in my top 10 for sure.

I've got 21 from rough trade also and 18 from resident after buying a savages and Matthew E White last night.

I saw John grant in Brighton in may this year excellent set, which I remember coincided with the start of the Poyet mess.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I've got 21 from rough trade also and 18 from resident after buying a savages and Matthew E White last night.

I saw John grant in Brighton in may this year excellent set, which I remember coincided with the start of the Poyet mess.

What are you implying? How was he involved?

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
The Rough Trade top one hundred contains some interesting entries and some you would expect. As with resident though no mention of Machineries Of Joy by British Sea Power and its on Rough Trade! Oh- Germany have just scored!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have 13 of the Rough Trade list and 7 of Resident's. Think it's time I checked out John Grant!

Hi. You really should. Start with Queen of Denmark then move onto Pale Green Ghosts. Knowing your taste I really do not think you will be disappointed. He is an immense song writing talent and his voice is incredible. Saw him live earlier this year; wonderful.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Here you go folks, my top 10.

1) Reflektor – Arcade Fire.
2) RAM – Daft Punk.
3) Pale Green Ghosts – John Grant
4) Krieg Und Frieden (Music for Theatre) - Apparat
5) AM – Arctic Monkeys
6) AMOK – Atoms For Peace
7) Push The Sky Away- Nick Cave
8) Panorama Bar 05 – Steffi
9) In Technicolor – Coma
10) Floating Coffin – Thee Oh Sees

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Can I also just say, is this not a bit premature? Considering the year is not over yet.

The music year runs from mid-November to mid-November though.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Would go along with the comments that Bon Iver's For Emma is one of the albums of the decade, but his follow-up is dire. As for this year, I don't listen to enough music these days, but my top five are:
Melt Yourself Down
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
The Knife
Waxahatchee
Boards of Canada

Resident, Rough Trade and NSC have persuaded me to buy John Grant (who we saw last year at The Dome, and was highly impressive) and Matthew E White. Many on here bang on about Arcade Fire, should I really buy Reflektor?
In a feeble attempt to revive the thread, my top five gigs this year were:
Melt Yourself Down -- Komedia
Kraftwerk (Electricity) -- Tate Modern
F*** Buttons -- Concorde 2
Mark Lanegan -- St George's Church
Hookworms -- Brighton's best venue

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
INSANITY that Baths - Obsidian isn't in the top 100. In my top 5, comfortably. Not a big name, I suppose. Just a bedroom musician in the US.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Here you go folks, my top 10.

1) Reflektor – Arcade Fire.
2) RAM – Daft Punk.
3) Pale Green Ghosts – John Grant
4) Krieg Und Frieden (Music for Theatre) - Apparat
5) AM – Arctic Monkeys
6) AMOK – Atoms For Peace
7) Push The Sky Away- Nick Cave
8) Panorama Bar 05 – Steffi
9) In Technicolor – Coma
10) Floating Coffin – Thee Oh Sees

Three, possibly four, of those will be in mine. I'll look out some of the others.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The best album of the year is RAM for me but then again I have only brought 2 albums so my top 2 are

1. Daft Punk - Random Access Memories
2. The Pet Shop Boys - Electric

Many thanks.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Hello Pevenseagull, don't know if you know of Metz, who are playing next week. Saw them earlier this year at Audio, and think you might like them if you're free that night

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Hello Pevenseagull, don't know if you know of Metz, who are playing next week. Saw them earlier this year at Audio, and think you might like them if you're free that night

I saw Metz at Audio- they were brilliant. Would go and see them this time round but have tickets for Public Service Broadcasting that night.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
CorgiRegisteredFriend;60 44768 said:
I saw Metz at Audio- they were brilliant. Would go and see them this time round but have tickets for Public Service Broadcasting that night.

Thirded, they were excellent live. Really loud, nasty & punky but with some seriously good hooks

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here