Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

**** Top 100 albums of 2013 ****

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Just had a look to see if I recognise you from Julia Holter and discovered a few more of your radio shows including the first. Will have a listen to that later. When is the next one?

I have a slot on Sunday 3-4, though the last show was my last before the station moves so I'm not totally sure they'll be in situ for this week.

Just a warning about the earlier ones, the music selection I stand by but I think you'll be able to track the development from absolute novice to nearly competent. Once I'm a bit happier with my general performance I'm going to settle on a name for the show & set up a facebook for it and all that shizz.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I have a slot on Sunday 3-4, though the last show was my last before the station moves so I'm not totally sure they'll be in situ for this week.

Just a warning about the earlier ones, the music selection I stand by but I think you'll be able to track the development from absolute novice to nearly competent. Once I'm a bit happier with my general performance I'm going to settle on a name for the show & set up a facebook for it and all that shizz.

Well the end of year review was spot on with just the right balance between music and 'chat'. Very informative too and I now have a couple more bands to investigate so thanks.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Thoughts on first hour and a half:
Broadly, thanks for putting this out. It's very useful for me, as I don't actually listen to that much music on the radio -- although that may change now I have a portable digitial radio, and will join that demographic of 40+ Radio 6 listeners -- so have to rely on one particular friend's recommendations for going to gigs especially. So the local focus is extremely useful for folk like me.
Regarding your choice of top five gigs:
I only went to one of those, and 'twas F Buttons (as you politely refer to them).
Did you go to their gig in 2007/08 at Audio? You mentioned blowing the roof off the Concorde. As good as they were there, Audio worked much better, as it was a very low ceiling which helped with the claustrophobia effect.
Thanks also for playing Jubilee Street from Push the Sky Away. Surprised that this track didn't find its way on to the live album that Cave, etc released this year.
Was going to ask a few more questions based on the songs, but note that you've actually provided a play list, so I'm going to listen to this again, and will get back to you about a few of the bands that I don't know (much of) their material.
Thanks again.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Thoughts on first hour and a half:
Broadly, thanks for putting this out. It's very useful for me, as I don't actually listen to that much music on the radio -- although that may change now I have a portable digitial radio, and will join that demographic of 40+ Radio 6 listeners -- so have to rely on one particular friend's recommendations for going to gigs especially. So the local focus is extremely useful for folk like me.
Regarding your choice of top five gigs:
I only went to one of those, and 'twas F Buttons (as you politely refer to them).
Did you go to their gig in 2007/08 at Audio? You mentioned blowing the roof off the Concorde. As good as they were there, Audio worked much better, as it was a very low ceiling which helped with the claustrophobia effect.
Thanks also for playing Jubilee Street from Push the Sky Away. Surprised that this track didn't find its way on to the live album that Cave, etc released this year.
Was going to ask a few more questions based on the songs, but note that you've actually provided a play list, so I'm going to listen to this again, and will get back to you about a few of the bands that I don't know (much of) their material.
Thanks again.

I tragically missed that Audio gig and I have no idea why. I was into them at the time but didn't. Big regret, I can imagine they were unbelivable there.

Thank you so much for the feedback. It sounds like you would get quite a lot from the weekly show I do where I do roughly 25% forthcoming gigs, 25% local (ish) bands & 50% anything goes. Fingers crossed I'll be back on air this Sunday 3-4 (the station is currently changing premises so it may be the following week.)

Ask away, I'll be more than happy to help...

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury

May have to give some of these a listen. Like the tracklistings - anyone who gives airtime to Falling From Cloud 9 has to be given a pat on the back.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Lift to Experience = Dream Reformation. Sleater-Kinney just behind.

How do you fancy a LTE complete concert video? Thought you might!

Ladies and gentlemen, we are playing with one guitar. Can't see this video at work, but I love effects pedals - 1 x compressor, 2 x analogue delay, overdrive, 2 x distortion, 1 x chorus should get you that LTE sound. Well, it gets me close at home. Luckily I have no neighbours.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Ladies and gentlemen, we are playing with one guitar. Can't see this video at work, but I love effects pedals - 1 x compressor, 2 x analogue delay, overdrive, 2 x distortion, 1 x chorus should get you that LTE sound. Well, it gets me close at home. Luckily I have no neighbours.

Stop it - we are getting dangerously close to forming an NSC band here.... my dream guitarist plays like JTP.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
********** Big Nuts Top 20************

1. Matthew E White - Big Inner
2. The National - Trouble Will Find Me
3. Arcade Fire - Reflector
4. Julianna Barwick - Nepenthe
5. Daft Punk - RAM
6. Steve Mason - Monkey Minds in the Devils Time
7. John Murry - The Graceless Age
8. Jagwa Ma - Howlin
9. **** Buttons - Slow Focus
10. Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City
11. Arctic Monkeys - AM
12. QOTSA - Like Clockwork
13. David Bowie - Next Day
14. Bill Callahan - Dream River
15. Goldfrapp - Tales of Us
16. Foals - Holy Fire
17. Cut Copy - Free Your Mind
18. Volcano Choir - Repave
19. Nick Cave - Push The Sky Away
20. Yo La Tengo - Fade

I'm sure in three months time my mind will have changed as there have been so many superb albums and with the sheer volume of them (40 bought) I have struggled to listen to most more than three or four times each.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
John Murry was released in 2012 so should have left that out as I left Parquet Courts out for the same reason.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Not sure if it was released in 2013 but have enjoyed listening to Alone aboard the ark by the Leisure Society

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
********** Big Nuts Top 20************

1. Matthew E White - Big Inner
2. The National - Trouble Will Find Me
3. Arcade Fire - Reflector
4. Julianna Barwick - Nepenthe
5. Daft Punk - RAM
6. Steve Mason - Monkey Minds in the Devils Time
7. John Murry - The Graceless Age
8. Jagwa Ma - Howlin
9. **** Buttons - Slow Focus
10. Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City
11. Arctic Monkeys - AM
12. QOTSA - Like Clockwork
13. David Bowie - Next Day
14. Bill Callahan - Dream River
15. Goldfrapp - Tales of Us
16. Foals - Holy Fire
17. Cut Copy - Free Your Mind
18. Volcano Choir - Repave
19. Nick Cave - Push The Sky Away
20. Yo La Tengo - Fade

I'm sure in three months time my mind will have changed as there have been so many superb albums and with the sheer volume of them (40 bought) I have struggled to listen to most more than three or four times each.

I have 11 of them, and 5 of the top 6 - by far the most I've had of any of the top 20s I've seen. I might have to check out one or two of the others...

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I tragically missed that Audio gig and I have no idea why. I was into them at the time but didn't. Big regret, I can imagine they were unbelivable there.

Thank you so much for the feedback. It sounds like you would get quite a lot from the weekly show I do where I do roughly 25% forthcoming gigs, 25% local (ish) bands & 50% anything goes. Fingers crossed I'll be back on air this Sunday 3-4 (the station is currently changing premises so it may be the following week.)

Ask away, I'll be more than happy to help...

Right, I've had another listen, and again thanks. My general view that your selection has confirmed is that electronica is where it's at, at present. From that selection, and of the stuff that is new to me, I particularly liked Forest Swords, Theo Parrish, Teeth By the Sea, Dirty Peaches, OneOhTrix and Daniel Avery. Also think that MBV song is lovely. So, do you want to recommend any albums by that lot? Also you said that that latest Factory Floor album wasn't much cop, but that track is simply brilliant, so is there anything of theirs worth buying?
Also, is there anything else on the electronica front that you'd particularly recommend?
On the gig front, will give Traams a go, particularly if they pitch up at GDS, although that might be a bit big for them. Are there any electronica bands that are particularly good live? And, finally on gigs, did you see Josh T Pearson at the Freebutt? That was one of my favourite Brighton gigs.
Beyond that, will look out for your show (am aware of the lack of one yesterday).

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Right, I've had another listen, and again thanks. My general view that your selection has confirmed is that electronica is where it's at, at present. From that selection, and of the stuff that is new to me, I particularly liked Forest Swords, Theo Parrish, Teeth By the Sea, Dirty Peaches, OneOhTrix and Daniel Avery. Also think that MBV song is lovely. So, do you want to recommend any albums by that lot? Also you said that that latest Factory Floor album wasn't much cop, but that track is simply brilliant, so is there anything of theirs worth buying?
Also, is there anything else on the electronica front that you'd particularly recommend?
On the gig front, will give Traams a go, particularly if they pitch up at GDS, although that might be a bit big for them. Are there any electronica bands that are particularly good live? And, finally on gigs, did you see Josh T Pearson at the Freebutt? That was one of my favourite Brighton gigs.
Beyond that, will look out for your show (am aware of the lack of one yesterday).

Forest Swords plays Green Door Store on Feb 10th, I've been in love with him since his Dagger Paths EP of 2010 and a great live show at The Great Escape 2012. His album of last year Engravings is one of my favourites of the year for sure.

Theo Parrish has a monthly residency at Plastic Planet London at the moment. The album that track is from First Floor is a stone cold classic.

Teeth of The Sea are a London band, they've released 3 albums that are all excellent but the most recent 'Master' is the best of the bunch. I've caught them live 3 times (most recently at Sticky Mike's in November and they are bloomin brilliant up close and personal.)

Dirty Beaches has released tonnes of stuff either Badlands or last years double Drifters/Love Is the Devil are the most consitent and well recorded. Glad you like that one, he can be an aquired taste

Oneohtrix Point Never has released 2 outstanding albums in a row after a long period of being prolific but inconsistent - 2011's Replica (a top 5 of that year for me) & 2013's R Plus 7. One of the stars of the electronic music underground.

Daniel Avery is a redient DJ at Fabric signed to Errol Alkan's label. His Drone Logic album of last year is slightly inconsistent but brilliant in patches. As it goes that track I played isn't really one of my favourites but made the cut due to its length!

The Factory Floor record may well be a case of me having hopelessly over the top expectations, it's good but anyone that has seen them live or followed their earlier releases was a little disappointed I think, they've lost the Throbbing Gristle influence that made them unique. That track is an absolute BANGER though!

As for other elctronica Machinedrum & Actress are probably my highlights of this decade thus far.

I didn't catch that Josh T show. I'll whisper it, I didn't really get on with his solo album. The funny thing is I know I will one day, just not now.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Forest Swords plays Green Door Store on Feb 10th, I've been in love with him since his Dagger Paths EP of 2010 and a great live show at The Great Escape 2012. His album of last year Engravings is one of my favourites of the year for sure.

Theo Parrish has a monthly residency at Plastic Planet London at the moment. The album that track is from First Floor is a stone cold classic.

Teeth of The Sea are a London band, they've released 3 albums that are all excellent but the most recent 'Master' is the best of the bunch. I've caught them live 3 times (most recently at Sticky Mike's in November and they are bloomin brilliant up close and personal.)

Dirty Beaches has released tonnes of stuff either Badlands or last years double Drifters/Love Is the Devil are the most consitent and well recorded. Glad you like that one, he can be an aquired taste

Oneohtrix Point Never has released 2 outstanding albums in a row after a long period of being prolific but inconsistent - 2011's Replica (a top 5 of that year for me) & 2013's R Plus 7. One of the stars of the electronic music underground.

Daniel Avery is a redient DJ at Fabric signed to Errol Alkan's label. His Drone Logic album of last year is slightly inconsistent but brilliant in patches. As it goes that track I played isn't really one of my favourites but made the cut due to its length!

The Factory Floor record may well be a case of me having hopelessly over the top expectations, it's good but anyone that has seen them live or followed their earlier releases was a little disappointed I think, they've lost the Throbbing Gristle influence that made them unique. That track is an absolute BANGER though!

As for other elctronica Machinedrum & Actress are probably my highlights of this decade thus far.

I didn't catch that Josh T show. I'll whisper it, I didn't really get on with his solo album. The funny thing is I know I will one day, just not now.

Yeah you really need to get into the NSC Electro thread.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Thanks for the thorough response. Have printed it out, and will get down Resident. Might be there at GDS for Forest Swords. I wasn't wild about that Josh T album, but he was great live, it was just him and his acoustic, he has real presence.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here