Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

**** Top 100 albums of 2013 ****

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Uncle. Now I do sometimes disagree with you, but James Arthur. Even his parents didn't like him, with giving him that mane!

I was joking but I do like the guy and his voice. I may even buy his album.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Electric by the Pet Shop Boys is pretty good as well. And the lauded Reflector by Arcade Fire is nowhere to be seen.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Now I know resident like to be uber geeky, and the mainstream is anathema, but how The Arcade Fire and Arctic Monkeys albums are not worthy of a place in the top 100 is beyond me.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Now I know resident like to be uber geeky, and the mainstream is anathema, but how The Arcade Fire and Arctic Monkeys albums are not worthy of a place in the top 100 is beyond me.

The list is absolute **** I am afraid.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
The list is absolute **** I am afraid.

Well...there is a lot of good stuff in there, a lot that I think is crap, and a lot that I haven't heard. It's all subjective - just a little too train-spottingy, too much effort is being made to seem avant garde and eclectic - a bit like every year really. They need to chill out and stop trying so hard.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea

The cinic in me would say because they are guaranteed sellers. The list- hence its November publication- is there to promote in shop sales.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Released before the new Little Mix album came out clearly.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
The cinic in me would say because they are guaranteed sellers. The list- hence its November publication- is there to promote in shop sales.

A lot of truth in that. I still think that they have a bit of a "if it's popular then it's less valuable" attitude though.

But I still love the fact that we have this shop in Brighton. Now that Rounder is no more its importance can't be overstated.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Agree Public Service Broadcasting as album of the year. Also enjoying Wooden Shjips at the moment but I guess this misses out through late release date. Most over rated on Resident's list would be Savages for me - just don't get it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

matildaseagull

Aug 12, 2003
Good Old Sussex
Wow, I own 2!!!! By the way, does anyone have a spare Public Service Broadcasting ticket for 27th? Can't afford tout prices, but could go up to about £20.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I've bought 33 albums this year so far with sixteen being in the Resident top 100. They are never going to put a mainstream act as their number 1 or even in the top ten as it's about them shifting more records.

Like others I'll put a top ten together later in the year, but for me The National's album is my favourite so far this year, but it has been a tremendous 2014 with so many great albums.

Last edited:

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Matthew E White a very deserving number 1 for me. Absolutely adore it. Not everyone's cup of tea but I've listened to it endlessly this year.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Matthew E White a very deserving number 1 for me. Absolutely adore it. Not everyone's cup of tea but I've listened to it endlessly this year.

I've just this second bought it from Itunes £4.49 so I'll listen with interest. Bon Iver was the Resident number 1 about five years ago and on that basis I purchased it and thats one of my favourite albums of the past ten years.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I've just this second bought it from Itunes £4.49 so I'll listen with interest. Bon Iver was the Resident number 1 about five years ago and on that basis I purchased it and thats one of my favourite albums of the past ten years.

It's very soulful and also very spiritual. Been a tough year for me and said goodbye to my mum today after a long illness and listened to this loads in the past few weeks. If you like Bon Iver you'll love this. A truly beautiful album.

Last edited:

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Eight out of the 100 for me. Lots I've never heard of, and some just not my cup of tea. Get most of my new stuff via eMusic, but buy much more second hand vinyl, mostly Seventies rock, prog, folk, blues and punk/new wave. :guitar:

Anyone going to Sharon Shannon at the Ropetackle tomorrow night, by the way?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here