Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

**** Top 100 albums of 2013 ****

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
It's very soulful and also very spiritual. Been a tough year for me and said goodbye to my mum today after a long illness and listened to this loads in the past few weeks. If you like Bon Iver you'll love this. A truly beautiful album.

Sorry to hear this. My dad died last year, and it is still raw. Stay strong if you can.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
The site doesn't work properly on my phone.

Where is Eminem's Marshall Mathers LP2 in the list? And Paramore by Paramore?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Somewhere outside the top 100.

Both of them?

The chart is a joke then. I wonder how many of the 100 they have actually listened to? Seriously. These charts always strike my cynical side, it is a chart entirely compiled for the purpose of appearance and trying to seem "cool". To me, it is the opposite.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Both of them?

The chart is a joke then. I wonder how many of the 100 they have actually listened to? Seriously. These charts always strike my cynical side, it is a chart entirely compiled for the purpose of appearance and trying to seem "cool". To me, it is the opposite.

It's clearly not a joke. It reflects what the people who work in the shop listen to - and yes, I guarantee they would have listened to all 100 and many more besides. As others have said - if it's biased it's biased towards what they feel they can sell in the run-up to Christmas and therefore aimed at the type of customer who shops at Resident, so it's probably not you (absolutely no offence intended by that remark). Some years I've had as many as 20 or 30 of their top 100 and this year as low as 11. Rounder Records used to cater for a completely different market, a bit more pop and a lot more hip-hop/dance/house-oriented and their top 100 reflected their customer and staff preferences accordingly. I dare say HMV or Tescos will do a best albums of 2013 list too and every list will be different. It's really not worth getting upset about.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
And on that note, here's Rough Trade Records top 100 of the year. http://www.roughtrade.com/aoty2013

I've got 21 of their top 100 and a lot of the omissions mentioned in this thread from the Resident list appear on the Rough Trade list. The number one album is an absolute cracker too. It will definitely be in my top 10 for sure.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Both of them?

It's not a joke, it's just a list compiled by the handful of people who work in the shop; I do not think it claims to be anything more than this and it certainly is not.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And on that note, here's Rough Trade Records top 100 of the year. http://www.roughtrade.com/aoty2013

I've got 21 of their top 100 and a lot of the omissions mentioned in this thread from the Resident list appear on the Rough Trade list. The number one album is an absolute cracker too. It will definitely be in my top 10 for sure.

Wow, I have bought 4 of their top 5 and 15 in total from theirs. It seems I have a lot more in common with Rough Trade than Resident.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

That Dan Avery long player is great..was playing it a short while ago.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
The Tron soundtrack is the only thing I would come back to that they have done.

The Tron album is QUALITY, they must have made a fortune out of it given the number of times you hear a track on and advert or TV programme.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's very soulful and also very spiritual. Been a tough year for me and said goodbye to my mum today after a long illness and listened to this loads in the past few weeks. If you like Bon Iver you'll love this. A truly beautiful album.

Sorry to hear this fella. Condolensces from HT.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'd seriously recommend joining their music club then - same idea as Rounder Records and you get all the bonus CDs too.

You're right. Their top 100 has convinced me, especially that top 5. Thanks for the tip.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I am in disagreement with Resident

10 records from this year that I prefer to The Nick Cave album (which I rather like)

Guided By Voices and Robert Pollard's solo LP
Mark Kozelek's 3 Lps
My Bloody Valentine
Steve Mason
Jason Isbell
Julia Holter
Johnathan Wilson

none even in their top 100? I don't think so. They are wrong.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'd seriously recommend joining their music club then - same idea as Rounder Records and you get all the bonus CDs too.

One question. Is the packing they use good quality? I used to buy stuff from Resident but about half the packages I received has been squashed or cracked/broken in transit.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
One question. Is the packing they use good quality? I used to buy stuff from Resident but about half the packages I received has been squashed or cracked/broken in transit.

No idea, sorry. I get sent their list and I visit the shop every other week or so and buy their recommendation and random other CDs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here