Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tony Millard

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
RIP, he was a regular at the Amex too, pretty sure I saw him before the Derby game.

You did. He was in his ' specially commissioned ' seat toward the back of the press box and as close to the halfway line as possible. He always tried to be at the Amex unless Sky commitments took him elsewhere.
He was a consummate professional and an extremely capable broadcaster. Whether it was football, cricket, speedway or any other sport. He leaves a massive hole in the Sussex Cricket League. He helped found the league in 1971, played in it for years and was latterly, a leading umpire. He was, quite simply, the driving force behind it. He was a massive supporter of Brighton Brunswick CC and heavily involved right up to present.
He was Mr. Sussex sport. Known throughout the County. He was as adept at the written word as the spoken word.
I knew Tony for over 40 years and only recently ( within the last two weeks ) I spent some time in his company, reminiscing about all things football and cricket. He was in sparkling form and talking about plans for the future.
Tony will be sorely missed. He was a doer. Even though he was always busy, if you asked him a favour, he would do it for you. A superb organiser, a driven man, who did things the right way. An excellent MC and no mean after-dinner speaker.
I have been left in a bit of a daze by todays news. It was so unexpected. All who knew him well expected him to go on for ever.( We know it comes to all of us but he had that long-term solidity about him )
I will raise a glass to him tonight and tomorrow I will look across to his seat in the press box. I know he won't be there but I will imagine him there. As he was at the Goldstone, at Gillingham and at the Withdean. As mentioned before, he joins Jack Arlidge and John Vinnicombe in that little select club of men that we have grown up with. Men that we have relied on for news. Men that were a special part of our lives because they shared our love of sport and BHA in particular.
Thanks for the memories Tony.
RIP.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
Hereford "highlights" with Tony's commentary. There is a man with a real emotional connection to his subject.

[video=vimeo;23283912]http://vimeo.com/23283912[/video]

STAND UP, for the Seagull Line!

RIP, Tony Millard.

Commentator.
Fan.
LEGEND.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
He also had very big links with the Eastbourne Eagles speedway team, and was one of the voices on the PA at Arlington when I first went to speedway.

The youtube clip that I've put on this post was one of my favourite speedway commentrys of all time, especially as it was an Eastbourne rider that won the British Speedway GP. :)

I'm sure he'll be commentating wherever he is. RIP Tony

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Agree, along with Stavros on the football specials.

RIP

As someone who was fortunate enough to enjoy the Glory Years of the mid/late 70s Tony Millard was very much the voice of the Albion, and Stavos the face of the Seagull Special train on match day, with John Vinicombe's match report on a Monday.

With no Internet, the Seagull line was a lifeline, although I do recall spending a small fortune on it!

RIP Tony.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Not seen anything official, but various sources on Twitter (one connected with SkySports) are saying Tony Millard has passed away.

The voice of the Seagull Line, for those of us vintage enough to have frittered away many multiples of 35p per minute on it.
That seagull line cost my parents a bloody fortune.
Sad news indeed. His voice was instantly recognisable whether on the radio or the public address at the Goldstone.
After the Albion beat Liverpool at Anfield 83 Radio Brighton produced a cassette recording of the game. Tonys' description of the Albion opening goal was fantastic and i can remember it word for word.
RIP Tony Millard.

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham/LA
Very sad news! A true Albion legend... used to spend a fortune on the Albion line, and i've just sat here in the coffee shop i'm in and watched a bunch of youtube videos that someone cut his commentary too. Definitely brings a tear to the eye hearing his Hereford commentary again...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwCzfZ7g0ZQ&list=UULuMDvOwG6JZ8TEBxj6jDbA&index=36

I know people posted links, but some great videos cut to his commentary there...

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Very sad news! A true Albion legend... used to spend a fortune on the Albion line, and i've just sat here in the coffee shop i'm in and watched a bunch of youtube videos that someone cut his commentary too. Definitely brings a tear to the eye hearing his Hereford commentary again...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwCzfZ7g0ZQ&list=UULuMDvOwG6JZ8TEBxj6jDbA&index=36

I know people posted links, but some great videos cut to his commentary there...

I really wish we could have that clip, with Tony's superb commentary, at the game tomorrow.

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton

'The crowds gone mad, we've gone mad !'

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
RIP Tony.

I doubt they'll ever bring back the Seagull Line now.

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North
So shocked to hear of the untimely passing of Tony Millard. He really was the voice of Sussex sport. Hard to imagine now just how important the Seagull Line was in an age when it was the only way of finding out Albion news. I loved how sometimes the new recording didn't quite erase over the previous recording so you had to listen to all sorts before you gained a snippet of news. And some of his commentaries are just legendary. It would be really fitting if there could be a medley of some of them at the Amex as a tribute tomorrow.

RIP Tony.

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
Hereford "highlights" with Tony's commentary. There is a man with a real emotional connection to his subject.

[video=vimeo;23283912]http://vimeo.com/23283912[/video]

1.26 sec, true passion with his commentary, sitting here with tears watching this

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Minute silence rather than applause in my opinion, will mean a lot more. Shocking news, and another really significant loss.

Henfield One

Aug 5, 2003
Sad news - Tony Millard was for many the voice of Sussex sport. A big shock. Tony had a colourful past and was very occasionally cynical about our campaigning, but we respected each other and he was Sussex/Albion through & through.

A great communicator and his words are already a part of Albion folklore, thanks for everything Tony - rest in peace.

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
You did. He was in his ' specially commissioned ' seat toward the back of the press box and as close to the halfway line as possible. He always tried to be at the Amex unless Sky commitments took him elsewhere.
He was a consummate professional and an extremely capable broadcaster. Whether it was football, cricket, speedway or any other sport. He leaves a massive hole in the Sussex Cricket League. He helped found the league in 1971, played in it for years and was latterly, a leading umpire. He was, quite simply, the driving force behind it. He was a massive supporter of Brighton Brunswick CC and heavily involved right up to present.
He was Mr. Sussex sport. Known throughout the County. He was as adept at the written word as the spoken word.
I knew Tony for over 40 years and only recently ( within the last two weeks ) I spent some time in his company, reminiscing about all things football and cricket. He was in sparkling form and talking about plans for the future.
Tony will be sorely missed. He was a doer. Even though he was always busy, if you asked him a favour, he would do it for you. A superb organiser, a driven man, who did things the right way. An excellent MC and no mean after-dinner speaker.
I have been left in a bit of a daze by todays news. It was so unexpected. All who knew him well expected him to go on for ever.( We know it comes to all of us but he had that long-term solidity about him )
I will raise a glass to him tonight and tomorrow I will look across to his seat in the press box. I know he won't be there but I will imagine him there. As he was at the Goldstone, at Gillingham and at the Withdean. As mentioned before, he joins Jack Arlidge and John Vinnicombe in that little select club of men that we have grown up with. Men that we have relied on for news. Men that were a special part of our lives because they shared our love of sport and BHA in particular.
Thanks for the memories Tony.
RIP.

Great obituary, Mo.
Although from different sides of the 'track', we've lost two Albion stalwarts in the last month.

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
RIP Tony Millard.
He was voice of the Albion for me as a child. Had a job interview at his Sports Promotion Company in Landsdown Place he ran with Danny Bloor. Had no luck with the job but was great to meet for sure a true professional journalist.
A minutes silence tommorrow and place on the Legends wall would be a fitting tribute.

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
RIP Tony Millard. I can still hear his voice now wafting across Hove Park from the Goldstone on the walk with my Dad to the game in the late 70s.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here