Tony Millard

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
A real shame. He made the most mundane thing sound interesting.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Sad news.

I'm sure it was reported in Gulls Eye that Tone had commentated on a minutes silence before the FA Cup game at Sudbury. What a legend!

RIP Tony.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Very sad. As with many others the voice of the Albion for me especially when I was marooned in East Anglia in the 70's. Saw him at the county ground at the beginning of the month. A chipper as ever. RIP Tony.

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
Hereford "highlights" with Tony's commentary. There is a man with a real emotional connection to his subject.

[video=vimeo;23283912]http://vimeo.com/23283912[/video]

Even though I knew the result I was still nervous right up to the final whistle.

Tony was a booming voice in the press room you could not miss him thanks for the chats Tony goodbye.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
To honour him properly the club should have a six minute discussion on what Gully had for breakfast before the sad story of Tony's death.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
To honour him properly the club should have a six minute discussion on what Gully had for breakfast before the sad story of Tony's death.

And charge us all a premium per-minute fee to listen in :D

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
And charge us all a premium per-minute fee to listen in :D

Funnily enough, I was thinking of Tony Millard the other day while reading the "£43 for a ticket for Millwall" thread - I was trying to work out whether the per-minute cost of watching the Albion live had finally surpassed the per-minute cost of phoning the Seagull Line.

RIP Tony.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
Sorry to hear the news, not only an Albion legend but also the at cricket and speedway, I guess he may have turned his hand to commentating on other sports too. He used to pop up on TV or radio reports from all sorts of locations, I'm sure he was only reporting from Priestfield or similar last week. He brought great passion and enthusiasm to his role.

I recall Tony from the 70's/80s when I used to steward at The Goldstone and Tony being one of the first reporters to wear the full length thermal quilted football coats. No doubt it was cosy but the diminutive Mr Millard looked a bit like a Hobbit. I think he even had his trademark comb-over back then.

The other local commentator I recall from that era was Fred Dineage, funnily enough he was also a fan of the long football coat and sported a comb-over too - but he wasn't half as amenable as Tony Millard.

RIP.

with, or rather out of respect, please don't mention that **** Dinneage in the same breath as the wonderful Tony Millard.....RIP

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
great times
great memories
Rest in Peace Tony

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
RIP Tony.
Will always remember you imploring people to stay off the pitch v York and v Hereford.

And, of course, that impassioned commentary at Hereford.
That ought to be played at the end of our Matchday build-up video in tribute.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
My greatest Millard memory was of one night in our First Division days when he was the Goldstone PA announcer. Andy Ritchie was less-than-committed in chasing a ball down the line, and Millard muttered 'FFS, Andy, pull your finger out.'

Sadly he had forgotten to switch the PA mike off so his words echoed all over the Goldstone and most of Hove ...

Absolute. Legend.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports