Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tony Bloom's letter to season ticket holders

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Sure. But as things currently stand, we are relying on Baldock (misfiring sicknote), Hemed (complete unknown), Colunga and COG (hardly goal machines). If we don't get some proven quality forwards in, then Hambo and Harper could find themselves having to make those jumps PDQ.

That's whats worrying.

Completely agree.
Compare what we have to the forwards of our first opponents this season. Forest have the likes of Paterson, Maynard, Blackstock, Antonio, Jamie Ward, Assombalonga and Fryatt in their first team squad. (Fryatt and Assombalonga are currently injured and Ward is the only new face who wasn't with them last year).
It's a wealth of riches which should have got them promoted last year and I defy you to suggest that you would keep our forward line over theirs.
I am not sure with a forward line of COG, Colunga, Baldock and Hemed to choose from we are really playing the same game.
We need another centre forward desperately.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Don't see any problem in including Harper and the Finnish lad in the first team plans, all players need their chance in the first eventually and if they are good enough who cares if they are experienced. My major worry is whether hughton will actually play them or look to loans again rather than the youth and also where Harper would play. He is a no 10 or attacking from he left who has grown up with Spanish ideas (possession and movement) and not sure how that fits in with hughton's brave new world of 4-4-2.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think some of the comments on this thread have been overly harsh on Bloom. He said: "We are continuing to work hard to bring in more quality and depth to the squad...we still have work to do in terms of player recruitment and we will continue to strengthen the squad in the coming weeks."

Therefore, he recognises we don't presently have enough, so I'll cut him some slack.

That said, Hughton mentioned 8 had left and needed to be replaced, so to my mind that's 2 more players. What worries me is that I think we still need to bring in 3 players - a CB, a winger and a striker. Our efforts to sign Ali J, Murphy and Marshall would indicate that a winger is top priority, but it looks as though we could end up with either Greer / COG / Clunge starting beyond the end of the window.

I really think Bloom should be looking to bring in a top striker on loan, at least until Christmas by which time the lad Harper might be ready.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Having brought up two teenagers, I see you stamping your feet, slamming the door and saying 'Everyone else is doing it, why can't I'.

Please list each Championship club and their signings, so that we can compare our new players with theirs.
Absolutely - give the blighter some difficult homework to keep him busy for a few hours!

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
I think some of the comments on this thread have been overly harsh on Bloom. He said: "We are continuing to work hard to bring in more quality and depth to the squad...we still have work to do in terms of player recruitment and we will continue to strengthen the squad in the coming weeks."

Therefore, he recognises we don't presently have enough, so I'll cut him some slack.

I really think Bloom should be looking to bring in a top striker on loan, at least until Christmas by which time the lad Harper might be ready.

Is there likely to be many top-class strikers available for loan ? I doubt it. It's not easy finding a top class striker at a reasonable price who is proven at this level. Look at Rhodes and McCormack, both cost a fortune, but their clubs were nowhere near promotion. Guessing this is the reason we haven't signed one, there is no-one available and affordable that we think will do a job for us. Probably have to look abroad again. Mind you, I would have taken Darren Bent

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak

Absolutely not. If we are going to get a striker, then we need someone who actually WANTS to play for the club and cares. Surely last few seasons dross like Paynter, Best, Obika, Lita, Vokes are proof that loans very rarely work. Bamford and back in the day, BZ were exceptions to this.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Completely agree.
Compare what we have to the forwards of our first opponents this season. Forest have the likes of Paterson, Maynard, Blackstock, Antonio, Jamie Ward, Assombalonga and Fryatt in their first team squad. (Fryatt and Assombalonga are currently injured and Ward is the only new face who wasn't with them last year).
It's a wealth of riches which should have got them promoted last year and I defy you to suggest that you would keep our forward line over theirs.
I am not sure with a forward line of COG, Colunga, Baldock and Hemed to choose from we are really playing the same game.
We need another centre forward desperately.

Compare us to Forest and the fact that they're under a transfer embargo and are likely to lose some of their best players before the end of August, and I know whose position I'd rather be in.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Sure. But as things currently stand, we are relying on Baldock (misfiring sicknote), Hemed (complete unknown), Colunga and COG (hardly goal machines). If we don't get some proven quality forwards in, then Hambo and Harper could find themselves having to make those jumps PDQ.

That's whats worrying.

And equally, in 2013/2014 you could have written - "we are relying on Hoskins (misfiring sicknote), Ulloa (complete unknown), Barnes and CMS (hardly goal machines). If we don't get some proven quality forwards in then Barker & Dickenson (and Lita!) could find themselves having to make those jumps".

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Compare us to Forest and the fact that they're under a transfer embargo and are likely to lose some of their best players before the end of August, and I know whose position I'd rather be in.

Take out any 2 of the players above, sign no more. I'd still rather Forest's squad.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Is there likely to be many top-class strikers available for loan ? I doubt it. It's not easy finding a top class striker at a reasonable price who is proven at this level.

Proven and prolific. Affordable. Healthy.

Pick two.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Off the top of my head Derby, Middlesbrough and Brentford have done the best business so far. Other clubs may have not spent as much money but based on our position last season, we need to strengthen more than most clubs. Rotherham, the only team that finished below us (and that was only because of a points deduction), have signed a lot of new players.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
And equally, in 2013/2014 you could have written - "we are relying on Hoskins (misfiring sicknote), Ulloa (complete unknown), Barnes and CMS (hardly goal machines). If we don't get some proven quality forwards in then Barker & Dickenson (and Lita!) could find themselves having to make those jumps".

Hoskins barely saw the light of day here, he was beyond a sicknote, he was an outright cripple. And I'd have CMS/Barnes over COG/Colunga every day and twice on Sunday.

Ulloa was something of an unknown quantity, but then signing a foreign striker is always a bit of a punt, especially in the markets we shop in. Hopefully Hemed will settle and adapt as quickly as Ulloa did. He's going to need to, because right now we've got stuff-all else in the team thats going to regularly find the net for us.

WonderingSoton

Dec 3, 2014
Bloom's letter is quite clever really, it doesn't tie him to any promises or fixed objectives, just 'aiming' to do better, 'trying' to recruit more etc. Clear method of expectation management, after a summer in which we haven't seen anything like the expenditure or recruitment we clearly needed.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Can not believe some people on here, the two young lads have been signed as part of the first team and the club is looking to build for the future. The club knows that we have to strengthen in the areas mentioned and are still working hard, but let's not knock them because they have also invested in the future. I would add Rooney played in the PL aged 16 Harry Kane another young player, if they have the potential then there is no reason to have them in the first team, having said that I fully expect CH to bring these two on slowly and maybe they could be challenging for a regular place come the start of next season

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
The only letter to the STH's that a large plurality -- probably, but only probably, not a majority -- of this board would find acceptable is one announcing the pending sale of the club to a Thai frozen-food magnate with deeper pockets.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Can not believe some people on here, the two young lads have been signed as part of the first team and the club is looking to build for the future. The club knows that we have to strengthen in the areas mentioned and are still working hard, but let's not knock them because they have also invested in the future. I would add Rooney played in the PL aged 16 Harry Kane another young player, if they have the potential then there is no reason to have them in the first team, having said that I fully expect CH to bring these two on slowly and maybe they could be challenging for a regular place come the start of next season

Nobody's knocking them, Hughton himself said they were more likely to figure in the DS than the 1st XI. A cynic would draw similarities between Hambo and Adgestein, Harper and Gai Assulin - respectively Norse and El Clasico reserve, did absolutely nothing for the Albion. We're looking to get off to a good start and still be in contention by Christmas. All hopes currently rest on Hemed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here