Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tony Bloom's letter to season ticket holders

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I don't believe that any of that is the case though, so rest easy Easy.

The players will be expected to be pushing for inclusion in match day squads before the end of the season. That's a long way from an expectation that we are pinning all of our hopes upon them.

Hopefully that's exactly the case, but its Bloom who has counted them as one of the 6 players "brought into our 1st team squad".

I just don’t accept that a lad who’s played a dozen games in Finland, and a kid who’s never played higher than the Spanish 3rd tier will (or should) be anywhere near the first team squad for a season in the Championship. A year in the development squad and perhaps a couple of runouts off the bench in the Noddy Cup should realistically be their upcoming season, or some appearances in the dead rubbers towards the end when whatever our fate is has already been sealed. If we are genuinely looking on them as being an integral part of the 1st team this season then that is truly frightening. An (early) low point last year was starting Fenelon v Sheff Weds in the first game. That was painfully indicative of the terrible shortcomings in the squad, and a year on that has still not been addressed yet.

Yes there’s still time. But the noises are ominously reminiscent of last year about “working hard” to bring players in, and Hughton has trotted out the old fave in the Argus today reiterating how difficult it is etc. Heard it all before. Until I see us land some players with proven track records in this division, I’ll reluctantly have to retain my air of deep cynicism about what this clubs ambitions truly are at this moment. They’ve become experts at talking the talk, but that’s about it lately.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Harper's said he aims to have a shot in the first team by Christmas, with the Kanye-like confidence he seems to hold I think he will be expecting to hold down that first team spot once he's cracked it. :thumbsup:[/QUOTE

Good. We need players with a bit of ambition and swagger. Let's hope he has the ability to back it up.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Although a mention of aiming for the premiership overall Bllom does not sound too optimistic.

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
I'd rather see the current bunch of DS strikers fighting for a place in our first team squad than us bringing in another 30 year old journeyman who's here for their last paycheque before retiring.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I wish Bloom wouldn't bother with this crap he comes out with at the start of every season as last year, he looked a complete fool by Christmas.

I am pleased with most of the players we've bought in, but looking at those expected to be pushing for a start against Forest, I think only Hemed, Bong & Rosenoir are certs.

Rosenoir is a class act, but it remains to be seen whether Bong is better than Bennett and Hemed is completely unproven and as someone else has posted elsewhere, is not known as a prolific scorer - just like O'Grady.

That means we have very little difference between now and say, March last year.

I know I'm being cynical, but I'm afraid, this time last year we were getting excited about Holla, Stockdale and a little later on Baldrick & Gardner and I have to say that all of them were disappointments last year.

We STILL haven't addressed the issue that our defence let in some shocking goals last year because of stupid mistakes by Greer and we still haven't got anyone who is going to supply a consistent service to the forwards and it's frankly ludicrous that nearly a month after the Transfer window has opened, we are still almost in no different a position as we were in May.

Last year the buck stopped at Burke & Hyypia. This year, who will be the fall guy for Bloom and Barber's transfer window incompetence?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Hopefully that's exactly the case, but its Bloom who has counted them as one of the 6 players "brought into our 1st team squad".

I just don’t accept that a lad who’s played a dozen games in Finland, and a kid who’s never played higher than the Spanish 3rd tier will (or should) be anywhere near the first team squad for a season in the Championship. A year in the development squad and perhaps a couple of runouts off the bench in the Noddy Cup should realistically be their upcoming season, or some appearances in the dead rubbers towards the end when whatever our fate is has already been sealed. If we are genuinely looking on them as being an integral part of the 1st team this season then that is truly frightening. An (early) low point last year was starting Fenelon v Sheff Weds in the first game. That was painfully indicative of the terrible shortcomings in the squad, and a year on that has still not been addressed yet.

There's a massive difference between being in the first team squad and being in a match day squad. There's also a fair-sized jump between being in a match day squad and being a regular in the starting eleven.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
There's a massive difference between being in the first team squad and being in a match day squad. There's also a fair-sized jump between being in a match day squad and being a regular in the starting eleven.

Plus, if they have been signed on full contracts, not DS, then it would be rather odd for the Chairman to ignore them when referring to first team squad players that have been signed.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Sure. But as things currently stand, we are relying on Baldock (misfiring sicknote), Hemed (complete unknown), Colunga and COG (hardly goal machines). If we don't get some proven quality forwards in, then Hambo and Harper could find themselves having to make those jumps PDQ.

That's whats worrying.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
I think Bloom, Barber et al are intentionally trying to insult our intelligence. They have to be?

Every transfer window we get the same excuses and I'm getting a little bit tired of it now. We seem the only club consistently incapable of recruiting the players we need. To fail on such a frequent basis can only be down to either gross incompetence or unrealistic expectations.

I favour unrealistic expectations- we clearly don't have the financial muscle to back it up. The suits harp on about premier league aspirations whilst selling our best players and replacing them with utter dross. Yet they seem utterly bewildered by our frustrations. O'Grady, Holla, Toko, Augustien, the list goes on. Everything about our player recruitment is second rate and done on the cheap.

Bloom has done wonders for this football club and its infrastructure. However if he can't finance what's needed on the pitch to fulfil our ambitions he needs to step aside and let someone that can.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Bloom's 6 is my 3 (I'm discounting 2 DS squad players and a keeper only bought in so Walton could go on loan). Of those 3 only 1 (an unknown at this level) seeks to address the glaring problems of last season.

I think Bloom, Barber et al are intentionally trying to insult our intelligence. They have to be?

Every transfer window we get the same excuses and I'm getting a little bit tired of it now. We seem the only club consistently incapable of recruiting the players we need. To fail on such a frequent basis can only be down to either gross incompetence or unrealistic expectations.

I favour unrealistic expectations- we clearly don't have the financial muscle to back it up. The suits harp on about premier league aspirations whilst selling our best players and replacing them with utter dross. Yet they seem utterly bewildered by our frustrations. O'Grady, Holla, Toko, Augustien, the list goes on. Everything about our player recruitment is second rate and done on the cheap.

Bloom has done wonders for this football club and its infrastructure. However if he can't finance what's needed on the pitch to fulfil our ambitions he needs to step aside and let someone that can.

They would have to search high and low for the intelligence of a good number on this board before they even contemplate insulting it.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

I really hate posts like this. Where is this queue of wealthy businessmen of which you speak?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
At least this is true, unfortunately now development squad signings seem to be becoming first team squad signing.

That is a BIG worry. Despite the optimism on here, I can't see these two kids being anywhere near the first team for a while yet, and if they are then we are in a whole load of Shamir-Fenelon-starting-at-Sheff-Weds type trouble.

I guess he preferred to say something rather optimistic about them, as opposed to saying "4 new signings", which does look rather meagre.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

You got the cash to fund this then, or do you know someone? It's costing £10m a season at the current level of spend, which a number seem to think isn't enough, not to mention the fact TB probably wouldn't fancy writing off the entire £200m that he's already poured into the club. Whoever this mystery fan is, they're going to need big pockets.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Every transfer window we get the same excuses and I'm getting a little bit tired of it now. We seem the only club consistently incapable of recruiting the players we need.

Having brought up two teenagers, I see you stamping your feet, slamming the door and saying 'Everyone else is doing it, why can't I'.

You're not on your own. I wish I had £1 for every similar post I've read over the last week.

Please list each Championship club and their signings, so that we can compare our new players with theirs.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Signing TOP players is easy if you're prepared to spend money, Derby are having no problems strengthening their squad. If you want to nickel and dime and squeeze every last penny then you're going to end up like we are.

God help us this season as it seems Bloom and Barber are repeating all the same mistakes again, hopefully they will sack themselves when it is all going tits up

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Signing TOP players is easy if you're prepared to spend money, Derby are having no problems strengthening their squad. If you want to nickel and dime and squeeze every last penny then you're going to end up like we are.

God help us this season as it seems Bloom and Barber are repeating all the same mistakes again, hopefully they will sack themselves when it is all going tits up
A lot of people quote Derby and Middlesbrough conveniently forgetting the other 20 clubs ..still same was said about Forest not that long ago and take a look at there situation now

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here