Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tony Bloom ,Good Work Sir

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Not wishing to burst anyone's bubble but what did yo expect Bloom to say?

He's going to say he is not available to make sure we get the right price for him. I highly doubt we will see Elliot in an albion shirt again I'm afraid.

He might have said nothing if his intention was to get rid of him.

Don't you think with the statement he has just made as others have intimated here, that he is making a rod for his own back with the fans if he did sell EB now?

Jul 7, 2003
swindon, wilts
Time is too tight for Norwich to do much about this if TB is being 100% upfront, and I have no reason to doubt that he isn't.

Great news and very refreshing for a club that has always bowed down to the pressure of having to sell. Loving it

Couldn't agree more, EB is on a good contract, get us promoted then maybe we can let him go at a top price. I feel EB owes to us to see out this season.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Not wishing to burst anyone's bubble but what did yo expect Bloom to say?

He's going to say he is not available to make sure we get the right price for him. I highly doubt we will see Elliot in an albion shirt again I'm afraid.

Given how the club got their way in the Forster and Murray negotiations I think Bloom's words carry a lot of weight. He simply doesn't say things for show he tends to only speak when necessary and mean every word.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I hope I am! But I also vividly remember Gus saying he only wants players here who are completely committed to the club. Would he include someone who handed in a transfer request 3 days before the window closing as that?

What more proof do you need? Bloom has made two public statements over selling our players.He isn't interested in bumping up Bennett's price.He wants promotion and there's nothing more to it.

That is it as far as i'm concerned as Bloom is a man of his word.You will see Bennett playing again in an Albion shirt.When i don't know but all this will blow over like the Calderon incident.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
He might have said nothing if his intention was to get rid of him.

Don't you think as others have intimated here, that he is making a rod for his own back with the fans if he did sell EB now?

He'd say:

"We really didn't want to lose Elliott at this stage in the season, but he and his agent made it very clear that his future lies elsewhere. Norwich have made what we feel is a very good offer so reluctantly we have agreed to let him go. Funds are available to Gus for the right player, and we are persuing several options - as I have stated before, we did not want to lose Elliott but Gus and I both agree it is wrong to stand in the way of any player who wants to leave the club."

:)

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
If he stays, I wont forgive him for doing what he has done. Like Calderon, he's now officially on my shit-list but deal with it because they might get us places list.

I think that's silly. The guys is only 22. He's being tempted by the thought of premiership football and no doubt has an agent with £ signs in his eyes trying to bend his ear.

He's never been anything but professional and hard working. I very much doubt that this will change. Give him a break, sometimes these players cant see the wood for the trees.

This man is just the perfect chairman. Still find it hard to believe he's ours!!

As his poker shows, he's got balls of steel

I've hung out with two decent blokes at seperate occasions (co-incidentally with the same first name as me) who are personal friends of Tony's, and both speak well of him as a person as well.
From my own encounters with TB at the club, I noticed he doesn't display any ego issues either.

We have a lot to be thankful for at Brighton now, after all the crap that's gone down for our club in recent years.
We would not be where we are if not for Richard Knight and Tony Bloom, and of course the people who are working backing their efforts.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
He'd say:

"We really didn't want to lose Elliott at this stage in the season, but he and his agent made it very clear that his future lies elsewhere. Norwich have made what we feel is a very good offer so reluctantly we have agreed to let him go. Funds are available to Gus for the right player, and we are persuing several options - as I have stated before, we did not want to lose Elliott but Gus and I both agree it is wrong to stand in the way of any player who wants to leave the club."

:)

Absolutely, if negotiations were ongoing with Norwich (or anyone else for that matter) and at a delicate stage there is no way that Tony Bloom would have made such a statement as that.

It is a statment made on the Seagulls website and as such to me it is a statement to us, the fans EB isn't going anywhere (unless someone offers absurd money of course and everyone has their price even Ronaldo).

In respect of whether EB doesn't want to be at BHA, I am not so sure, he was happy to sign a 4 year contract in the summer, which doesn't suggest he is too unsettled and wants out and since the summer, everything since then on and off the pitch (for the club and him) has gone from strength to strength. This could be what his agent is telling him to do to get more money (at BHA or elsewhere) a la Rooney.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
We have two different sides of the coin here. Players cannot have it both ways. If Murray does not want to sign a contract and move in the summer for free. Therefore getting the best deal for himself, then thats his choice and he is entiteled to that. However if a player is under contract, he should honour that contract unless the club wants to cash in on him. f***ing players cant have it all ways and if they throw there toys out the pram, then drop them. There value will go down and they will soon go off the radar. We should keep Bennett and it is also in the players best interest to keep producing the goods on the pitch.

tainan

Jul 5, 2003
I hope I am! But I also vividly remember Gus saying he only wants players here who are completely committed to the club. Would he include someone who handed in a transfer request 3 days before the window closing as that?

I think the fact he's waited so late in the transfer window to hand in a request, shows he's not really sure he wants to leave, otherwise he'd have handed the request in weeks ago. Not good for him to make a deal in a hurry.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
Or he's just playing the odds (see what I did there)

We don't want to sell, so coming out now at this stage and saying "we don't want to sell, he's not available" can only send his asking price (and possibly Norwich's desperation to land their man) upwards.

Either we keep him (ideal) or Norwich are forced to add that extra few hundred grand on his transfer fee to persuade us (not so good but better than a knock-down price for a want out player). It's a calculated gamble he can't lose - a winble as it were.

:laugh: Is that a bit like Alan Partridge's two pronged fork? 'Sort of like a trident; more a bident'

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
The stench of agents is in the air - Aidy Boothroyd talking about agents phoning him up and touting players - i can just imagine Bennett's agent contacting Norwich and brokering a deal and coming back to him saying Norwich are offering x amount. This is a dirty business and the transfer window is a disgrace and the sooner it slams shut the better, I expect Bennett to be off in the summer once promotion is achieved(hopefully). I am sure Bennett will play his heart out for us and I hope he goes on to achieve his potential whether with us or whoever he joins.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
So when an oppositions chairman says this (see Swindon/Greer) it's because they are trying to raise the price and when ours does it, it's because he wants the player to stay so there is no way he'll go.

If Benno wants out we can't stop him. Contracts in football mean nothing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here