Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tony Bloom "Extremely confident...we'll have a competitive squad"

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Anyone think he was happy to fund the capital project but did not expect to have to drip feed millions into the club each year,looking like a sell out within 5 years tbh:moo:

No, don't think that, but I do think he was surprised by the imperfect storm caused by massive increases to parachute payments, and FFP being brought in.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Anyone think he was happy to fund the capital project but did not expect to have to drip feed millions into the club each year,looking like a sell out within 5 years tbh:moo:
No...

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
No, don't think that, but I do think he was surprised by the imperfect storm caused by massive increases to parachute payments, and FFP being brought in.
This FFP debacle is going to hit the courts at some point,.... those clubs not wallowing in parachute payment clover are going to cry foul eventually.

I ask this question because I havnt seen it answered yet,.... what has actually happened to those clubs who are breaking the rules?.... is there any evidence that sanctions have been applied, or has it all been swept under the carpet.?

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
He's only saying what he knows we want to hear. Come on Tony, put your money where your mouth is.

Sure, he's built us a 100 million pound, state of the art, truly world class stadium. And sure he's spent 30 million pounds on a state of the art, world class training facility which will provide this club with young talent for years to come. And sure, he's trying to run the club as a successful business and make ends meet so we have a sustainable club for the long-term.

But the problem is. I think he lacks ambition. Why doesn't he go out and buy a player we've actually heard of. Today. Don't consider our options. Pay over the odds. Buy anyone as long as I've heard of him. I'm not content with getting into the playoffs two seasons in a row. I want more. I want it now. I want premier league. I want us to be like Man United. Why aren't we like Man United? I want..... oh.

Sorry, I've just realised that I'm actually a massive DONG and Tony Bloom is the best thing any football club in the world could ever wish for. But WE have him. We have the best chairman you could ever want in charge of your football club. Ever.

how do you come to that conclusion?

i just think the amex was sold on the dream of a stadium that could produce its own revenue but we are losing more than when were at withers or priestfield,we must be at a near maximum of potential regards to income and all credit to the barber for that.revenue could drop and i can't see bloom throwing money at it each year,unless players salaries are driven down its a one way street.Plus other rumours point towards a sad end to this particular era.:(

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
My issue is not the amount he is putting into the player budget, but some of the sh*t we have spent it on in the past (especially last season), which is not his fault.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
i just think the amex was sold on the dream of a stadium that could produce its own revenue but we are losing more than when were at withers or priestfield,we must be at a near maximum of potential regards to income and all credit to the barber for that.revenue could drop and i can't see bloom throwing money at it each year,unless players salaries are driven down its a one way street.Plus other rumours point towards a sad end to this particular era.:(

What rumours, or just random scaremongering ???

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
He's only saying what he knows we want to hear. Come on Tony, put your money where your mouth is.

Sure, he's built us a 100 million pound, state of the art, truly world class stadium. And sure he's spent 30 million pounds on a state of the art, world class training facility which will provide this club with young talent for years to come. And sure, he's trying to run the club as a successful business and make ends meet so we have a sustainable club for the long-term.

But the problem is. I think he lacks ambition. Why doesn't he go out and buy a player we've actually heard of. Today. Don't consider our options. Pay over the odds. Buy anyone as long as I've heard of him. I'm not content with getting into the playoffs two seasons in a row. I want more. I want it now. I want premier league. I want us to be like Man United. Why aren't we like Man United? I want..... oh.

Sorry, I've just realised that I'm actually a massive DONG and Tony Bloom is the best thing any football club in the world could ever wish for. But WE have him. We have the best chairman you could ever want in charge of your football club. Ever.

Pretty much.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Got hammered when i suggested poyet was a snake within his first 6 months,SO I'LL KEEP MY HEAD DOWN AND LET THE STORY UNFOLD:rolleyes:

I think what you actually suggested was that he'd be a failure / be off at the very first opportunity. ALmost FOUR YEARS later, you were proven SPOT ON.

Well done you.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
As Brighton fans then we have a historical duty to hold club owners and the board to account. And I fear sometimes about the clubs future if/when TB decides to move on. Don't be under any illusion that this will be the case. Not soon but one day. Are we ready for that fight when unsuitable investors come circling ?

However for now those questioning his ambition or strategy at the moment or overall contributions to the club then I do wonder. Have you seen the pix of him on trains back from away matches mingling with us ? Or doubt his desire as a fan , let's not forget, to fund (but not bankrupt club at same time) a competitive squad to get us promoted. If you still do.
Then I have 2 words for you. Leeds United.

Be careful what you wish for.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

AMEN BROTHER.....

ps I was getting pretty angry with you until the last sentence ;-)

i think what you actually suggested was that he'd be a failure / be off at the very first opportunity. Almost four years later, you were proven spot on.

Well done you.

Firstly a source inside the club indicated he would not last 3 months and secondly he linked himself with every available job above where we were,i decided he was not the loyal sort so declined the mass worship of the guy and the desire to have his babies,that's about it really.:moo: I THINK HE WAS A HALF DECENT MANAGER NO DOUBT BUT ALSO A SNAKE:rolleyes:

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
yeh mid table and i dont think we will be anywhere near the top 6 unless we start signing some quality players

Yeah and signing them takes time, Mark.

And so what if it's mid table this season? New manager, new tactics and a building block for the next season. As long as it's not relegation or whereabouts, I'm satisfied with the prospect of this current set up, we will sign players. It'll take time, negotiations aren't a quick "I want this much a week, and this much for agent fees".

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
And so what if it's mid table this season?

It might be literally meaningless. Not in the sense of 'not important' but in the sense of 'not telling us anything useful'.

What's the difference in points between mid-table and a playoff spot? 10 points.
How much of the difference between mid-table and a playoff spot is pure luck?
A lot.

I think Bloom chose his words 'a competitive squad' very carefully.... but then, he's a poker player. Presumably knows some maths.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Yeah and signing them takes time, Mark.

And so what if it's mid table this season? New manager, new tactics and a building block for the next season. As long as it's not relegation or whereabouts, I'm satisfied with the prospect of this current set up, we will sign players. It'll take time, negotiations aren't a quick "I want this much a week, and this much for agent fees".

It could well be a mid table season,but if the foundations are solid,if the team gels and shows real progress and the squads age has mileage in it,then there will be no real problem with mid table..

Especially if we finish well,anybody remember the 14 match unbeaten run at the end of 1999-2000 season? I wonder what happened the following season

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here