Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tony Bloom breaks his silence.. to Andy Naylor

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
When Bloom responded to criticism of the summer window I thought he had had misjudged the opinions expressed by many who expressed concern. I get that he wants the stability of a dedicated recruitment function that does not change with the manager and there's some best practice to this approach.

What I think was (and is) a very valid concern is that the function is headed by Burke who had minimal to no exposure or experience of playing, managing or scouting professional first team, championship level players (and ditched several scouts who did). It's absurd that the man who brought us Lita, Obika, Rodriguez, COG, Baldock and Colungs is trusted to resolve our attacking issues.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Doesn't this thread illustrate that a lot of this stuff isn't straight forward?

Yes. Yes it does. If by that you mean having an opinion on. Mine vacillated wildly last season. If by that you mean actually doing it then I would hope that at least 90% of the fans understood that that was even harder. The difference is the people doing it are being paid very very well for their efforts.

Well one manager let Murray walk away for nothing and paid £3m (or whatever) on CMS. Another let Barnes go and variously brought in Lita, Obika and Rodriguez.

Hang on, didn't you brief that Oscar wanted nothing at all to do with transfers? You literally cannot have it both ways. Mind you that goes for Oscar too who cannot leave citing a transfer policy he wasn't (allegedly) interested in.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I had heard Burke ditched the scout who found

Ulloa.

Good work burke by name...

scooter1

How soon is now?
Over the course of the next two days you'll read nothing in the Argus that you either don't already know, or hasn't already been speculated and dissected on here. There will be NO great shocks or surprises, it'll just be a load of old spiel under the guise of 'exclusive'

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Over the course of the next two days you'll read nothing in the Argus that you either don't already know, or hasn't already been speculated and dissected on here. There will be NO great shocks or surprises, it'll just be a load of old spiel under the guise of 'exclusive'

Ain't that the truth!

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Barry Lloyd picked him out, Tony Bloom paid for it, Dick Tight took the credit.
I was informed that a large chunk of the sell on money we got from CKR helped to purchase Murray...

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Backs him and jones 100% in today's argus . Expects both to be here many years to come . Bit of stubbornness about the wording IMO . Anyway , as we suspected . He could take us down and unlikely to be sacked so we may as well get on with it

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
He's hardly going to admit he made a duff appointment and that the people he brought in to recruit players have signed a bunch of no-hopers that have had to be reinforced by short term panic loans. 16000 through the gates against Wigan, three tough games coming up, I can't believe he's not concerned.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Doesn't this thread illustrate that a lot of this stuff isn't straight forward?

People like [MENTION=3734]Giraffe[/MENTION] reckon you just let a manager get on with it - he chooses the players for the club and that's it.

Well one manager let Murray walk away for nothing and paid £3m (or whatever) on CMS. Another let Barnes go and variously brought in Lita, Obika and Rodriguez.

It's not an exact science though is it. Not even the great Sir Alex Ferguson got every transfer right.

I would say Poyet's success rate was much much better than Burke's has been, particularly this summer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here