Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tony Bloom breaks his silence.. to Andy Naylor

SAC

May 21, 2014
Lets see what is said and if there is any substance to it. He's hardly going to come out and slate his staff is he?

Whatever he says you will get people metaphorically fellating him and claiming that someone who has put in £200 million is above criticism.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Expect but not fact. As Mellotron says someone should have signed him and said here you go.

JUST LIKE BLOOM DID FOR DEAN WILKINS WHEN WE SIGNED HIM FROM CARLISLE.

For those with short memories Wilkins first met Murray on the training ground he had no idea we were signing him.

And for those with even shorter memories, we signed him from Rochdale, not Carlisle! :lolol:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Getting rid of Sami and jones and replacing them will cost the club at least £3m. Bloom thinks having Sami still in charge will save the club money where in fact it'll cost the club double or triple that if we are relegated.

Really ?? How do you know this ? I guess you have a detailed insight to what SH and NJ are paid and what the T&C's on their contacts are ?

Let's just hypothetically pretend you're right - how do you come up with a loss of £9m for being relegated ?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Garcia didn't rate him and didn't want him - said he didn't have enough pace. He wanted Lingard and there was an option to take him at the end of the season if we got promotion. Also, Barnes made it pretty clear he would probably go at the end of the season when he was a free agent. So, it wasn't about our offer.

An important factor which is being overlooked with so many complaints about player recruitment.

The manager decides who he wants here still for the following season.

Gus decided he didn't want Murray so we released him and Palace took a chance.

Garcia decided not to use extra cash from his player budget to increase the offer to Barnes and so we sold him when we could still cash in. - Had Garcia really wanted to keep him, then we would have extended his contract beforehand and there wouldn't have been the risk of him leaving for free in the summer unless the player didn't want to stay (reasonable given the abuse he got from some supporters, bet they are having second thoughts now)

Garcia would have had a big say in who was to be released and who was to be offered a new deal in the summer (probably the retained list had been decided before the play-offs and maybe before Garcia decided to go)

Its unfortunate that a couple of the players that we had chosen to keep for this season were sold, (due to the opportunity they would have to play in the PL) but that is what happens with a club of our size and standing and that another player offered a new deal got a better / more tempting offer from a Premier League team so again the club could do very little about it except look for replacements.

Far easier and much more simplistic to blame people like Burke and co instead. He hasn't had a manager who finished one season and started the next to work with and the retained list actually has the players picked by the manager. the timings of the managers leaving also meant that there was limited time to work with a new manager in player recruitment for the start of the new season so how about we give Hyppia time to evolve his squad with his style and hopefully he can succeed where his predecessors have failed and actually make that step upto the top flight, but it may take some patience from fans before this happens.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
An important factor which is being overlooked with so many complaints about player recruitment.

Garcia decided not to use extra cash from his player budget to increase the offer to Barnes and so we sold him when we could still cash in. - Had Garcia really wanted to keep him, then we would have extended his contract beforehand and there wouldn't have been the risk of him leaving for free in the summer unless the player didn't want to stay (reasonable given the abuse he got from some supporters, bet they are having second thoughts now)

Garcia would have had a big say in who was to be released and who was to be offered a new deal in the summer (probably the retained list had been decided before the play-offs and maybe before Garcia decided to go)

Its unfortunate that a couple of the players that we had chosen to keep for this season were sold, (due to the opportunity they would have to play in the PL) but that is what happens with a club of our size and standing and that another player offered a new deal got a better / more tempting offer from a Premier League team so again the club could do very little about it except look for replacements.

Far easier and much more simplistic to blame people like Burke and co instead. He hasn't had a manager who finished one season and started the next to work with and the retained list actually has the players picked by the manager. the timings of the managers leaving also meant that there was limited time to work with a new manager in player recruitment for the start of the new season so how about we give Hyppia time to evolve his squad with his style and hopefully he can succeed where his predecessors have failed and actually make that step upto the top flight, but it may take some patience from fans before this happens.

Didn't Oscar say he liked Barnes and wanted to keep him. Sure I read something from Barnes that he got on with Oscar and it was a decision made upstairs (might have imagined that though).
As far as the retained list I'm sure Oscar had done the donkey work, but he also wanted to keep Orlandi (according to Orlandi) so it's a strange one.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Hopefully Bloom will give Hyypia the dreaded 'vote of confidence' and then at least we will all know that it is just a matter of time being before he's gone.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester

This makes complete sense in terms of the benefits of continuity. If we can keep above the relegation zone for the next few weeks and then do some sound business in the transfer window, including getting in a striker who will complement the existing strikers, plus getting rid of COG, then we have the chance of stability. As the Chairman of the club I expect TB to have an air of 'calm and authority' about him. That's what I'd expect in any interview with the local rag. I'm hoping to see this and then a gradual but visible improvement in results in the 2nd half of the season. If this is the case then I see that attendances will probably hold up, and supporters will have a renewed optimism for next season.

However, I'd be very surprised if TB and PB haven't had a confidential 'what if' scenario discussion behind closed doors. I expect the outcome has been that they will be giving total support to SH over the short term including doing everything reasonable to help him in the Jan window. However, I fully expect that they are very closely monitoring results in all sorts of areas including results on the pitch, performance levels, and attendances.

I think the management team ( chairman and chief exec) at the Albion is probably the best we've ever had and they will be considering their contingency plan if the expected up turn doesn't take place.

I hope the improvement does happen but I'm not convinced as SH shows all the signs of a manager lacking the experience, skills and flexibility to manage the required improvement.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Didn't Oscar say he liked Barnes and wanted to keep him. Sure I read something from Barnes that he got on with Oscar and it was a decision made upstairs (might have imagined that though).

I don't buy this idea that Oscar wanted Barnes out: he was played an awful lot. And didn't Ashley say that he wanted to stay but only had one offer and didn't get that increased?

It's certainly true to say that in most walks of life, you try to keep your staff ... unless a) he/she is inadequate or b) you can get someone better for about the same cost. I don't think either of those applied in Barnes's case so it was a baffling decision

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
As far as the retained list I'm sure Oscar had done the donkey work, but he also wanted to keep Orlandi (according to Orlandi) so it's a strange one.

Barnes was offered a contract extension in the Autumn but turned it down.

Edited
To add to Gwylan's post above, it was Barnes who said he felt he wasn't wanted. Maybe the offer was derisory, or it was because of the fans.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Barnes was offered a contract extension in the Autumn but turned it down.

Edited
To add to Gwylan's post above, it was Barnes who said he felt he wasn't wanted. Maybe the offer was derisory, or it was because of the fans.

Yes, that's right, didn't he say that he was expecting an increased offer and none came. My question is: why not?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here