Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Tonight’s ref

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Cricket? What’s that got to do with tonight?
Just trying to explain that when someone has a lot of experience in a sporting discipline they tend to be more analytical and over critical at times.

I know if a ref is having a bad game because I feel it. But my judgement has a lot of leniency in it and I'm more philosophical about things because I know that it is an incredibly difficult job running in live time. Especially with calls that have so many fine lines.

The only time I thought he got something wrong, that felt wrong without caveats, was actually against us. A decision where Gilmour was fouled should have been cautioned. Apart from that nothing really bothered me. We could have had a penalty but, to use another cricket analogy, it was 'Umpire's call' so I accepted the verdict.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
....... second was. Crouchy thought so too, ref claimed shoulder barge but it wasn't, he used his elbow and no intention of playing ball.
And this is why we have VAR that was a howler from the ref, not even a technicality that would have got us something extra he was clearly through with a bloody good chance of scoring

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
First wasn't imho, second was. Crouchy thought so too, ref claimed shoulder barge but it wasn't, he used his elbow and no intention of playing ball.

Ref was poor, Mitoma yellow was ridiculous and whilst van hecke was a foul it was never a yellow, he let off one of theirs with a miles worse crunching late challenge on Gilmour.

Plus he kept getting in way of our attacking players in first half near edge of box, his positioning was rubbish.
Whereas Sidwell thought different. I’d like to see it again but the replays I watched last night made me think I’d be very disappointed if that was given against us. At best it was 40/60 in our favour

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I’ve not seen a replay of Van Hecke’s yellow, but from my view right behind the North goal, it looked like as the ball was coming over and both players were watching it, the Ajax player had wrapped his arms round VH, and so when he spun round, dragged VH on top of him. But like I say, not seen it again so might be wrong

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
He was fine, poor to book Mitoma, should have booked their players. PvH decision spot on.

Better than most we’ve had in the PL IMO, especially that idiot at Villa Park.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
The ref was ok other than his consistency regarding bookings. If he was going to book Mitoma and JPVH then a few of their players should also have made it into the book.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I’ve not seen a replay of Van Hecke’s yellow, but from my view right behind the North goal, it looked like as the ball was coming over and both players were watching it, the Ajax player had wrapped his arms round VH, and so when he spun round, dragged VH on top of him. But like I say, not seen it again so might be wrong
Didn’t look like that side on. 50/50 initially, PvH got spun and then pulled him back.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Other than the stupid yellow for JPVH didn’t really notice him which is what should happen more often
How could you not notice him? - He got in the way half a dozen times, including a pass that hit him - poor positioning so many times.

Strange booking on JP (and Mitoma)

Strange non-booking on Gilmour

5/10

getz

Jan 15, 2010
I liked his " look at me" pre-match push-ups for a couple of minutes in front of the East stand lower.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
The amount of times he got in the way of our passes was bloody ridiculous. I thought JP's yellow should've been our free kick as Brobbey had both arms wrapped around him before the ball was even there to be challenged for, Mitoma's yellow looked a crap decision but can't say for sure from NS. Same with the first half pen shout.

I think he gave three or four fouls on Joao Pedro that probably weren't fouls though. Brobbey definitely should've had a yellow for throwing the ball at the ground in a rage after conceding an FK, I think Berghuis booted one away as well without repercussion.

Not too bad overall, but his positioning was very silly.

Last edited:

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Fourth official indicated '0 minutes'. Not much to do with the ref.

Was puzzled when he seemed to stop play when Dunk had the ball to allow subs to happen.
That's bizarre. I thought they usually added on X seconds each time there were substitutions so at the very least you usually get 1-2 minutes.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
That's bizarre. I thought they usually added on X seconds each time there were substitutions so at the very least you usually get 1-2 minutes.
There were no subs int he first half.

Indeed, apart from the goal, there were no stoppages in the first half, so 0 minutes was right.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
His general refereeing was very good. The Mitoma card was a bit odd as was the non yellow card for a foul on Gilmour. The Van Hecke card was justified as he held the player en route and continued to hold as he turned.....

...but it would be no fun without the ref thread.

If you are going to start a thread for this referee you may as well do it for all of them.

Oh :lolol:
The holding was by both players, him booking van hecke for that was laughable. You expect refs to fall for it and punish the defender, which is why attackers play to taht, but a booking? No way

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here