Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tonight's controversial thread Buckley

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Bruno and Buckley don't attack together.

Calde and Buckley had a fantastic understanding, towards the end of last season.
They were both constantly on their toes, give and go, hammering past the full back.

It wasn't fancy, something Bruno is fond of, but is was effective.
Currently the onus is only on Buckley for wing play while Bruno has a tendency to drift inside.

With C & D, it was just 2 eager to please puppies, with too much energy, marauding down the wing.

I will say that policy when they both were enjoying themselves did result in Bridcutt having to play right back, as neither was going back to defend. So I guess you can't have it all.

Lol...hmm..i like calde...but i do think bruno today gave us a reminder of his early season form and part of that was as an attacking full back...there was some lovely interplay in the first half

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Lol...hmm..i like calde...but i do think bruno today gave us a reminder of his early season form and part of that was as an attacking full back...there was some lovely interplay in the first half
Deffo, I've been on his case for a while (partly because of my Calde man crush, and partly cos he's been $hit) but today was markedly improved.

But I can't recall any time in the first half (right in front of me) when he even attempted to take on the left back.

That's all Calde & Buckley ever did, freeing up space inside them, but most importantly, for Buckley giving the left back pause for thought, cos if one didn't get him the other did.

Matey today, booted WB up in the air a few times, gave away some possession, but never got done over or pulled into the box, because he only had WB to think about.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Deffo, I've been on his case for a while (partly because of my Calde man crush, and partly cos he's been $hit) but today was markedly improved.

But I can't recall any time in the first half (right in front of me) when he even attempted to take on the left back.

That's all Calde & Buckley ever did, freeing up space inside them, but most importantly, for Buckley giving the left back pause for thought, cos if one didn't get him the other did.

Matey today, booted WB up in the air a few times, gave away some possession, but never got done over or pulled into the box, because he only had WB to think about.

Hmm...sorry but don't totally agree...in the first half also right in front of me Bruno was linking well..to me Buckley was still feeling his way back..some of his crosses weren't that brill (2 cracking attempts at goal from corners mind )....but as u say marked improvement and we did play some good stuff in tht first half even if the winning goals came in the second :)

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
Bruno and Buckley don't attack together.

Calde and Buckley had a fantastic understanding, towards the end of last season.
They were both constantly on their toes, give and go, hammering past the full back.

It wasn't fancy, something Bruno is fond of, but is was effective.
Currently the onus is only on Buckley for wing play while Bruno has a tendency to drift inside.

With C & D, it was just 2 eager to please puppies, with too much energy, marauding down the wing.

I will say that policy when they both were enjoying themselves did result in Bridcutt having to play right back, as neither was going back to defend. So I guess you can't have it all.

In a few notable wins during Sept and Nov, Buckley and Bruno were immense attacking together.
Giving a sorted right side.

Jimmy Grimble

Dixon had him in his pocket. Superb positioning, Buckley was totally outclassed.

:lolol: Are you trying to be TCB?

Sorry, NE, but if you're not you've shown yourself up there. By no means was Buckley at his best, but he had the better of their left-back, even if it was only marginally. The bloke got booked and arguably could have been sent off. It's a shame Buckley wasn't at his best because he could have completely roasted him. As it was, he troubled him without delivering any fantastic crosses, but won us a lot of corners, free-kicks, gained us a lot of yards and provided a relatively threatening outlet.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Maybe not one of his best games today, but he's a player you cant afford to leave out. Vicente is undoubtedly the player to set him free because he has the vision to see his moves and can put the ball on a plate for him. I also agree he plays better with either Lopez or Calderon behind him. I'm afraid Bruno has gone right off the boil of late. My only criticism of him today was in the second half when Hammond pounced on a mistake and sent a pass to Buckley standing just over the half way line by the dugout. He had a clear run into the box and I was expecting him to race into the area, as of old. But he didn't......... he looked up and overhit an unnecessary pass to Ulloa. That was "passing the buck" because he should have had the confidence to run all the way to the box and either shoot or pass. Think he maybe a little low on confidence.

I thought exactly the same for that move. There was a moment a bit later on though where hudders got what could have been a dangerous break on, and for about 10 seconds they had 3 clear on their left, with their corresponding markers about 4 yards behind them, all of them running at full pelt. One of those markers was Buckley, and I remember thinking Buckley will catch these no problem, but he seemed to lose ground not gain. Moments later he was subbed. Clearly not fully fit, and as noted by some was given some pills on his way down the tunnel.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
He's been very over rated this season , sadly he is a player who will never for fill his potential IMO

I hope I'm wrong , I really hope I'm wrong !

I would agree with your comments,, he looked exhausted by the end of the first half and did not commit to one tackle, I know from someone close to this that he often on the treatment table and misses a lot of training. he even does not seem to have that turn of speed that he used to and noticeable after failing to beat the left back against Arsenal all through the first half he didn't come out for the second half. A new contract, a first team place in expectation rather than deliverabilty he is becoming a Lua Lua one trick pony when we have seen better of him. I think its a head thing with Will, but I do think he will fail to reach his potential, and I stand to be corrected.

Dixon had him in his pocket. Superb positioning, Buckley was totally outclassed.

That is complete bolloxs you really haven't got a clue have you

I'm starting to worry about you Ninja,has someone hijacked your account?

He was afraid to run at him and his final ball was terrible. He won some corners, fair play. But you compare this performance to how he played against Leeds earlier in the season... Dixon did well today, fouling him early in the game seemed to knock his confidence. Buckley was disappointing again today, but don't mind me. All I did was WATCH the game, not decide 4-1 = amazing win. Glossed over some decidedly ordinary individual performamces today.

Just checking that you did have your eyes open when you claim you were WATCHING.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
:lolol: Are you trying to be TCB?

Sorry, NE, but if you're not you've shown yourself up there. By no means was Buckley at his best, but he had the better of their left-back, even if it was only marginally. The bloke got booked and arguably could have been sent off. It's a shame Buckley wasn't at his best because he could have completely roasted him. As it was, he troubled him without delivering any fantastic crosses, but won us a lot of corners, free-kicks, gained us a lot of yards and provided a relatively threatening outlet.

Could've, would've, should've. Didn't.

He played his part, but let's not pretend he played well. Although everyone seems determined to do just that. I really don't get it. He had an off game, that's not to say he's shit or anything else. Clearly he's very important to us and on his day he settles matches in our favour. But when was the last time he REALLY played well? It's been a while. He hasn't scored this year. The emergence of Dave has coincided with the demise of Buckley.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
He seems to have lost his extra yard of pace to take him past defenders and the crosses he put in were generally quite poor. I think it showed that he isnt 100% fit.

Jimmy Grimble

He played his part, but let's not pretend he played well. Although everyone seems determined to do just that. I really don't get it. He had an off game, that's not to say he's shit or anything else. Clearly he's very important to us and on his day he settles matches in our favour. But when was the last time he REALLY played well? It's been a while. He hasn't scored this year. The emergence of Dave has coincided with the demise of Buckley.

You're going off tangent. Your initial point was that Dixon 'outclassed' him and had him in his 'pocket'. That's what I was contesting. They are ridiculous statements. I agree that he hasn't been at his best, but that's beside the point and a separate debate. Buckley was decent yesterday and like I said in my previous post, he was better than their left-back, even if it was only marginally.

Dewe-Road-Gull

Jul 11, 2012

Buckley had the best game iv seen him play for ages - you friggin tool!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
You're going off tangent. Your initial point was that Dixon 'outclassed' him and had him in his 'pocket'. That's what I was contesting. They are ridiculous statements. I agree that he hasn't been at his best, but that's beside the point and a separate debate. Buckley was decent yesterday and like I said in my previous post, he was better than their left-back, even if it was only marginally.

I thought Dixon played well in terms of positioning and quietening our biggest threat. On another day, when Buckley is on form, he would probably give him the absolute run around. And with another referee he'd have been booked for the first foul and then it's a totally different game. But as it was, I thought he controlled Buckley well.

It's a real non-issue though, we could all see he wasn't fully fit and the match was almost entirely for him to get a proper run out and play himself back into form. We need him on form for the last few games of the season and without question the run out yesterday will have helped him.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I thought Dixon played well in terms of positioning and quietening our biggest threat. On another day, when Buckley is on form, he would probably give him the absolute run around. And with another referee he'd have been booked for the first foul and then it's a totally different game. But as it was, I thought he controlled Buckley well.

It's a real non-issue though, we could all see he wasn't fully fit and the match was almost entirely for him to get a proper run out and play himself back into form. We need him on form for the last few games of the season and without question the run out yesterday will have helped him.

Well said @Ninja I knew you had it in you---it would have been quicker to just admit defeat a bit earlier tho:wink:

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Buckley played well today, but he is not up to speed yet. At Charlton he was terrible, not at the game at all, not the player he had been but he is improving now and is looking sharper than at Charlton and deserves his place.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Buckley played well today, but he is not up to speed yet. At Charlton he was terrible, not at the game at all, not the player he had been but he is improving now and is looking sharper than at Charlton and deserves his place.

He must be fitter than we all think if he played again today:rolleyes:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Are we a better or worse team when he plays since his last injury?

Personally I think having his as an outlet only works if he runs at players.....I get the impression he has either lost the confidence to beat a man or his injury has taken his turn of speed away.

Certainly today against a decent young full back, he seemed to look to have a go and then cut back in....yet in the past he has destroyed players like him with his pace.

Whatcha think?

Just back from a virus, and clearly could hardly breath by the time he came off. When Barnes came on for Dicker he was pretty much begging Gus to take him off instead.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here