Tonight's controversial thread Buckley

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Saw him downing some pills before he went down the tunnel. Was blowing from early on. Not a bad performance from someone not at 100%

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Not a patch on his former self. Didn't see a lot of the ball so couldn't really impress.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I thought he was excellent. Not quite got his full-speed scampering boots on but he twisted and turned and posed a threat. Didn't devastate, but worked hard and was a vital outlet when we were putting our game together early on. His relationship with Bruno is a sublime one, i think.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
There's being honest and then there's nonsense. He is unfit due to a virus but still played reasonably well. Saying he was totally outclassed is unnecessary imo. Winning corners gave us two goals today.

Nonsense is saying he played well. Very low standards we seem to have set when it should be the opposite. Popular opinion seems to be he played well, but by his standards (ie standards he set last season and when on form this), he wasn't great today. I would be suprised if he himself thought he did well today. Looked unfit, there really is no need to rush him into the team if he isn't ready.

I like Buckley, obviously. But he hasn't played well for a while. We need him in the run in, and to recapture his form he needs games but I don't see any reason to pretend he played well today.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Interesting that the Albion are 'we' just after we've battered your other team Dave.

:wink:

My home town team as opposed to one I have supported since 1974 and followed up and down the country and on European pre season tours you mean?

I think if you would have seen me today you would have realised where my heart lies.

My question as an observation as to why a fit KLL doesn't get a look in over a very unfit Buckley. Not mischief making, just asking for opinions

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
My question as an observation as to why a fit KLL doesn't get a look in over a very unfit Buckley. Not mischief making, just asking for opinions

My only thought is that Gus must think Buckley needs to play his way back into form. Otherwise surely LuaLua would play. Interesting that the decision was to replace Buckley with CMS though...

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
My home town team as opposed to one I have supported since 1974 and followed up and down the country and on European pre season tours you mean?

I think if you would have seen me today you would have realised where my heart lies.

I think you may have missed the significance of the :wink: in my post. :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've said it a begillion times before, so once more can't hurt:-

He misses Calde.

Buckley is half the player when backed up by Bruno, but Bruno isn't twice the player of Calde.

(Although I thought Bruno did pretty well today, certainly better than most of his recent performances).

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Interesting that the decision was to replace Buckley with CMS though...

My thoughts were that Gus was always going to take Ullua off before the end so made sense to send CMS at that point knowing he could later switch to CF.
I also think while CMS played Buckley's role he had a greater variety of runs and the new problem he presented really helped us win the game.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I've said it a begillion times before, so once more can't hurt:-

He misses Calde.

Buckley is half the player when backed up by Bruno, but Bruno isn't twice the player of Calde.

(Although I thought Bruno did pretty well today, certainly better than most of his recent performances).

Calde kept getting beaten in the air by the long diagonal ball..which is a weakness of his....led to there goal today...bruno was far better today and i rate both players as good as each other

fratsomrover

Oct 18, 2011
Hove
Maybe not one of his best games today, but he's a player you cant afford to leave out. Vicente is undoubtedly the player to set him free because he has the vision to see his moves and can put the ball on a plate for him. I also agree he plays better with either Lopez or Calderon behind him. I'm afraid Bruno has gone right off the boil of late. My only criticism of him today was in the second half when Hammond pounced on a mistake and sent a pass to Buckley standing just over the half way line by the dugout. He had a clear run into the box and I was expecting him to race into the area, as of old. But he didn't......... he looked up and overhit an unnecessary pass to Ulloa. That was "passing the buck" because he should have had the confidence to run all the way to the box and either shoot or pass. Think he maybe a little low on confidence.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I thought Buckers had a pretty good 1st half, the quick free kicks and he got some good crosses in, but he seems to have lost a bit of his electifying pace.
Last year he would push the ball inside the full back and just run past him. this season he either has lost a little pace or seems worried that if he tries to put on the after burners his hamstring will go again.
Seemed a bit sluggish 2nd half but is this down to the fact that he has just got over a chest virus, so dont critisise him, he is still a match winner when fully fit.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Calde kept getting beaten in the air by the long diagonal ball..which is a weakness of his....led to there goal today...bruno was far better today and i rate both players as good as each other
Bruno and Buckley don't attack together.

Calde and Buckley had a fantastic understanding, towards the end of last season.
They were both constantly on their toes, give and go, hammering past the full back.

It wasn't fancy, something Bruno is fond of, but is was effective.
Currently the onus is only on Buckley for wing play while Bruno has a tendency to drift inside.

With C & D, it was just 2 eager to please puppies, with too much energy, marauding down the wing.

I will say that policy when they both were enjoying themselves did result in Bridcutt having to play right back, as neither was going back to defend. So I guess you can't have it all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports