Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Today's the day...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
My contract is up for renewal in October so I await this announcement with interest. The headphone jack thing bothers me a little, but if it benefits battery life I'm sure I could live with it. Anyone use bluetooth headphones with their phones? Any good ones out there? I've never used them before.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-Headphones-Mpow-Wireless-Earphones/dp/B00W6VS9CM

41A-rB-lhWL._AC_UL130_.jpg

I use these, I'm on my 2nd pair (after I shut one of the earpieces in the car door). I can't believe how good they are for the price. I absolutely LOVE Bluetooth headphones, perfect for my running, walking and cycling, no annoying wires trailing everywhere. Battery life is around 5-6 hours. I'll never go back to wired.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-Headphones-Mpow-Wireless-Earphones/dp/B00W6VS9CM

I use these, I'm on my 2nd pair (after I shut one of the earpieces in the car door). I can't believe how good they are for the price. I absolutely LOVE Bluetooth headphones, perfect for my running, walking and cycling, no annoying wires trailing everywhere. Battery life is around 5-6 hours. I'll never go back to wired.

Thanks very much for the tip. I will check those bad boys out.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
My contract is up for renewal in October so I await this announcement with interest. The headphone jack thing bothers me a little, but if it benefits battery life I'm sure I could live with it. Anyone use bluetooth headphones with their phones? Any good ones out there? I've never used them before.

Turn off for me is no headphone jack. I don't want to have to buy a decent quality pair of blueteeth headphones as well as a phone. I will though, eventually.

This is an interesting one, isn't it? By all accounts lightning port earphones will be included (one rumour has bluetooth earphones with the Plus model) and there will be a 3.5mm -> lightning converter available (for a ridiculous Apple-taxed price, presumably) so wired remains an option.

What seems likely, however, is that you couldn't both charge your phone and use wired earphones at the same time. That could be a right pain for many.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I made the decision roughly this time last year to leave Apple and join the darkside, Android.

I had heard so many people tell me how much better android was and much better value for money. Eventually i fell for it and switched. Terrible decision. I can only assume those telling me that had never owned an Iphone. Terrible advice.

I have a year left on my contract but i might pay it off early.

Apple, I'm sorry. I want to come back, if you'll have me.

Ugh. As mentioned, I'm no Apple fan, but my ex switched to Android (admittedly Sony) a while back and god it was awful. Say what you want about Apple but the user experience is streets ahead of Android. (Based on my experiences)

100% agreement from me. I have both. A personal iPhone and and an Android work phone. The Android phone is SHITE.

Couldn't agree more. Had an iPhone since the 3 series and been very happy with it. Currently have a 6s and have no plans to move although don't think I'll be upgrading this time round.

Decided it was about time I got a tablet at the end of last year. My prime reason for having one was to watch videos on as I do a lot of travelling so storage space was my number 1 priority. iPads because of their lack of extendable storage were ruled out as I really didn't fancy paying a fortune for the 64gb model. So I got an andriod tablet and it's fecking horrible. Nothing works how you'd expect it to. I've lost count the amount of times I've had to google how to do something because it's not obvious. I had visions when I bought it that I would have it sat on my coffee table and when ever I wanted to quickly look something up I'd use the tablet. It's so clunky and horrible I still just use my laptop.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I made the decision roughly this time last year to leave Apple and join the darkside, Android.

I had heard so many people tell me how much better android was and much better value for money. Eventually i fell for it and switched. Terrible decision. I can only assume those telling me that had never owned an Iphone. Terrible advice.

I have a year left on my contract but i might pay it off early.

Apple, I'm sorry. I want to come back, if you'll have me.

That's interesting.

I switched to Android (HTC ONE) after getting fed up with Apple and ITunes.

I couldn't feel more free.

But of course, each to their own and the iphones as a phone are lovely.

Ultimately the technology has hit a plateau and all the smartphones do BASICALLY the same thing.

When the Iphone first came out thje technology was moving SO QUICK that updates almost felt necessary. Not any more. My 4 year old phone still does everything I want it to.

With Bluetooth (car and home speakers), camera, Internet, Music, Phone, Whatsapp, Maps and Text I don't see what else I need.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Out of interest, when you remark about the quality of the Android handset, what make was it?

Samsung Galaxy. To be fair, I don't know much about phones and have very little interest in them. I even had to google before I posted to check Samsung Galaxy was an android phone before I slated it :lolol:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Thanks very much for the tip. I will check those bad boys out.

I bought pretty much the same pair at the beginning of 2015: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-...0_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=XQNC72SQJ020FYMRSHRB

They've been in a drawer pretty much since then - I've just retrieved them to see if they were the same as yours. The reasons why...

1. They completely fill my ears in the way regular earphones don't. I didn't like the sensation. There will be others that don't do this, I imagine.

2. Yet another thing to have to charge. On about my 4th or 5th run with them, I checked the charge level before going out and they supposedly had plenty. After about 15 minutes they died and that was that. I'm sure I've seen some Bluetooth earphones that can also be used as wired, which is a useful backup to have.

The sound quality was decent enough I thought, although I'm no audiophile.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Samsung Galaxy. To be fair, I don't know much about phones and have very little interest in them. I even had to google before I posted to check Samsung Galaxy was an android phone before I slated it :lolol:

TBF I personally would not have a Samsung by choice either. Each to their own, and glad we live in a free world with SO much choice!

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I bought pretty much the same pair at the beginning of 2015: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-...0_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=XQNC72SQJ020FYMRSHRB

They've been in a drawer pretty much since then - I've just retrieved them to see if they were the same as yours. The reasons why...

1. They completely fill my ears in the way regular earphones don't. I didn't like the sensation. There will be others that don't do this, I imagine.

2. Yet another thing to have to charge. On about my 4th or 5th run with them, I checked the charge level before going out and they supposedly had plenty. After about 15 minutes they died and that was that. I'm sure I've seen some Bluetooth earphones that can also be used as wired, which is a useful backup to have.

I have a similar pair (just purchased the later model of these based upon this thread) and it's the fact that they fill my ear that I like about them. No sound leakage, either in or out. Perfect.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
This is an interesting one, isn't it? By all accounts lightning port earphones will be included (one rumour has bluetooth earphones with the Plus model) and there will be a 3.5mm -> lightning converter available (for a ridiculous Apple-taxed price, presumably) so wired remains an option.

What seems likely, however, is that you couldn't both charge your phone and use wired earphones at the same time. That could be a right pain for many.

I imagine the chinese tat merchants will have a splitter on ebay for about 8p (free postage) within a fortnight. It'll last that long too.
It just seems to be flying in the face of common sense in the name of innovation.
I'd have liked something that was maybe 1-2mm thicker with a bigger battery.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Yours are a different brand to mine, I've never experienced the problems you mention with my MPOW ones.

The one disadvantage for me is that there's no way of knowing how much charge is left in them. You get a "power low" voice warning in your ears, but this is only about 10 minutes before they conk out, so you don't get much warning. I regularly charge them though so its not really an issue for me (they use the standard Android phone charger and I've got a few of those knocking about). I used to carry a pair of wire headphones with me as backup, but never had to resort to them.

As for them filling your ears - personally that's how I like it, but they did come with 3 sizes of earbud . The rubber "wings" hold them in place perfectly, they never slip out, and they come with various sizes as well. These MPOW ones really are one of my best ever purchases.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yours are a different brand to mine, I've never experienced the problems you mention with my MPOW ones.

The one disadvantage for me is that there's no way of knowing how much charge is left in them. You get a "power low" voice warning in your ears, but this is only about 10 minutes before they conk out, so you don't get much warning. I regularly charge them though so its not really an issue for me (they use the standard Android phone charger and I've got a few of those knocking about). I used to carry a pair of wire headphones with me as backup, but never had to resort to them.

As for them filling your ears - personally that's how I like it, but they did come with 3 sizes of earbud . The rubber "wings" hold them in place perfectly, they never slip out, and they come with various sizes as well. These MPOW ones really are one of my best ever purchases.

They'll be the same. I remember looking around when I bought mine and there were numerous versions of the same earphones available both branded and unbranded. They must come out of some Chinese factory and go off to different people who brand/package them as they see fit.

On an iPhone, when you connect a Bluetooth device it shows you a power meter so you are supposed to know how much charge remains. I quickly took the view that it is distinctly unreliable!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I have a similar pair (just purchased the later model of these based upon this thread) and it's the fact that they fill my ear that I like about them. No sound leakage, either in or out. Perfect.

I've just popped them in my ears. I feel like I'm underwater!

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
The wench has arranged us to go out for dinner with her friends tonight. She clearly doesn't understand the enormity of this. I shall be glued to my iPhone 6s for updates. I cannot wait. I shall be upgrading to the next iPhone, I am tempted by an Apple watch, not being someone who uses a watch, but I do have a Garmin computer for the bike which has a wrist strap for running but I find it too bulky (Garmin 500)

This year is also the year that my Mid 2011 MacBook Air is replaced. It's been amazing, the battery has only just started to degrade and recently it's been getting very hot and the fans running at their maximum when I'm streaming videos (probably a fix but it's a good reason to retire it in my eyes)

The wench would also appreciate a new iPhone and iPad Pro to replace our old house iPad.

I am really hoping the latest iOS allows profiles, there are talks of this, iOS for education has a feature similar to this, but how many households share an iPad? This would be great. Please make it happen.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
It's been a year but today is the day that Apple unveil their new baby to an eagerly-watching world.

View attachment 77716

- The removal of the headphone jack.
- The biggest battery capacity boost on an iPhone ever (due to space saved by the removal of the headphone jack).
- Another speaker and/or microphone on the bottom of the phone where the headphone jack used to be.

Must have been a bl**dy big headphone jack

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The wench has arranged us to go out for dinner with her friends tonight. She clearly doesn't understand the enormity of this. I shall be glued to my iPhone 6s for updates. I cannot wait. I shall be upgrading to the next iPhone, I am tempted by an Apple watch, not being someone who uses a watch, but I do have a Garmin computer for the bike which has a wrist strap for running but I find it too bulky (Garmin 500)

This year is also the year that my Mid 2011 MacBook Air is replaced. It's been amazing, the battery has only just started to degrade and recently it's been getting very hot and the fans running at their maximum when I'm streaming videos (probably a fix but it's a good reason to retire it in my eyes)

The wench would also appreciate a new iPhone and iPad Pro to replace our old house iPad.

I am really hoping the latest iOS allows profiles, there are talks of this, iOS for education has a feature similar to this, but how many households share an iPad? This would be great. Please make it happen.

You sound like my kind of man. Mac updates to both the Pro and Air are due too, but they may not be announced today. I'll be keeping an eye on that too.

iOS 10 has been out in beta form for a while - I'm pretty sure there's no user profile functionality I'm sorry to say.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If they don't release something the size of an SE, I won't be interested whatever else is included. Iphone 6 is too big imo.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here