Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Today's the day...

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
ah, the well known moto Z. fraid that one passed me by, looks like an engineering driven device with the 3.5mm removed to minimise thinness. iphone 7 isnt losing any size, they are increasing complexity, net gain?

It isn't losing size, because they are utilizing the saved space to increase the battery size / life, no?

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Didn't pre-order, sounded like queueing up may be fruitless for the Plus so I'm new-phone-less.

Who did get one?

Can I ask a question. I remember that you previously discarded certain Android handsets as you deemed them too large for actions such as one handed texting or being able to reach apps at the top of the screen. What's changed to make a Plus an acceptable size?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Can I ask a question. I remember that you previously discarded certain Android handsets as you deemed them too large for actions such as one handed texting or being able to reach apps at the top of the screen. What's changed to make a Plus an acceptable size?

Like many I guess, I didn't think I wanted a bigger phone until I got one. I got the 6 two years ago and the "blimey, this is massive" wears off pretty quickly.

I'm going to go for the Plus this time round with the key reasons being the better camera and longer battery life (My eyes are also getting worse and I have fat fingers). I expect to find it feels huge for a few days and then I won't even notice after a few days.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Can someone just rock up to the Apple store today and pick one up?
Or will they be likely to be sold out early on today?

No walk-ups which is why I didn't bother...

"The iPhone 7 is going on sale in 28 countries on Friday, the biggest launch of the phone yet. In keeping with tradition, Apple Stores in most major cities have been swamped by queues, some of which started days ago.

Round-the-corner queues are the norm despite Apple selling out of the new iPhone in many places. Apple said on Thursday that the iPhone 7 Plus will not be available to any walk-in customers, as will any iPhone in the new jet black colour scheme.

In London, Apple's store at Covent Garden has told customers that supply shortages mean they will not be able to buy any iPhones (the other flagship on Regent Street is closed for refurbishment). This hasn't stopped some eager queuers, though."

MORE > http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...queues-at-apple-stores-as-sales-begin---live/

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
No walk-ups which is why I didn't bother...

"The iPhone 7 is going on sale in 28 countries on Friday, the biggest launch of the phone yet. In keeping with tradition, Apple Stores in most major cities have been swamped by queues, some of which started days ago.

Round-the-corner queues are the norm despite Apple selling out of the new iPhone in many places. Apple said on Thursday that the iPhone 7 Plus will not be available to any walk-in customers, as will any iPhone in the new jet black colour scheme.

In London, Apple's store at Covent Garden has told customers that supply shortages mean they will not be able to buy any iPhones (the other flagship on Regent Street is closed for refurbishment). This hasn't stopped some eager queuers, though."

MORE > http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...queues-at-apple-stores-as-sales-begin---live/

When would you anticipate that walk-ups would be possible?

I wasn't too bothered initially, however looking into the pay monthly thing (with Apple Care bundled), has piqued my interest. Especially if they'll also P/Ex my current phone.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Probably opening myself up for ridicule.
As an Android user for many years, what's the deal with 'iphones'?
Are they better, or just personal choice?

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Am I the only one wondering why everyone needs to have anything the instant it hits the shops? Rather than get into turmoil just take your time, convince yourself it's not going on sale until January, buy one in October and feel good you've jumped the queue. :shrug:

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
I must be getting old because I'm not really that interested anymore, I have a 6 plus which I bought online when it came out, I didn't Q overnight for it or anything and that was the first time since the iPhone4 came out that I wasn't scrabbling about for a phone on the release day. I guess i've come to the conclusion that this is just a marketing ploy to garner interest in their product and all this pre-order hype and long Q's make good headlines. If Apple really wanted to they would have millions of these phones ready in the store on the right day, ultimately it's a con. Cynic ???

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

A few years ago, the iPhone had quite a lead, at least on the quality of the software but Google worked hard with their 'Project Butter' etc to make Android truly competitive. Now, I'd say it really is just about personal choice. These threads nearly always include people posting how "Android is light years ahead of Apple" and/or how "my phone can do lots that an iPhone" can't. I really don't get it. All modern smartphones are incredibly powerful tools and I don't believe there is any vast chasm between them.

Why I choose iPhones...

i) Habit/familiarity. Other than a brief try of an Android phone for a few months, an iPhone is all I've had.
ii) We're an Apple house. Multiple iPhones, iPads, Macbook Airs, a Mac mini, an AppleTV and a time capsule. And it all gets on well with one another without me having to do anything. I'm lazy and this stuff means I can be lazy.
iii) Customer service, globally, is about as good as it gets. When I dropped my iPhone on the stone floor of a bar in New York one evening and cracked the screen, I was able to make an appointment at the Apple Store in Grand Central Station for 7am the next morning, using the Apple Store app on my phone. I walked out of that store before 7:30am with a repaired phone (it may have actually been a new phone that they swapped - I can't remember). If I had a UK bought Samsung phone - could I have done this? Possibly, I don't know. But it's hard to believe the experience could have been much better/slicker.

Am I the only one wondering why everyone needs to have anything the instant it hits the shops? Rather than get into turmoil just take your time, convince yourself it's not going on sale until January, buy one in October and feel good you've jumped the queue. :shrug:

My phone is all but dead for self-inflicted reasons. I need to change it. Otherwise I'd agree and I'd sit tight with what I have.

I must be getting old because I'm not really that interested anymore, I have a 6 plus which I bought online when it came out, I didn't Q overnight for it or anything and that was the first time since the iPhone4 came out that I wasn't scrabbling about for a phone on the release day. I guess i've come to the conclusion that this is just a marketing ploy to garner interest in their product and all this pre-order hype and long Q's make good headlines. If Apple really wanted to they would have millions of these phones ready in the store on the right day, ultimately it's a con. Cynic ???

They will have sold millions today. Guaranteed.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I've dabbled between both, ultimately I've ended up with an iPhone. Personally I find them very easy to use and I have never had a major problem (touch wood) with any of my devices. I did step away for a while when I thought a bigger phone was the way forward and Apple didn't do such a model, but I didn't particularly enjoy such a beast in my pocket or for single hand useage, fortunately Apple now produces normal size handsets again that are packed with tech and don't cost much money. I've got a 5se and it's a really good bit of kit. As much I can't stand the sycophantic following I can't see myself going back to Android.

Last edited:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Customer service, globally, is about as good as it gets. When I dropped my iPhone on the stone floor of a bar in New York one evening and cracked the screen, I was able to make an appointment at the Apple Store in Grand Central Station for 7am the next morning, using the Apple Store app on my phone. I walked out of that store before 7:30am with a repaired phone

That's sounds good, I never had this sort of service with Virgin, a couple of years ago when my screen cracked after falling out of my pocket, had to wait for new phone through post.
I guess that if you pay for good money for an item, then you should expect the same expectation of service in return!
IPhone is on my list to have one day, but in reality there are more important things to pay for, as in getting shot of my bloody mortgage :)
One can dream :)

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Still using my 5 having gone back to it after a rather ill-advised dabble with samsung. I will be getting the 7 and looking forward to it whatever it may bring.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here