Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Todays Penalty ....

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Not a pen for me.

Mar 9, 2008
It was never a penalty but what concerns me more is that Barnes is now back on penalty duty. He got very lucky with his poor penalty yesterday and it could cost us in future games.

Agreed. Absolutely shocking penalty. The fact that the keeper almost got a hand to it is an absolute disgrace. Barnes should be banned from the penalty area in future.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Was a decent penalty for our 2nd choice taker. I'm sure it must've happened, but I don't think that I've ever seen one saved that is smacked straight down the middle of the goal.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
100% penalty just like the shove against Upson 20 minutes earlier, Morgan is just an idiot and lucky to stay on the pitch.

You can't push people when they jump for a ball.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Looked soft at the time but having seen it back on TV it's a clear penalty. Barnes get goal side and Morgan shoves him over.
Not sure how Morgan managed to get away so many times with climbing all over Barnes but it made the penalty all the better that the ref finally gave a decision against him.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It was never a penalty but what concerns me more is that Barnes is now back on penalty duty. He got very lucky with his poor penalty yesterday and it could cost us in future games.

He took the penalty because Spanish Dave had been subbed. I know he took a penalty recently but that doesn't make him first choice in future games so don't get too concerned.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Have to say I didn't see it that clearly from the south end of WSU but if anyone has seen the replay on the telly I can't see how you can suggest it wasn't a penalty. Barnes is goal side of the defender and ready to head towards goal when Morgan clatters through the back of him. It's not even shoulder to shoulder. However, it wasn't too dis-similar to when l on Brezovan being barged in the back when he was letting the ball run out of play and ended up conceding a corner. You could equally argue that it denied a goal scoring opportunity (to put another cat amongst the pigeons!).

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Pushing a forward in the back in the box is a penalty, I don't see how anyone can dispute it or say it's soft, even if it was Barnes being pushed and you don't like him :smile:

Absolutely nailed on penalty as was the push on Upson

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
. However, it wasn't too dis-similar to when l on Brezovan being barged in the back when he was letting the ball run out of play and ended up conceding a corner. You could equally argue that it denied a goal scoring opportunity (to put another cat amongst the pigeons!).

Another bad bit of refereeing, the player pushed Brez in the back and made him kick the ball out, how can that possibly end up as a corner?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Looked soft at the time but having seen it back on TV it's a clear penalty. Barnes get goal side and Morgan shoves him over.
/QUOTE]

Totally agree. Best angle is the main camera. Morgan wouldn't have been able to head it if he hadn't stuck his shoulder in Barnes's back first.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Morgan can't win the ball by being behind Barnes, was a blatant push in the back. Blatant penalty

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
This is yet another grey area in football rules - when does a shoulder barge become a push?

Many refs would have given Brez the foul, in the same way many would have denied Barnes the penalty.

To not be a push it's supposed to be shoulder to shoulder in playing distance of the ball.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
This is yet another grey area in football rules - when does a shoulder barge become a push?

Many refs would have given Brez the foul, in the same way many would have denied Barnes the penalty.

Except it was a shove in the back not a shoulder barge.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
The ref was dreadful. In stark contrast to the Prem ref at Bournemouth, who was decent.
Got every single decision wrong second half so have to assume that penalty shouldn't have been given.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Because it has to be shoulder to shoulder and even then if it is too 'robust' a lot of refs give a foul.

The ref was dreadful. In stark contrast to the Prem ref at Bournemouth, who was decent.
Got every single decision wrong second half so have to assume that penalty shouldn't have been given.

Have to ask, were you at the game? How was is a push in the back not a penalty. Granted, there were a few decisions that were wrong, Upson penalty shout, push on Brezovan.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
A challenge isn't fine just because it involves shoulders, nor is it a foul just because there are no shoulders involved. It is, like with other fouls, about whether the barge/push/nudge was careless, reckless, used excessive force or could be interpreted as unsporting/impeding an opponent.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Have to ask, were you at the game? How was is a push in the back not a penalty. Granted, there were a few decisions that were wrong, Upson penalty shout, push on Brezovan.

I thought it was a pen, but have based my decision on the ineptness of the official.
How about the yellow for Kaz vs their right back staying on the pitch?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I thought it was a pen, but have based my decision on the ineptness of the official.
How about the yellow for Kaz vs their right back staying on the pitch?

I saw the replay on the press screen on that incident, the defender 100% won the ball and it would have been harsh to give a second yellow. My first instinct was sending off though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here