Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Todays Penalty ....

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Do you mean the strong challenge that was actually the sort that if he'd been booked or sent off people would be bemoaning the sanitation of the game, the way tackles are becoming illegal. I thought that was a good, strong, challenge. Or you you mean that one where Barnes was taking it to the corner to run the clock down and when their guy on a yellow, already had his final warning, touched barnes and barnes fell over and got a free kick? Because getting a second yellow, even if you're on a final warning for something like that would be ridiculous.

From the back of the North I agree with you. Good strong challenge.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
I hope this helps.

article-0-02ABCC2D000004B0-130_468x440.jpg

action-man.jpg

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Ref lost the plot in the second half. Bottled some big decisions imo their left back should have been off after that tackle on Barnes by the corner flag.

Absolutely THIS. I commented that the officials had been generally very good in the first 45, but then completely lost the plot thereafter. Pearson should be thankful his team didn't end the game with 9 after the shite behaviour we all witnessed during the second half. Talented side, but a bunch of dirty *******s when things don't go the way they want to. I look forward to them being the perennial chokers yet again come the end of this campaign. :thumbsup:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
So you're judging it by who was fouled, and by what you'd told yourself he'd been doing before that?

Brilliant.

Not quite. I said it might be. I thought it was soft, the first few posters to reply suggested they thought it was nailed on. I was just putting forward an explanation that might explain why I thought it was soft when so many were saying nailed on.

Of course it could be me trying to look at these incidents without an Albion bias, whereas those other replies were typical football fans thinking every decision in their favour is absolutely correct and every decision against their team is the worst injustice ever. But it seemed a bit to egotistical to suggest I alone was able to assess the incident fairly, so I humbly went with the 'maybe I'm wrong' tactic.

Last edited:

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
I thought it was a foul. The penalty wasn't the best. But I'm glad for Ashley he is doing well now just before ulloa comes back.

Twinkle Toes

Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Not quite. I said it might be. I thought it was soft, the first few posters to reply suggested they thought it was nailed on. I was just putting forward an explanation that might explain why I thought it was soft when so many were saying nailed on.

Of course it could be me trying to look at these incidents without an Albion bias, whereas those other replies were typical football fans thinking every decision in their favour is absolutely correct and every decision against their team is the worst injustice ever.

I take it you actually witnessed the 2-footed launch/lunge by their LB by the corner flag in the second half (which the Ref somehow decided wasn't even a foul)?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Soft. When given for you, it's "stonewall", when given against you it's a terrible decision.

Upson one was more a penalty.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I take it you actually witnessed the 2-footed launch/lunge by their LB by the corner flag in the second half (which the Ref somehow decided wasn't even a foul)?

I did (I mentioned it in an earlier post in this thread). I'm not too far away from it, and to be honest I didn't think it was a foul, and neither did the guy beside me. Or the ref, if we're talking about the same incident.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I thought it was soft. Maybe that's because it was barnes and he had been throwing himself to the ground a lot throughout the game making me think it was just another barnes fall.

So you're judging it by who was fouled, and by what you'd told yourself he'd been doing before that?

Brilliant.

I've actually read it all now. Barnes was immense today. If there is any more thankless job than playing up front on your own in football I don't know it. You get kicked to bits by not one but two opponents and, yet, the second you go down you're "throwing yourself to the ground".

It's not just the 2 goals. It's the all round performance. Thanks TLO for a bit of sense.

Twinkle Toes

Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I did (I mentioned it in an earlier post in this thread). I'm not too far away from it, and to be honest I didn't think it was a foul, and neither did the guy beside me. Or the ref, if we're talking about the same incident.

Well if it was the same incident (although I'm not convinced it was tbh), you couldn't have seen it. The challange I'm talking about was a straight Red. No question. No argument. No excuses. Two-footed challenge by their RB down by the North/West Stand corner after he'd been skinned.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Well if it was the same incident (although I'm not convinced it was tbh), you couldn't have seen it. The challange I'm talking about was a straight Red. No question. No argument. No excuses. Two-footed challenge by their RB down by the North/West Stand corner after he'd been skinned.

The one I'm thinking of was right in the corner (there were two in the corner, one when time wasting in injury time that was a slight nudge in the back, the other one was shortly after their number 27 took out one of our players after the ball had gone out of play and he ref gave him a talking to and a final warning - if that's the challenge, about 20 yards from the byline on the left wing (as we attacked) you're talking about rather than either in the corner I would say a straight red would have been a bit harsh, but I wouldn't argue against it, but should have got a yellow which would have been his second and he'd have been off anyway).

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I've actually read it all now. Barnes was immense today. If there is any more thankless job than playing up front on your own in football I don't know it. You get kicked to bits by not one but two opponents and, yet, the second you go down you're "throwing yourself to the ground".

It's not just the 2 goals. It's the all round performance. Thanks TLO for a bit of sense.

Ignoring that you've not read it all, if you had you would have seen my response to TLO's comments, and that in the ratings thread I have rated barnes highest, and that I'm certainly not failing to give him credit (and you will have also seen the many barnes threads here over the years when I'm often defending him). But he does throw himself to the ground too often. That doesn't mean he is never fouled, of course, but just because you work hard and get fouled sometimes, doesn't mean you're free from criticism when you throw yourself to the ground. Unless of course you want to be a typical football fan who freely criticises other teams' players when they dive or go to ground easily, but blindly defend it when it's your own team.

He did get fouled a few times, but a significant number of times he is on the floor through choice, not because he is force to ground by opponents' fouls. I make no apologies for acknowledging that.

Twinkle Toes

Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
The one I'm thinking of was right in the corner (there were two in the corner, one when time wasting in injury time that was a slight nudge in the back, the other one was shortly after their number 27 took out one of our players after the ball had gone out of play and he ref gave him a talking to and a final warning - if that's the challenge, about 20 yards from the byline on the left wing (as we attacked) you're talking about rather than either in the corner I would say a straight red would have been a bit harsh, but I wouldn't argue against it, but should have got a yellow which would have been his second and he'd have been off anyway).

You're right, they were seperate incidents. But a 2-footed launch towards the ball is precisely the type of challenge that should result in a straight Red these days (& possibly even in the relatively distant past). Their No. 27 should also have been sent off after an earlier yellow card - followed by a final warning - & a clear second yellow for the challenge you mention. The Ref bottled it.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Ignoring that you've not read it all, if you had you would have seen my response to TLO's comments, and that in the ratings thread I have rated barnes highest, and that I'm certainly not failing to give him credit (and you will have also seen the many barnes threads here over the years when I'm often defending him). But he does throw himself to the ground too often. That doesn't mean he is never fouled, of course, but just because you work hard and get fouled sometimes, doesn't mean you're free from criticism when you throw yourself to the ground. Unless of course you want to be a typical football fan who freely criticises other teams' players when they dive or go to ground easily, but blindly defend it when it's your own team.

He did get fouled a few times, but a significant number of times he is on the floor through choice, not because he is force to ground by opponents' fouls. I make no apologies for acknowledging that.

i think you are wrong re the fouled a few times and a significant number of times he was on the floor through his own choice, as regards to the game today it was the opposite....but then its just an opinion

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I thought Morgan had twice the strength of El-Abd, but a tenth of the ball-skills. A talentless hoof-hog of a beast at the back who'll give away pens on a number of occasions.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
It was never a penalty but what concerns me more is that Barnes is now back on penalty duty. He got very lucky with his poor penalty yesterday and it could cost us in future games.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here