Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Today's officials

briref

Aug 12, 2008
Regardless whether a ref thinks a team has a reputation or not ,when a player kicks another player in the penalty area and he goes down or pulls a players shirt in the box to stop him jumping it is a penalty in my book ...or should the ref and assistant think about the decision and then say .....well they have got a reputation so its a no from me .The officials were just not consistent and that is what irritates supporters and players.

2nd point
you are not going to talk any ref to go out there and start giving penalty after penalty for shirt pull after shirt pull.
we see these decisions in every single game and they are not giving.

This is not down to Mr East, the issue is much bigger.

briref

Aug 12, 2008
Absolutely clueless. We had two nailed on penalties not given and a shout for a third one but what cost us just as much was that dreadful, in fact more than dreadful challenge for their penalty. Clueless. Diving in, he didnt even get close to ball and cleaned him out. Sunday league standard, in fact it wasnt even that. But yes how the refs missed two blatant and one probable penalty is beyond me. So what was worse that challenge o=r the ref? Maybe the ref just shades it but its bloody close as they were both crap.

There was one NAILED on penalty all night - and that was correctly awarded to Derby County

briref

Aug 12, 2008
The decision to give them a free kick when their player was basically hugging Ulloa in the box was ridiculous

i totally agree.
I have stuck up for him for most things.

But, you stop our corner to have a word with the attacker and defender.

Normal stats would say:
0 times out of a 1,000 attacking team get a penalty
750/1,000 defensive free kick
250/1,000 play on

He choose to give the defensive free kick - but from West Stand Upper the defender had a good good chunk of Ulloa's shirt and if anything should be a penalty.
I am not sure what he saw from his angle.

FriendlyRam

May 4, 2014
Have to say as Rams fan it will come as no surprise but I thought the referee was fine. A touch inconsistent but in my opinion, and it's just my opinion and trying to remain neutral I thought the result was not at all influenced by his performance.

Your penalty claims? Yes, I could see the one in the first half given. I wouldn't have been happy because I would have thought it soft but I'd have grudgingly accepted it. If it was at the other end and not given I'd probably have a little grumble but it's just one of those borderline ones.

Anyway, don't shoot me. I think the others are nothing claims.

Ours was undeniably a penalty. TV replays couldn't make it any clearer. It was such a terribly timed tackle. With timing like that I'm surprised Upson made the game on time.

briref

Aug 12, 2008
The game was too big for them. With so many dead rubbers left in the Premier League, they should have used a top division referee.

Which they did.

The best you can get in England is a premiership ref - HE WAS

briref

Aug 12, 2008
I blame the fact we only played for 18 minutes - we were lucky to keep it at 2-1

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I blame the fact we only played for 18 minutes - we were lucky to keep it at 2-1

Thats harsh.

We matched them for the first 25 minutes. They were exceptional for the next 20. In the second half we matched them and during the second part were the only team in it. We just don't have enough of an attacking mindset or an end product.

gully1984

May 3, 2014
Fed up of reading comments slating our team. Do you not think we are too expectant? We have done well and fighting for promotion. Give the team a break

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
2nd point
you are not going to talk any ref to go out there and start giving penalty after penalty for shirt pull after shirt pull.
we see these decisions in every single game and they are not giving.

This is not down to Mr East, the issue is much bigger.

No your not I agree ,it doesnt make it right but it goes on ,but in the box when a player wants to jump in a goal scoring position then yes of course it should be given ,its an infringement simple as .The officials were told a few seasons back to crack down on this sort of thing ,clearly they were just referring to the prema donna league

doug7126

Apr 13, 2008
Aldershot
He got theirs right I agree but it must if been at the south end for our shout as I can't remember seeing anything wrong in the north penalty box

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
very poor officials - hope we don't have the same ones for the second leg unless they realise that they gave us nothing!

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Quite. The incident where March was being completely manhandled by Sammon whilst trying to give him the runaround right in front of that lino's and he gave nothing stands out to me. Ref in the end got that decision right, gave a free kick and a yellow card to Sammon.

That was the one which stood out to me as well. How the lino wasn't going to give that is beyond me.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
No complaints about Derby's penalty but I hear that the Derby media team were pretty apologetic to Albion staff post-game about the officiating that saw us not receive at least one penalty.

Read into that what you will.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I've not seen any yet. On the night, theirs were stone wall, I thought ours looked like we were looking for it. Leaving the game I didn't think the officials got a lot wrong...

Definite penalty on Calde but he went down a bit theatrically and gave the ref an oportunity to turn it down. Their penalty was stonewall. The ball was in Surrey by the time Upson hit him. Decision to award a foul against Ulloa when he was being bearhugged in the box was just extraordinary.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here