Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Today's game (Merged) - NOW CALLED OFF

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Games will still get called off at Falmer regardless of the undersoil heating , as they will have to take into account crowd safety and pedestrian/transport access issues.

My point was the game would not be called off because of a frozen pitch

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Sorry acker but dont agree at all. The complete badger is completely right. The club have got both decisions wrong on all counts. The Colchester game was called off early despite all forecast indications saying a thaw was on the cards and improved weather conditions. Today they leave it till the last minute despite the Temperature naturally getting lower as darkness descends. I had work colleagues at 2pm telling me it was snowing in surrey. I looked up and and the clouds were moving southwards. Guess what? An hour later it snowed! f*** me it dont take a genius to work these things out. What makes me laugh is there are club lovers on here who think they can do no wrong. People were saying before that colchester game "oh but we better look out for the Colchester fans and people who travel from a far". Well them same dim faced idiots are now still sticking by the clubs decision today. Well what happened to the welfare of Notts County fans then? Not to mention the 1000s of people that had all left home for a pointless excersise. Sorry but i love BHA as much as the next person but the club have truley F&cked up AGAIN, and if they want me to help them and advise when and when not to call a game off then im available free of charge. Cos someone sure aint doing there job very well. It may well of been the ref that finally called it off but the club has offered its fans no help whatsoever. God help us at falmer. Complete joke

There have been games played in snowy conditions in the past, and there will be games played in snowy conditions in the future so that alone is not enough to call off a game. At 3pm today there wasn't any snow in Brighton, a small amount fell but wasn't enough to call the game off because of it alone

This match was called off by Referee Phil Crossley because was unhappy with a frosty patch in the penalty box at the west end of the stadium. It does not say or imply that the whole pitch was frozen, the FCUM game in Bury was played when the temperature was lower than it is here in Sussex and the pitch there didn't freeze up during the game.

Therefore they were right to leave it as late as they did before it got to a stage where it was decided to call it off it they honestly believed that they could have played tonight. The club have to consider everyone who will be coming to the game, the home and away supporters and the players from both teams - just because a few supporters don't want to go because its cold and a little slippery doesn't mean that it should automatically called off, they have to consider those who have already travelled

Undoubtably if they made a decision to call it off when the first few flurries appeared today and the conditions were such that the game could have gone ahead don't you think fans like the complete badger would be criticising them for calling it off unneccessarily, like they did with the recent Colchester game - a case of your damned if you do and your damned if you don't.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Not just benefit of hindsight- this is a real shanbles and a poor way to treat fans/customers

Including the ones who have travelled a long way already for the match? don't they count for anything when people make the decision whether to go ahead or not, especially when there is a chance the game could go ahead meaning they didn't have a wasted trip - For example the Notts County fans would have left long before there was any snow down here and some may have already arrived in Brighton before the first flurries?

calling it off early would have meant they would still have had a wasted journey

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Looking at the weather forecast it seemed fecking obvious that the game would not be playable due to the pitch. Could have been announced yesterday ffs. Shambles.

I find it odd, that on both the recent postponement decisions, nobody at the club has taken proper notice of the local weather forecast. On both occasions, had they done so, more sensible decisions would have been made...i.e..Colchester....wait until the Saturday morning....and notts County, a decision could and should have been made earlier.

Jello

He's Not A Jelly Belly
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Colchester called off early = people moan
Notts County called off as late as possible = people moan
Club can't win :shrug:

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
There have been games played in snowy conditions in the past, and there will be games played in snowy conditions in the future so that alone is not enough to call off a game. At 3pm today there wasn't any snow in Brighton, a small amount fell but wasn't enough to call the game off because of it alone

This match was called off by Referee Phil Crossley because was unhappy with a frosty patch in the penalty box at the west end of the stadium. It does not say or imply that the whole pitch was frozen, the FCUM game in Bury was played when the temperature was lower than it is here in Sussex and the pitch there didn't freeze up during the game.

Therefore they were right to leave it as late as they did before it got to a stage where it was decided to call it off it they honestly believed that they could have played tonight. The club have to consider everyone who will be coming to the game, the home and away supporters and the players from both teams - just because a few supporters don't want to go because its cold and a little slippery doesn't mean that it should automatically called off, they have to consider those who have already travelled

Undoubtably if they made a decision to call it off when the first few flurries appeared today and the conditions were such that the game could have gone ahead don't you think fans like the complete badger would be criticising them for calling it off unneccessarily, like they did with the recent Colchester game - a case of your damned if you do and your damned if you don't.

You seriously need to read my post again. Can you not see the Colchester game was called off too early and tonights game was called off too late?
Im starting to think you are the Withdean groundsman, and if you are, RESIGN NOW PLEASE.
So if you are saying to me the Roads are fine, the paths are fine, the stadium is fine, the teams and officials are fine, even 3/4's of the pitch is fine but JUST one goalmouth is frozen then im guessing that goalmouth doesnt recieve the same sunlight that the rest of the pitch recieves??? If thats the case then fine, i'd expect my groundsman to be fully aware of this and take every precaution to ensure that this one small area of the pitch recieves the extra care and attention that is required, whether that be covers, heat lamps or f&cking heated blankets for all i care. How the hell does this suggest the club have looked into the interest of anyone?
We are meant to be a proffesional club and you telling me a stretch of 18 yards of grass allows this game to be called off, and we should just accept it and so oh well. Joke.

sotonseagull

Feb 8, 2008
southampton
Absolutely disgraceful handling of the situation as usual. I'm not bothered. I live five minutes away, we'll have a better squad in Jan/Feb and I can do something else tonight anyway. But for everybody who is travelling from outside Sussex, including the Notts County fans, that is a joke way to postpone a match. How can you say it's on all day and then postpone it 80 minutes before kick off? If in doubt, call it off at 3pm. It's December. It's England. It's snowing. Why is it only us that has got a retard doing the maths?

Couldn't agree more fella. I got on the edge of Brighton having travelled from Southampton - and have just got back. F***ing joke and after seeing if the pitch inspection passed I'm very pissed off. Crap handling of things. These Muppets must surely know when a pitch is playable or not - at least a couple of hours b4 kick off. Rubbish. Utter rubbish.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
What could the groundsman have done about the further plunging temperatures, which would have frozen more and more of the pitch as the game went on ?

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
Colchester called off early = people moan
Notts County called off as late as possible = people moan
Club can't win :shrug:

OMG

Yes because they have done it the wrong way round and F&cked up on bot occasions.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I got exactly where I am now.

Everyone sounds a bit tetchy - its nearly Christmas.........

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Couldn't agree more fella. I got on the edge of Brighton having travelled from Southampton - and have just got back. F***ing joke and after seeing if the pitch inspection passed I'm very pissed off. Crap handling of things. These Muppets must surely know when a pitch is playable or not - at least a couple of hours b4 kick off. Rubbish. Utter rubbish.

So why have games started in the past when the pitch is deemed playable only for the match to be abandoned ? shouldn't they have known better and called it off hours in advance?

Or can't things change in a short space of time and the club have to be psychic and know what exactly is going to happen and when - they had covers on the pitch to stop it from freezing and they might have worked and we could have been there watching the game right now.

By all accounts it was still in the balance as to whether they played or not but decided to call it off - it wasn't as clear cut as you are making out and definitely wouldn't have been obvious at 16:30 if they had worked or not. The pitch is white due to snow, not frost and it is possible to play in snow.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
OMG

Yes because they have done it the wrong way round and F&cked up on bot occasions.

That's subjective. At least for tonight. They left it late because they wanted the game to go ahead, and it very nearly did. If it nearly did go ahead and the referee is making a guess based on what he thinks is likely to happen, rather than conditions as they are (as it seems - the concern is that the pitch will become unplayable, not that it currently is), then how can the club be criticised?

Seriously. If the pitch is playable every time they look at it throughout the day, and weather reports are conflicting (check the notts county - will it sell out/will it be on threads, you'll see conflicting/constantly changing forecasts), should they call it off early? A playable pitch and no guarantee of such a severe drop in temperature? I don't think they should.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
You seriously need to read my post again. Can you not see the Colchester game was called off too early and tonights game was called off too late?
Im starting to think you are the Withdean groundsman, and if you are, RESIGN NOW PLEASE.
So if you are saying to me the Roads are fine, the paths are fine, the stadium is fine, the teams and officials are fine, even 3/4's of the pitch is fine but JUST one goalmouth is frozen then im guessing that goalmouth doesnt recieve the same sunlight that the rest of the pitch recieves??? If thats the case then fine, i'd expect my groundsman to be fully aware of this and take every precaution to ensure that this one small area of the pitch recieves the extra care and attention that is required, whether that be covers, heat lamps or f&cking heated blankets for all i care. How the hell does this suggest the club have looked into the interest of anyone?
We are meant to be a proffesional club and you telling me a stretch of 18 yards of grass allows this game to be called off, and we should just accept it and so oh well. Joke.

Your right, your post does read like a joke :thumbsup:

Having been out in it in Lewes (similar conditions judging by the photos / accounts), there may be snow on the ground but that doesn't make it unsafe - if it was sheet ice that would be a different matter, but the snow would have to melt and refreeze for that to happen which was very unlikely

They had staff there who could have cleared the stands of snow and put grit down before fans arrived if the game was on, Papa smurf or whatever his name is (weather expert) stated that there was a snow fall due about 16:50 but after that it should be clear - this arrived and lasted about 4 minutes at Withdean according to posters on here.

Sotonseagull got most of the way to Brighton as did a fwe other fans without incident - journey times may have been longer but providing people were sensible the main routes weren't that bad (hold ups due to crashes not impassable roads)

So was it really as bad out there or did people prefer to play it ultra safe as we live in a H&S mentality run world?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Your right, your post does read like a joke :thumbsup:

Having been out in it in Lewes (similar conditions judging by the photos / accounts), there may be snow on the ground but that doesn't make it unsafe - if it was sheet ice that would be a different matter, but the snow would have to melt and refreeze for that to happen which was very unlikely

They had staff there who could have cleared the stands of snow and put grit down before fans arrived if the game was on, Papa smurf or whatever his name is (weather expert) stated that there was a snow fall due about 16:50 but after that it should be clear - this arrived and lasted about 4 minutes at Withdean according to posters on here.

Sotonseagull got most of the way to Brighton as did a fwe other fans without incident - journey times may have been longer but providing people were sensible the main routes weren't that bad (hold ups due to crashes not impassable roads)

So was it really as bad out there or did people prefer to play it ultra safe as we live in a H&S mentality run world?

Took me almost 2 hours to get home from Crawley..... I would say there was pretty bad delays.

Tomnorthi

Jan 2, 2010
BN15
State of the pitch:

Attachments

• IMGP3876.JPG
    IMGP3876.JPG
    320.7 KB · Views: 659
  • IMGP3880.JPG
    IMGP3880.JPG
    374.7 KB · Views: 240

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports