Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Toby Agdestein strangeness.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
It's live free on BT sport. I might tune in at 9.28 to watch his performance.

They have some cracking matches on BT Sport don't they?!?!

TBF I suppose it is a derby match.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
2 floodlight failures since half time. One more and the match will be abandoned, denying Toby his two minutes of action. :down:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Noticed yesterday he said he was going to an English club but no actual signing announced.
Guess he has a trial somewhere. :shrug:

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
I'd seen that as well, and had always assumed it was for time-wasting purposes. But to do that at 4-0 down does suggest there's some other reason. The supporters don't seem to rate him either. Look at http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25534679: "Any player(s) you'd be happy to wave goodbye to?
Loanee Toby Agdestein has not impressed. He has not had that many chances, but never shows much grit and determination. Very easily dispossessed."

They evidently thought he was on loan too...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Have to say, Gus really did bring in some duffers for that development squad. Bergkamp and those two argies were gash as well.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Have to say, Gus really did bring in some duffers for that development squad. Bergkamp and those two argies were gash as well.

Dunno how much Poyet had to do with him, but when Christian Baz tried a bicycle-kick volley in a pre-season friendly which actually worked the 'keeper, I thought we'd signed the love child of Garrincha and Diego Maradona. Wasn't to be. Shame, really - proper flair*, he was.

*I believe that's the NSC-approved term.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'd assume Gus would still have had some input into who was recruited into the DS.
JFC and now Ince are the only players who have made the step-up, although Cook looked decent as well but was never given a chance. March looks promising. Hardly been a production line though has it - which is why I'm always a bit "meh" whenever we get a signing for the DS. Hopefully Lancing will see an improvement over time.

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove
I'd assume Gus would still have had some input into who was recruited into the DS.
JFC and now Ince are the only players who have made the step-up, although Cook looked decent as well but was never given a chance. March looks promising. Hardly been a production line though has it - which is why I'm always a bit "meh" whenever we get a signing for the DS. Hopefully Lancing will see an improvement over time.

The law of diminishing returns are in force the higher we go up the league(s).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Bournemouth Echo says bigger clubs are looking at Cook now, Easy. He may be one we let go a bit too soon.

Mmm. He was one I was disappointed to see go. He always looked a very capable defender, but was always just too far down the pecking order here to ever get a proper run in the side. Couldn't blame him for leaping at the chance when Bournemouth came in, as L1 (at the time) was probably the right level at that stage of his career to make the step-up to regular 1st team appearances. Good as he is, he might have struggled playing regularly at Championship level when we had him here, so it was more a question of timing that kept him out. But I do agree, he is destined for bigger and better than Bournemouth, thats for sure.

The law of diminishing returns are in force the higher we go up the league(s).

Agreed. Needs to improve though with the advent of FFP, and the new training ground and academy gives us the best chance of that. Theres nothing I'd love more than to see our own youngsters coming through and really making an impact on the 1st team.

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
hmm player comes on for cameo appearances and pockets an appearance fee? wonder if he was sharing it with anyone? :fishing:

Or could it have been as simple as there was an automatic contract extension based on number of appearances that the club could trigger if they wanted to so they made sure that he hit enough games incase they wanted to keep him?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Of course he had a say. What the guys referring to is the Bergkamp / Gus / Stephenson debacle - which now seems v interesting with Gus' recent history..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here