Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ticket sales for pre season friendlies

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
That's not what was quoted on here a few days ago, hope you are right though
Really, I didn't see that, my information came from the father of a Sussex player, but they've been known to be wrong before!

Anyway it wouldn't really worry me. This is the cricket season and an Ashes summer and given than everything else is equal (which it is as they're both friendlies) I'd rather watch the Sussex reserves than the Albion first team. Just my personal preference. I'll feel differently when the football season starts.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Are they both evening kick-offs? (Haven't bothered checking before because I wasn't intending on going). That makes it a bit trickier. Also he's none too steady on his pins so we'd need transport and there's no P&R is there? I appreciate this info is probably on the club website but NSC is easier to read.

Yeah Villarreal is 7.30pm Saturday and Norwich is 7.45pm Tuesday. Pretty sure there is no park and ride so the only real option would be to buy parking at the ground.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Cheers. Plans might change again!

Mine did when I realised. Not blaming the club or offering any form of criticism (well, apart from lack of even one park and ride perhaps...). Just a shame as I thought a nice Saturday afternoon friendly would be a great introduction to The Amex for an elderly relative who couldn't cope with the crowds etc.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
As stated on another thread, why is anybody concerned what the crowd will be? Crowds for friendlies in the past two seasons were an anomaly caused by the opening of the new stadium (everybody wanted to see it) and high level opponents. They're now settling down to levels experienced by pretty much every other club in the league, ie minimal.

Before SkySports got involved and tried to convince us that the Samsung Tsingtao Nintendo Hyundai Sucky Sucky Five Dollar Asia Super Challenge Tournament between MANCHESTER CITY!, TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR!, Sydney FC and the President's Elite Bangkok All Stars XI was somehow important to the big world of football, few of us gave a toss about pre season friendlies. I've been watching the Albion since 1986 (I think) and I never once went to a pre season friendly at the Goldstone, nor, I think, did I bother visiting Withdean outside of regulation games. I just don't really care what we do in a game with rolling subs and no hard tackling, against a mid table Premier League club. I went to Whitehawk the other week as I had nothing better to do, it was cheap, and a great excuse to sit in the sunshine and talk football again , but generally I'm not fussed. I don't feel that makes me a bad fan, or is any reflection on the Albion as a club.

If you're keen enough, that's fine by me, go and enjoy it, and I'll happily listen to you telling me what you thought of any new players and how you think Oscar is working. That's great. I just don't feel the need to bother going myself. Nothing to do with price, or transport. It's still July. I can't wait for the season to start, but I'll wait for the real thing, thanks.

Erm there's a lot of waffle there if u dont mind me saying..a simple not going would have sufficed..its not a hanging offence

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Well I'm going to both games being a real fan and all. :rolleyes:

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Erm there's a lot of waffle there if u dont mind me saying..a simple not going would have sufficed..its not a hanging offence

And to think you're usually such a diplomat Lamie. :rolleyes:

Mine did when I realised. Not blaming the club or offering any form of criticism (well, apart from lack of even one park and ride perhaps...). Just a shame as I thought a nice Saturday afternoon friendly would be a great introduction to The Amex for an elderly relative who couldn't cope with the crowds etc.

I thought the reason it was Saturday evening was because they didn't want to clash with the cricket so people could do both. Damned if you do...

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Like many I've lost the enthusiasm for friendlies. I might have considered it to see a few new signings but Upson we already know about so really it would only be to see Chickson at the moment. K.O time for a Saturday is also not great IMO.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Ticket office and the powers that be must be bitterly dissapointed with the take-up when i phoned up for tickets when they went on sale they ssaid they were expecting audiences in the region of 15k for both.

I just hope it doesn't put the club off excellent pricing initiatives such as these if the take-up is so poor.

15K? :lol:

Think they will be lucky to get into five figures. Glorified training sessions are not a big draw in leafy Sussex. :) Maybe next year they will try and get better opposition.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
15K? :lol:

Think they will be lucky to get into five figures. Glorified training sessions are not a big draw in leafy Sussex. :) Maybe next year they will try and get better opposition.

In fairness to the club they have scheduled two home friendlies against Premier League and La Liga opposition.

If people are expecting Barcelona and Juventus to turn up then they're dreaming.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
[/B]
In fairness to the club they have scheduled two home friendlies against Premier League and La Liga opposition.

If people are expecting Barcelona and Juventus to turn up then they're dreaming.

I posted this on another thread, but when FDM wanted his testimonial against Ajax, the club were expected to pay for travel, hotel fees and to donate ticket sales. I cannot blame the club for turning it down. Big names are all very well but cost a bomb.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
I haven't been to a friendly since the Tottenham game back at the Goldstone with Peter Smith flying down the wing, I think we lost 3-0, anyway I'm going to the Crawley game, only cos it's within walking distance and want to see if anything has changed yet to the playing style. I should imagine it's going to take part of the season before we really see any difference.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I posted this on another thread, but when FDM wanted his testimonial against Ajax, the club were expected to pay for travel, hotel fees and to donate ticket sales. I cannot blame the club for turning it down. Big names are all very well but cost a bomb.

I think that's a very good point u've made there

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
As stated on another thread, why is anybody concerned what the crowd will be? Crowds for friendlies in the past two seasons were an anomaly caused by the opening of the new stadium (everybody wanted to see it) and high level opponents. They're now settling down to levels experienced by pretty much every other club in the league, ie minimal.

Before SkySports got involved and tried to convince us that the Samsung Tsingtao Nintendo Hyundai Sucky Sucky Five Dollar Asia Super Challenge Tournament between MANCHESTER CITY!, TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR!, Sydney FC and the President's Elite Bangkok All Stars XI was somehow important to the big world of football, few of us gave a toss about pre season friendlies. I've been watching the Albion since 1986 (I think) and I never once went to a pre season friendly at the Goldstone, nor, I think, did I bother visiting Withdean outside of regulation games. I just don't really care what we do in a game with rolling subs and no hard tackling, against a mid table Premier League club. I went to Whitehawk the other week as I had nothing better to do, it was cheap, and a great excuse to sit in the sunshine and talk football again , but generally I'm not fussed. I don't feel that makes me a bad fan, or is any reflection on the Albion as a club.

If you're keen enough, that's fine by me, go and enjoy it, and I'll happily listen to you telling me what you thought of any new players and how you think Oscar is working. That's great. I just don't feel the need to bother going myself. Nothing to do with price, or transport. It's still July. I can't wait for the season to start, but I'll wait for the real thing, thanks.

You won't be going then. You could have saved all energy.

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
Like many I've lost the enthusiasm for friendlies. I might have considered it to see a few new signings but Upson we already know about so really it would only be to see Chickson at the moment. K.O time for a Saturday is also not great IMO.

Completely agree.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I work near the shop in Queens Road and so many have said that they would have gone if they could have popped down to the ticket office but travelling all the way out to the Amex, making phones calls or registering to do online are not the ways to attract the casual fan, or even the many tourists in town who could pass the Queens Road shop and not even know that there were affordable games to watch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here