Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Three Minute Hero' - You Decide.....

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Also- Zesh Rehman.

Came on loan to us, had reasonably high expectations, not least of which was due to his position as one of very few British Asians to have carved a professional career here, scored a beauty at Rushden & Diamonds, & his career pretty much went downhill from there.

Last heard of playing in the Far East I think.

Spencer Vignes

Oct 4, 2012
Hi folks,

Can I just thank you all for your thoughts and contributions. Seriously, you really are a mine of information.

It's going to be a difficult choice, but reading through your posts a few names clearly stand out. I half wish I'd posted this thread a few months ago as some of the suggestions you've made are probably more worthy than a couple of the players I'd already written about. Ho hum......

Over the coming days I'll read through the list and at some point make a decision. In order to be fair to the team which produces the programme, I won't really be in a position to say which player I'm going with until closer to the Yeovil game. I'll probably post a thread the night before the match saying who it is, and explaining why I picked that particular player above the others.

Thanks once again and by all means feel free to keep the suggestions coming.

Spencer

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Brian Dear

Shirty

Daring to Zlatan
Also- Zesh Rehman.

Came on loan to us, had reasonably high expectations, not least of which was due to his position as one of very few British Asians to have carved a professional career here, scored a beauty at Rushden & Diamonds, & his career pretty much went downhill from there.

Last heard of playing in the Far East I think.

I seem to remember him having a second loan spell with us, which was significantly less successful than the first....

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
Does anyone remember Peter Knight, who was, I believe, discovered playing for Brighton Co-op (or Post Office) in Preston Park and was signed up during the famous 64-65 season ? He scored one goal v Bradford City in a 3-3 at the Goldstone (I remember it well) and seemed to vanish shortly afterwards.

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
I was thinking of him too. The golden goal (was it against Fulham or am I imagining that?) alone makes him part of a pretty elite- if not unique- group.

Better memory than me but, just checked and you're right - was Fulham.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Two more: Ivar Ingamarsson and Dean Blackwell - together they nearly saved us in 2003.
However I think that the pick has to be Barry Rees.
Agree,Barry Rees was probably one of the best players ever to wear the stripes...his unfortunate death in a road crash robbed us of one of the greats.

Spencer Vignes

Oct 4, 2012
Dear all,

Spencer Vignes here - scribe, consumer of real ale and contributor to our match day magazine Seagull.

Last month, as some of you might remember, I asked North Stand Chat to decide which player I should write about for the final 'Three Minute Hero' feature of the regular season. You responded with some excellent suggestions and I had the difficult (if pleasurable) job of deciding who to go with.

In the end I went for Barrie Rees, a wonderful young talent who died far too young in a car accident near Nuneaton in 1965. To be honest I was taken aback how often his name cropped up in your suggestions - proof that (a) some of you have very long memories, and (b) the extent of Albion knowledge on here is, quite frankly, unparalleled. You are the antidote to those marketing men and media types out there who would have us believe that football was only invented circa 1992.

Barry's story will therefore appear in tonight's match day programme. I only hope I've done him justice.

Can I just thank you again all for your thoughts and contributions. They made for fantastic reading.

Up the Albion!
Spencer

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here